SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Clearmask or Invisa-shield coatings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-01, 10:03 AM
beels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clearmask or Invisa-shield coatings?

What does everyone think about the plastic coatings that can be applied to the front of the cars to prevent rock chips? Invisa-shield and Clearmask are 2 names I've encountered. Clearmask is made for the automotive industry by 3M. Costs about $600-$700 for bumper, hood, mirrors, and lights on an SC430. Opinions?
Old 12-08-01, 11:19 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got the Xpel (3M) on the hood, mirrors, bumper and headlights and foglights.. So far so good.. The only way you know its is on you would have to look really close.. If you get it done make sure its professionally installed for best results.. I've seen some installed and you can see finger prints from guys who did it themselves..

Any vehicle I buy in the future will have this put on.. I learned my lesson on the GS.. Should of got that then I wouldn't have to sport the nose bra..
Old 12-08-01, 03:27 PM
FirstJapCar
Driver School Candidate

Default sheild on car

I had Stongard put on my SC430 professionally and I absolutely love and wish I would have done this on my other car that now has lots of stone chips visible. It is easy to remove if you decide later to replace it again or don't want it any more. I see no reason to remove it unless it gets really bad looking and I'd just replace it at this point. Stongard has a warranty also against yellowing and they use that same 3M product that XPEL and others use.
Old 12-09-01, 09:11 AM
TMitchell
Driver

I had it put on my GS430 and am happy with it.
Below is the link that shows it installed
http://www.smiley.net/GS430.htm
Old 12-14-01, 09:35 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Question

Stupid question, but wouldn't the paint look different from the parts you'd be able to wax and what actually is being covered? Also, does the film protect against UV rays because eventually wouldn't the paint look faded from one part to another? Not tryin to be a smart @$$ but I'm just tryin to figure out if it works well because I'd conider getting it for a couple of my cars. Thanks!
Old 12-14-01, 09:38 AM
FirstJapCar
Driver School Candidate

Default no UV Issue

I was told that the paint will still fade at the same rate.. there is only protection against yellowing but not uv protection for the paint itself.
Old 12-14-01, 07:01 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by genearch

How picky?

I had several large flourescent lights installed in my garage and I have a portable light tower that I use on the sides when I'm cleaning the car. I'm VERY picky and would not live with a sub-standard product. (I'm almost as picky as 2Savvy)
Nah i'm just ****.. I'm the guy you see wash behind the rims and then put the car up on ramps so I can put a coat of wax on the inside of the rim..

Anyways like Gene said the Xpel you can't even notice the seam that separates the protected edge from just the paint on the hood.. You have to look really close.. As for yellowing I was told the first versions of the 3M had some issues but that is no longer a problem.. Someone mentioned in another thread that you can apply wax on this product.. I can't verify if this is true or not since when I was applying Zaino I avoided any contact with the film.. As I said before if you get the 3M film done get a professional to put it down for you.. Application wise it is sort of like applying window tint but alot more difficult.. Hope that helps!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Ken
Old 12-16-01, 12:49 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Clearmask or Invisa-shield coatings?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by beels

"What does everyone think about the plastic coatings that can be applied to the front of the cars to prevent rock chips?"

I went for Lexus's High Quality Front-End Two Piece Nose-Mask for my Black / Saddle SC, and I'm very pleased and impressed with the Tight Fit and Finished Look, when Installed.

I've just finished puttting on the Second Coat of (ZAINO) Z-2, with a few small areas having a bit of Z-5 to smooth out some "mars" and minor abraisions, and the Front End looks great! Without the Front End Mask in place, the Enhanced Sheen and Higher Gloss on the Front End with 3 - 4 Coats of Z-2 and
Z-6, have me thinking that I simply could not have attained this High Level of "Wet Look" on the Black Clear Coat Paint, if I were to have applied the After Market Protective Shield Laminates.

I'm telling you Guys (and Gals) for the Darker Paints like Black Onynx, or especially on an "Absolutely Red", these ZAINO Show Car Finish Products are really out of this World!

"Seeing Is Believing!"

:eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 12-16-01 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-21-02, 10:06 AM
gkw
Rookie

Default AutoBahn from 3M

I picked up my SC 430 on Saturday and (as expected) this car is awesome! Great driving weekend here in New England...

Mine came with something called Autobahn (sp?) from 3M. It covers the front like a bra and even has a small patch under the gas filler. I was told by the dealer that 3M makes all those protective coatings. Professionally done, it really looks sharp (Indigo Ink Pearl).

My question - it appears that there is going to be a small issue of wax buildup where the coating meets the naked paint. What does everyone do to fix that?

Thanks - and wow I love this car!!!

GW
Old 10-21-02, 10:26 AM
TMitchell
Driver

I have had the film on for a little over a year and really like it. My GS430's paint is black cherry so the wax residue between the film and the naked paint really shows up. I just press my finger nail against a thin towel to remove the excess wax. It is a pain in the a**, but worth it.
Old 10-22-02, 02:43 PM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

I'm very interested in these clear bras and actualy watched it being professionally applied at the Mercedes dearlership. It does look great.

Is it the traditional method to get it right away when new? Or does it make sense to go the Zaino route and then apply over the Zaino wet look to "lock in" the wet look?

Any advice out there?

thanks,
Hugeness.
Old 10-22-02, 03:31 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default o.k.

they put on a solution to take of any chemicals or wax on the paint so I didn't bother to put my Zaino on until AFTER the XPel was put on. I get the feeling you'd just waste time trying to put some on before the cover is put on.

IMHO
Old 01-11-03, 12:58 AM
stongard
Driver School Candidate

It doesnt really matter if you use waxes before or after the clear bra is installed. The key is nothing with silicone base wax on the car. The 3M addhesive doesnt stick well to the paint with it on there.

As to your question on having it done when the car is new-

That is recommended by StonGard. It makes the most sense for the install and the customer before they start getting the relentless chips. It is not necessary.

The product just bonds better to newer surfaces thats all.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-08-08, 08:29 AM
BRIAN1172
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone come up with a way to clean bugs off this material, without scratching it?
Old 05-21-12, 08:54 AM
scratchwin
Driver School Candidate

Default Tailgaters

well, best hint is not to tailgate! Leave security distance.

Originally Posted by beels
What does everyone think about the plastic coatings that can be applied to the front of the cars to prevent rock chips? Invisa-shield and Clearmask are 2 names I've encountered. Clearmask is made for the automotive industry by 3M. Costs about $600-$700 for bumper, hood, mirrors, and lights on an SC430. Opinions?