SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-09, 07:04 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by direditor
argh .. this has been great info and I was able to pull my nav computer apart with no problems, actually found a PPN13KA12C inside an old hp cd rom I had .. argh .. the one in my nav is smaller and I can't find the part anywhere ! It is a 3/4 inch sized motor with part number N3V 0Z01 on the motor.. nav system ecu is Toyota 86841-33060 / 462100-0433 12v Denso. It all came apart as described in that wonderful post from kjenkinz .. smaller motor .. help !!!!!
want to sell me the PPN13KA12C you have??? Let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-18-09, 07:06 PM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pic of the 2 motors ..
Old 04-18-09, 07:09 PM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

Default dvd drive motor

trying to add a pic
Attached Thumbnails 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"-nav-drive-motor.jpg  
Old 04-18-09, 07:13 PM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

How much .. lol
Old 04-18-09, 07:35 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much .. lol
check PM.........
Old 04-18-09, 09:39 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

I just tore into this thing and found the motors able to turn freely. I'm wondering if I have another issue. I get the No Disk error occasionally, but my Destination screen buttons are always greyed out.

I'm going to hook it up w/o the cover and see if I have a disk spinning.
Old 04-19-09, 10:17 AM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

Here is the problem, mine spun freely by hand but after hooking a d cell battery to the motor I found it had a bad spot. Would work then when I put juice to it, then no workee without twisting the motor back a half turn. Guess there is a bad spot in the motor winding. Was yours the PPN motor or the N3V motor ?
Old 04-19-09, 05:33 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

I have two motors, the PPN13KA12C actually controls the disk intake and eject. There is another one that drives the DVD reader. I'm sure if they're both the same or not, the drive gears are different though. I found that the motor driving the DVD reader was loose and it had issues turning freely because it was un seated. I seated it firmly back into place and everything works fine, for now.

Thankfully, I fixed this without replacement parts for now. I talked to the guy at: http://www.smcelectronics.com/cdrep.htm and he said he's sold out. He had 50 orders in a week. He's trying to find another supplier but is having a hard time.

So, for whoever bulked ordered this to make a profit, thanks!
Old 04-20-09, 01:48 PM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

Did not see the PPN motor, did you have to dig into the dvd carriage itself to get to it? On mine all I see is what looks like a round motor for the dvd drive, the N3V motor looks to drive the laser and eject mechanism. Found a place on the internet that has a motor that looks like the N3V and ordered 2. Will update when I get one to install.
http://www.motors.wrobots.com/mini-dc-motors.php
Old 04-20-09, 02:19 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
I have two motors, the PPN13KA12C actually controls the disk intake and eject. There is another one that drives the DVD reader. I'm sure if they're both the same or not, the drive gears are different though. I found that the motor driving the DVD reader was loose and it had issues turning freely because it was un seated. I seated it firmly back into place and everything works fine, for now.

Thankfully, I fixed this without replacement parts for now. I talked to the guy at: http://www.smcelectronics.com/cdrep.htm and he said he's sold out. He had 50 orders in a week. He's trying to find another supplier but is having a hard time.

So, for whoever bulked ordered this to make a profit, thanks!
Damn, I should have ordered all of them.
Probably some repair shop did that if what SMC told you is true.

You guys can also try to find a good used Matsu****a CD/DVD drive on ebay. Who knows you may get the correct motor inside.

I was originally googling for a Matsu****a drive for my friend whose nav was broken, but found that SMC link by chance.
Old 04-20-09, 03:19 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Here is the problem, mine spun freely by hand but after hooking a d cell battery to the motor I found it had a bad spot. Would work then when I put juice to it, then no workee without twisting the motor back a half turn. Guess there is a bad spot in the motor winding. Was yours the PPN motor or the N3V motor ?
I have a Gen 2, the PPN motor that I have has the screw type gear as shown here. In my Gen 2 that motor drives the disk intake and eject gears and rollers. There is another motor that looks like the PPN but with a different gear that drives the DVD eye housing. THAT motor was the one that I found unseated. I did not take it out to look at the part #. The gear on the motor was a small round back one.
Old 04-20-09, 04:00 PM
direditor
Driver School Candidate

Got ya, I am guessing after searching around on the internet I have a Gen 3 computer that has the part number sticker on it ... Toyota 86841-33060 / 462100-0433 12v Denso
Old 04-20-09, 07:39 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Yes, you have a gen 3. I have a gen 2 (86841-50010). I've only heard of the gen 2's going down like this. From what I heard, the gen 3's and later have much improved laser eyes and motors. It appears the gen 3 and gen 2 have the same PPN motor, but the gen 3 has a beefed up "other motor" that secures better from what I can tell from the picture above.

My "other motor" is much smaller and is held in place by a small clip, no screws.
Old 05-07-09, 04:15 AM
DaveEC
Driver School Candidate

Question Compatibility

Have been following these posts with interest, and in my pursuit to get my
02 RX300 Navigation up and running, and coming up with the common frustration of not finding the infamous PPN13KA12C, I have a question I've not found addressed here. What generation of systems are interchangeable? I have 86841-47020. What other numbers might work and what won't, in case I can find an affordable replacement DVD box.
Old 05-14-09, 09:04 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

I know Gen 2 and 3 are plug and play compatible. I have seen a few posts of people upgrading to Gen 4 with no problems. I think anything newer than 4 is not possible without some serious re wiring.

Quick Reply: 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"