SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Shaky at 60

Old 09-11-22, 04:18 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shaky at 60

I have gotten a lot of useful help here, in the 9 years of owning a 2002 SC430. One thing no dealer inspection, test drive or align/brake service has solved is kind of annoying.
The vehicle has a visible shimmy at or around 60mph ONLY when the car is first driven from full cold. I have replaced tires, had wheels brought true out of round, alignments, suspension and ball joint/control arm replacements over the years. NOTHING stops it, except of course for driving 2-4mph, at which point it doesn't really show. The only time outside that time/warmup distance that it has shown once or twice was while switching lanes under acceleration, same rel. speed range. I can only assume it is a NON tire/wheel issue, and novice as I am, have absolutely no idea what other component could simply be 'warming up' on the first run of the day (car isn't used for track, just concerned showing it to a buyer might make it appear sloppy)!
Are there any components that might cause this only when they're warming up? Power assist steering? Bushings of some kind?
I don't wanna spend thousands figuring it out, but it is weird!
Old 09-12-22, 10:29 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

So are you planning on selling the car? It maybe less aggravating to just tell the potential buyer that "the car shakes a little a 60mph, but you are not sure why"
Old 09-12-22, 12:47 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had a slight shimmy at 55-60 mph forever. It was slightly worse with OEM wheels and slightly better with my after market TSWs. I just try not to drive at those speeds. One thing about shimmys that go away after the car warms up - if you have flat spots on the tires due to being on a cold flat surface, after the tires warm up the shimmy usually goes away. Been the case for me with most of the cars I own anyway. I just let it be. As long as the old girl cruises well at 90 mph after she's all warmed up, I am good.
Old 09-12-22, 03:23 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

I did a search on YouTube and came up with these videos for u.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...r+shimmy+at+60

I think this one may be best for u
Old 09-13-22, 01:49 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I thought only mine does that. I, too, have this issue when the car is hitting 55-60 the first few rounds, and it goes away after that. It happens regardless if the car is cold or after 10-15 mins of lower-speed driving. The shaking also goes away at 65 MPH, but it shakes again when going back to 55-60. I would suspect the vibration will get worse as it goes faster, but that is not the case

Old 09-22-22, 08:32 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Default LEXu$ $C430

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
So are you planning on selling the car? It maybe less aggravating to just tell the potential buyer that "the car shakes a little a 60mph, but you are not sure why"
My only concern is, since it's not tires/wheels/other moving parts afaict....then what is a part of the steering or suspension I would say it's "about'......as I think w.o a tech qualification as to the source, I might be opening up a can of buyer concerns of huge component repair issues?
Old 09-23-22, 05:39 AM
tmakogon
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

this thread (link) describes numerous causes and remedies. Lighter wheels may help. Also all maintenance has to be done regularly: alignment, balance, tire inflation, bushings. This car likes to be maintained, not neglected.
Old 09-26-22, 02:08 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tmakogon
this thread (link) describes numerous causes and remedies. Lighter wheels may help. Also all maintenance has to be done regularly: alignment, balance, tire inflation, bushings. This car likes to be maintained, not neglected.
HAVE TO SAY YES, BUT: this car, and some of the other people replying, have kept the SC in good shape in the maintenance areas you're mentioning...and let's face it, this is really a gussied up Toyota Soarer insofar as high reliability-apart from that interference engine!
I can't confirm or deny anything other than OEM wheels, and I'm laughing at Santa Clause thinking anybody else would be a ocmplete fool to just go buy lightweight wheels for a check over of the suspension and all other stuff...ain't gonna happen.
There was one writer above who said he'd the same issue...but his was regardles whether car is warm or cold. My GUESS is its something in the steerinp pump which doesn't do full pressure in the lines until car has warmed, but then, you'd probably have inreased steering effort?
-What about he Flying Dutchman from Spongebob? Wouldn't he have the answer on these ships..."Aye, kiddies are you ready yet? I can't STEEER you?!"
Well no one is telling me this sounds like a safety issue....yet....>AAAAAGGGGH! Happy halloweed!
Old 09-27-22, 10:11 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

I don’t know but my 07 SC has not experienced ant shimmering and/or shaking at any speed. I still have OEM wheels.