SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How do you change a tail/brake light on a 2003 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 10:55 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by robbieboy
Thanks Bgw70, that explains why the dash light remains on. It thinks the bulb is out. I really like the light output from the LED bulb so I am going to purchase a couple of load resisters for each tail light and install. Is there a recommended wattage for the resistor? Thanks
i used these 50watt, 3ohm resistors in my Accord and they did the trick. 4ohm should be fine too. If you install them, be sure they cannot touch any plastic because they will get hot after about 30 seconds or so. Also, please take some pics of the installation.
i found mine on eBay...around $10 for the pack.

Old 07-20-17, 11:07 AM
robbieboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I plan to pick up some 6 ohm load resistors from Pep Boys and install I will post pics of the installation.
Old 07-21-17, 02:48 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

We've tried the resistors with LED bulbs in tail lights. The link below Caseone tied to use same concept with LED rings. Didn't work out. If you do not use the resistors with LED bulbs you get the light on the dash. If you use the resistor with the bulbs it would trip a fault and the tail light function would fail (but there would be no dash light error- guy driving. behind me told me that my tail lights weren't illuminated with the headlights but stop lights would indicate when i was braking). Brakes still responded but the night tail light function stopped working. I would have to battery disconnect the car, remove the resistor, reconnect battery. Then the tail light function would return. Read more here...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...and-video.html

But if you find a way, please let us know. I got exhausted after trying for about two days to get the tail light function back and avoid the dash light error. Caseone tried different ohm load resistors and so on with very complicated electrical equations to find the right ohm resistance. He got exhausted too and bailed on the angel eyes project after they burned out on him

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-21-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 08:58 PM
robbieboy
Driver School Candidate

I installed Pep Boy load resistors across the Green/White (Brake Light) and White/Black (Ground) Wires and the dash light indicator remained lit. I also tried installing the resistor across the Green (Running Light) and White/Black (Ground) Wires and also the dash light indicator remained lit. So I gave up and purchased replacement 7443 incandescent bulbs and all is working fine. I will post pictures of the tail light removed for those that need to replace a burned out taillight / brake light bulb. If others have a solution for installing the LED brake light bulb, I'd be much appreciative to learn about that
Old 07-25-17, 09:02 PM
robbieboy
Driver School Candidate

tailight on 2003 Lexus SC430
clip removed wit screwdriver exposing bolt
bolt removed and taillight assembly removed by sliding back
7443 LED light bulb installed but dash light indicator remained on even after inatalling a load resistor ;-(
Old 07-26-17, 08:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Go and put tape over the light on the instrument cluster, no more light. That’s what I did when I switched over to the LED lights.
Old 07-26-17, 07:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by robbieboy
I installed Pep Boy load resistors across the Green/White (Brake Light) and White/Black (Ground) Wires and the dash light indicator remained lit. I also tried installing the resistor across the Green (Running Light) and White/Black (Ground) Wires and also the dash light indicator remained lit. So I gave up and purchased replacement 7443 incandescent bulbs and all is working fine. I will post pictures of the tail light removed for those that need to replace a burned out taillight / brake light bulb. If others have a solution for installing the LED brake light bulb, I'd be much appreciative to learn about that
did you happen to ohm the light bulb to find out the resistance value, then that size resistor?
Old 07-27-17, 06:17 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
did you happen to ohm the light bulb to find out the resistance value, then that size resistor?
BGW, do canbus error free bulbs not work? Maybe they are just that sensitive to the resistance level. I know my Land Rover is that way. If you want led then you pretty much need to buy upgraded taillight assemblies with resistors already in them. The problem even extends to incandescent bulbs. Some barnds won't work because the resistance is just off a little from the value of the Oem bulb. So if you buy a led bulb and resistor, you have to be dead on with the Oem bulb.

lol to make things worse with the LR3, when it shows a brake light out you can't take it out of park. I always have a two pack of bulbs in the glovebox. I've never had one burn out though. I understand there were a few years when some Chevrolet trucks were that way too.
Old 07-27-17, 06:44 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry to interject here and I hate to be the soggy towel but I feel like you guys are wasting your time. We really went in depth trying all options possible out there. Caseone measured the resistance in multiple bulbs across multiple brands, I tried about 4 different sets of load resistors and the end result was the same; either the dash light stayed illuminated or as with MY 2002, it shorted out the ECU causing me to lose the night time function of the tail light. As for the turn signals (front and rear), they do make a Canbus that prevents the hyperflashing. Unfortunately, the diameter is larger than the OEM and thus you will have to trim one of the flaps on the inner side of the bulb housing. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but believe me after dedicating so much time and trips to auto stores all over the area to try different bulbs and resistors, would hate for you to waste your time and money doing the same.

In the end, I recommend to save up (time and money) and set up an alert for the rear tail lights on eBay. I got a full set for $500 from NY, brand new. Then I covered the dash light with tape. I'm always on the lookout for the light ECU but until then, I'm happy.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-27-17 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-27-17, 06:53 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Sorry to interject here and I hate to be the soggy towel but I feel like you guys are wasting your time. We really went in depth trying all options possible out there. Caseone measured the resistance in multiple bulbs across multiple brands, I tried about 4 different sets of load resistors and the end result was the same; either the dash light stayed illuminated or as with MY 2002, it shorted out the ECU causing me to lose the night time function of the tail light. As for the turn signals (front and rear), they do make a Canbus that prevents the hyperflashing. Unfortunately, the diameter is larger than the OEM and thus you will have to trim one of the flaps on the inner side of the bulb housing. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but believe me after dedicating so much time and trips to auto stores all over the area to try different bulbs and resistors, would hate for you to waste your time and money doing the same.
Shawn , it's not being a pessimist, you're just stating fact from experience. So basically it's like the Land Rover. If you want led you buy a whole led assembly. In this case the 06 and up tail lights .
Old 07-27-17, 07:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

In the end, I recommend to save up (time and money) and set up an alert for the rear tail lights on eBay. I got a full set for $500 from NY, brand new. Then I covered the dash light with tape. I'm always on the lookout for the light ECU but until then, I'm happy.
i thought most of the other thread had to do with the failure of the angel eyes not using load resistors to stop the hyper flashing and the dash light.
i read the thread again and he said the load resistors worked but the angel eyes would flicker or they were dim and he thought heat or the lack of a voltage regulator destroyed them.

i only saw where 6ohm load resistors were used.

or did I miss the post where the load resistors would not work?
did anyone try 5,4 or 3 Ohm resistors?
Old 07-29-17, 06:14 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If the black tape bothers anyone it is relatively easy to pull the gauge cluster and then put a small piece of tape directly over the brake light fault led (behind the flexible semi-opaque plastic front panel). The light won't show and tape will be hidden. You do lose the brake fault light indicator this way - the OEM style leds are extremely long lived, never heard or read of even one set of OEM led brake lights failing on a Lexus - but many 3rd party sourced leds (like the stuff on ebay) are short lived junk. If you do this I'd be careful to restore the fault light if you ever sell the car - not good to sell a car with any kind of altered gauge cluster. But it would take 10 min max to remove and reinstall.
Old 04-30-20, 12:28 AM
Rohan10600
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear indicator housing

That's not true. Another member and I took on a huge testing of the lighting system. Search for Angel Eyes Brake Lights for the thread. The dash error light will illuminate with any change to the stop or tail light to LED, sometimes after a few minutes of driving once the brake pedal is pressed. Blinkers never triggered the dash light BUT did lead to hyperflashing. There is a product for blinkers called Error Free that I use but I did have to alter the plastic housing of the tail lights. I had to break out the 'cup' inside the bulb holder since the error free bulb is taller than OEM bulb.
Hey mate how did you break the cup of the indicator housing? I'm keen but I'm worried I'll crack the whole housing!