Navtool Installed with Back Up Camera. DIY Inside with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 12:10 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Navtool Installed with Back Up Camera. DIY Inside with Pictures

Here are the pictures...

Camera installed.. i had to drill a whole next to the original right bolt hole to feed the camera wire thru.

Next I found a spot to feed the camera wire in to the trunk.. i pulled out this rubber piece and cut a bit off the side to accomdate the wire when I put it back in place.(picture is from the view of sitting inside the trunk looking at the back of the car)

Now here is all the wires! LOL you can see the Navtool unit there with all the wires coming out of it. It only comes with the plug and play harness for one of the connections but you have to splice the rest which is a 12v accessory power, ground, and reverse signal which lets the navtool automatically switch to the camera when you place the car in reverse..

Here you can see the plugs on the back of the navunit. One which is a plug and play on the right and the one on the left is where you have to splice your accesory 12volt, ground, and reverse signal wire.

Now if look on the big 18 pin plug on the left you will find a Gray wire which is a accessory 12v volt wire. You want to splice that in to the power plug of the navtool with the sticker that says "12V" on it. Then you want to find the white wire with black stripe which is the ground wire on the plug and splice it in to your ground wire(other wire) on power plug to nav tool.

Next on your navtool you will find a blue wire labeled "camera" and a white wire with it which is the ground. You want to take the blue wire and splice in to that same harness. You want to splice it in to the reverse wire on that harness which is yellow with a red stripe. The white wire you will also want to ground.

The only wires you should have left on the navtool is another white wire and a green handbrake wire. If you want to ground those both as well if you would like to operate the DVD if you choose to install one without having the handbrake up.

thats it.. make sure everything else is plugged us and neatly tuck and mount everything.

heres a video of it in action.. click picture to view.

LASTLY here is what mine looks like when wires and cleaned up and navtool mounted with two way tape..

Last edited by VIPNiSS; 03-13-11 at 12:11 PM. Reason: title
Old 03-13-11, 05:25 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a picture of the nav screen in reverse. Thanks
Old 03-13-11, 06:28 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

here you go.. keep in mind this is 9:00PM at night.. it was dark out!

Old 03-13-11, 08:01 PM
Sapherynth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job VIP!!!! I am so glad that everything eventually worked out so well . I have hit a totally different kind of snag .Everything was going well and I was not paying attention and I ended up cutting one of the wires when splicing it and to make matters worse it is very close to the harness. So I have been battling with the harness trying to remove the pin and reconnect the wire. Lesson learned, embarassing!
Old 03-13-11, 08:05 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sapherynth
Nice job VIP!!!! I am so glad that everything eventually worked out so well . I have hit a totally different kind of snag .Everything was going well and I was not paying attention and I ended up cutting one of the wires when splicing it and to make matters worse it is very close to the harness. So I have been battling with the harness trying to remove the pin and reconnect the wire. Lesson learned, embarassing!
DOH!! you should be able to fix it though!
Old 03-13-11, 08:20 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

very nice. where did you buy the navtool from?
Old 03-13-11, 08:37 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing this mod together with LED taillight will save you some time.
Old 03-13-11, 08:54 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
very nice. where did you buy the navtool from?
eBay.. brand new i Paid $180 thru the "Best offer" option but people said $175 is also working..
Old 03-13-11, 08:55 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cyberlexus
Doing this mod together with LED taillight will save you some time.
i want to do the tail light. not sure if I want to shell out $700 just for the lights alone yet.
Old 03-13-11, 09:04 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im going to sheild the cables better when i do the led tail light, its also a good time to do a nav computer swap (3 gen to 4)....I hooked up a WD TV to mine as well with audio via the SLU check out my thread just added a video tonite.
Old 05-18-11, 03:29 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Help !! Help!! I tried to install the navtool. And it doesn't work. Does anyone know which black wire is the power and which one is the ground? One is black and the other is black with a white strip. Mine weren't marked. They also had the blue wire with 12v on it, but it you looked at the other side it said camera. Also I have three wires from my camera, one red one black and the other has the jack on it. I guessed where that one went. What about the other two. Spent the whole darn day in the trunk and nothing to show for it. I'm bummed!!! Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-18-11, 04:03 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

The black wire with the white stripe is your 12v on the navtool, you want to splice this with the gray wire on the harness of the navunit. The other black wire is the ground and can be grounded to a bolt or the ground on the nav unit harness.

The blue wire marked 12v/camera should be connected to yellow wire with the red stripe on the harness, this is the wire that switches your screen when you put the car in reverse.

The red wire on your camera is the 12v. You can also connect this to the gray wire on your harness which is the 12v wire. The black wire is ground..
Old 05-18-11, 04:35 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
i want to do the tail light. not sure if I want to shell out $700 just for the lights alone yet.
You might want to jump on it before someone else does.. Def. worth looking into.

Contact Beltsville Auto Recyclers

Questions/Concerns Contact us
Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm EST
Toll Free: 800-249-1681
Baltimore Area 410-355-1722
Metro DC Area 301-937-7333
Email: Andy@beltsvilleautoparts.com

Click on the individual items under the "Year and Model" or "Part Class, Condition and Option" columns in the grid to see part details.

Year and Model Part Class Cond & Option Grade Mileage Stock# Price Sorted in Ascending order. Click again to sort in Descending order Qty Contact Buy Online Image
06 SC430 Tail Lamp (Right) CLIP 2DR 10/05 100218 175.00 1 eMail

06 SC430 Tail Lamp (Left) CLIP 2DR 10/05 100218 175.00 1 eMail

Last edited by Emackny; 05-18-11 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 05:00 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Thank you! Thank you! I don't think I had one wire right. I guess that's why it didn't work. Now I'll get it right and it still won't work cause I blew it up. I knew something wasn't right cause I never could get the red light on the navtool to light. I did have power at the gray wire. I didn't check for power on the yellow-red wire to see if there was power when I put it in reverse. Tomorrow I'll try again, when my legs and my back have recovered.
Again thank you much, for the info and the quick response. This forum has the greatest members. IMHO

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
The black wire with the white stripe is your 12v on the navtool, you want to splice this with the gray wire on the harness of the navunit. The other black wire is the ground and can be grounded to a bolt or the ground on the nav unit harness.

The blue wire marked 12v/camera should be connected to yellow wire with the red stripe on the harness, this is the wire that switches your screen when you put the car in reverse.

The red wire on your camera is the 12v. You can also connect this to the gray wire on your harness which is the 12v wire. The black wire is ground..
Old 05-18-11, 06:19 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gottagitmines
You might want to jump on it before someone else does.. Def. worth looking into.

Contact Beltsville Auto Recyclers

Questions/Concerns Contact us
Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm EST
Toll Free: 800-249-1681
Baltimore Area 410-355-1722
Metro DC Area 301-937-7333
Email: Andy@beltsvilleautoparts.com

Click on the individual items under the "Year and Model" or "Part Class, Condition and Option" columns in the grid to see part details.

Year and Model Part Class Cond & Option Grade Mileage Stock# Price Sorted in Ascending order. Click again to sort in Descending order Qty Contact Buy Online Image
06 SC430 Tail Lamp (Right) CLIP 2DR 10/05 100218 175.00 1 eMail

06 SC430 Tail Lamp (Left) CLIP 2DR 10/05 100218 175.00 1 eMail
thanks for looking out. they are actually the first people i contact when I did this. THey have the whole rear clip and will not part out. I ended up getting everything from a junkyard in Canada for $550 shipped.. tail lights, reflectors, harness, and light out ecu. :P SCORE!

Quick Reply: Navtool Installed with Back Up Camera. DIY Inside with Pictures