SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trunk fuse out, how to open trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 01:53 PM
Drewmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk fuse out, how to open trunk?

This is a sad,sad tale...

Some guy reversed into me in a parking lot. Minor damage to the rear end. Had the back end repaired, all looked good again.

Couple of weeks later the battery went flat. Monitoring the battery for current drain, I found something was draining power even when everything was supposed to be off.

Suspecting the problem was caused by the repair work, I went to the trunk, pulled out the fuses of the fourth fuse box located there to see if I could isolate it. The trunk lights didn't go off, so the meter connected to the battery still showed some current drain. No problem, I shut the trunk, and lo and behold, the current drain disappeared. Sure enough, I reckoned it was something in the repair work that was messed up.

OK, went to pop the trunk.... you've guessed it. The fuses that operates the trunk lock, the roof opener and the gas cap are all in the trunk. How dumb is that???

So now I'm stuck. I even locked the user manual in there! So if anyone has any ideas how to open the trunk manually, or even how to get inside to get at the internal manual release (in the trunk) without resorting to a can opener I would most greatly appreciate it.

I've tried pulling out the back seat but it appears that there is a solid welded panel into the rear, so there is no access that way that I can see. There must be way in - what if the fuse went normally, or if the lock jammed? Any ideas please?
Old 01-19-08, 02:21 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

hidden under the arm rest, there's a wire. Check out this link,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=open+trunk

And welcome to the boards!
Old 01-19-08, 03:22 PM
Drewmo
Driver School Candidate

Mega Mega Thanks!!!!!!

I went out to the garage in eager anticipation, only to be crushed when I opened the box, cleared out the junk and saw nothing in the bottom. Totally dejected and depressed, I went back in to my computer to re-read the post. Fortunately I had hidden the sharp implements earlier that day, otherwise this story might have had a very sad ending!

I scrolled down to Talwangs photo and realized that you have to lift up the mat at the bottom to expose the lever! Rushing back out to the garage I was ecstatic to find the mat lifted and there it was, the mechanical lever.

A couple of questions run through my mind, like,
1) why would you put the fuse that controls the trunk release in the trunk...
2) why would you hide the mechanical release lever...

Oh well, I am forever in your debt for your fast and accurate response (I'm still waiting for the local Lexus service department to return my cal...!)

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-19-08, 05:43 PM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

Ooh...I'm late to this thread...would have asked...are you in the trunk? If you are in the trunk, you could have pulled the green glow-in-the-dark lever!
Old 01-19-08, 06:01 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Drew, they hide it so it's unknown to most people. It is in the manual if you look it up, and because no one knows about it, its not as junky looking. I assume its also right there because it would be a straight shot to the trunk. no real turns or bends.

And the search button will probably come up with every single answer to about anything your asking.

And I'm glad you find it so great here. Everyone is friendly, and helpful.
Old 01-19-08, 06:43 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PVlexus
It is in the manual if you look it up
He was unlucky to lock the manual in the trunk, otherwise he would have fixed it in 5 mins without tearing up the rear seat.