SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 03:35 PM
Microcon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still looking for PPN-13KA12C

Has anyone found a source for these yet? Or better yet, would anyone with extras like to sell just one? I've got my DVD player all torn apart on my desk and now that I have the infamous motor removed, I would be really happy to get a new one and put this thing back together before I forget how. So anyone with extras, please take pity on me as a fellow Lexus owner.

Or alternatively, I'm thinking about ordering a minimum quantity for $300 if anyone else is still looking for this part. I figure that's still cheaper than buying a replacement unit.

Last edited by Microcon; 05-27-09 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 09:16 AM
Microcon
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't know if anybody is still reading this forum

I just received this reply from a sales rep at NMB Technologies
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hi Frank,

I have had so many requests in the last couple months from Lexus owners. Unfortunately, I have not found a solution for any of them. The motor we make for Denso is proprietary to Denso, so the minimum order quantity is not the only issue. I have heard from several Lexus owners calling in that they have seen the part number listed with distributors, but ever one says out of stock.

I am sorry I can not be of further help.

Regards,
Kirsten
Old 06-07-09, 02:29 PM
NGREENE
Driver School Candidate

Default Still hoping to find a motor...

I would consider going in on a group order.
Old 06-07-09, 03:51 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
You can check the disc by putting it into your computer's dvd drive, and looking at the files using "windows explorer" or any file system utility. If the disc is good, you will be able to see the directories and the file names (but of course they won't run on your computer).

If that does not work, then the disc is bad, although I don't know how a disc can go from being OK to being unreadable while in the drive, which generally cannot scratch, bend or otherwise damage a disc. The most probable failure is in the dvd drive in the car, as it's the most delicate.
tfisher, this is an excellent suggestion for all 02SC owners who might run into this problem in the future .
Old 07-14-09, 04:43 PM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Hi - Has anyone had luck tracking down a source for these motors? My '01 GS430 navigation had this problem come up this past Friday out of nowhere. Tried reinserting the disc, tried keeping the battery cable disconnected for 15 minutes, no luck with anything and am guessing that my motor died out also...
Old 07-17-09, 06:51 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Well, my ECU decided to take a turn for the worse after fixing it. I started getting a message: "Program Disk is Installed". I've tried everything, no dice!

I found a Gen 4 ECU in a salvaged Prius for $400 and went for it. So long to the Gen 2! Gen 4 is the latest you can upgrade to with just plug and play.

Last edited by blueridge; 07-19-09 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-15-09, 02:17 PM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

Hey, havent been on in awhile ... found this guy on eBay and ordered a new drive .. check it out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 08-15-09, 02:33 PM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

Default Motor Page

I found this page and ordered a motor for mine which is not the ppn motor, I have a 2002 Camry .. anyway .. cant get it back together lol .. gonna cost $25, so I reccommend if you find one, order a "sample order " of ?? .. that way you can get a few for a buck a piece and sell them if you want or keep spares .. shipping is very expensive and they want payment via western union .. good luck!

http://www.mafukbu.com/sdp/327103/4/...-692080-1.html
Old 08-15-09, 04:34 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
Well, my ECU decided to take a turn for the worse after fixing it. I started getting a message: "Program Disk is Installed". I've tried everything, no dice!

I found a Gen 4 ECU in a salvaged Prius for $400 and went for it. So long to the Gen 2! Gen 4 is the latest you can upgrade to with just plug and play.
Say blueridge. Did you just replace the drive that sits in the trunk (shown in the ebay link by direditor 2 entries above) or was there more to replacing gen 2 with gen 4 ECU? Does that also improve the GUI?
Old 08-15-09, 04:59 PM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

I am guessing for that price it was an ECU .. the whole box that goes in the trunk, will let yall know if this dvd replacement drive works when I get it this week. It looks the same even though it is for a 2004 on up. I called and he (ELI) said the hardware hadn't changed and should work.
Old 08-18-09, 09:19 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
Say blueridge. Did you just replace the drive that sits in the trunk (shown in the ebay link by direditor 2 entries above) or was there more to replacing gen 2 with gen 4 ECU? Does that also improve the GUI?
The whole ECU (box) in the trunk. I unplugged my bricked Gen 2 and plugged in the Gen 4. That's it, you'd never know it came from a Prius by looking at the screen. Same part number (86841-50090) as any Gen 4 in a Lexus or Toyota.

Gen 4 is the highest you can go without a lot of rewiring. The plugs are the same for Gen 2-4.

Last edited by blueridge; 08-18-09 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-20-09, 07:31 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by direditor
I am guessing for that price it was an ECU .. the whole box that goes in the trunk, will let yall know if this dvd replacement drive works when I get it this week. It looks the same even though it is for a 2004 on up. I called and he (ELI) said the hardware hadn't changed and should work.
Any luck with this drive? I went ahead and got one too for my Gen 2 for a back up and it's a completely different drive. From the wiring to the fit. I then thought: Since my Gen 4 is used, I'll just drop this new one in....Well, wrong fit for Gen 4 too.

Last edited by blueridge; 08-20-09 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 09:53 AM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacement Drive

Ugh, drive is slightly larger and has a different connector with more pins. Seeing if I can return it for a refund, the search goes on !! I see a used ECU on eBay for $700 .. good lord :-(
Old 08-21-09, 10:43 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Yeah, it's even different than the Gen 4 that I got. I figured I would hang on to it as a replacement but when I compared it, slightly different.

Look other places than e bay. Cheaper prices in salvage yards!
Old 08-21-09, 10:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

What model years were the gen 4 ECUs used?

If a gen 4 unit fails in a '02 SC430, will the warranty cover it since it is an Lexus OEM device? (I haven't been able to get an answer to that one yet.)

Quick Reply: 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"