SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Conti Comfort Kit used in replacing Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 03:57 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conti Comfort Kit used in replacing Run Flats

Below is the message I have received from Brendon at the Tire Rack answering my question on whether or not I can use the above kit so I may be able to feel secure in replacing my runflats with non runflats.

2006 SC 430 white/ecru

Re: Conti Comfort Kit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This topic has been an ongoing debate. Based on our testing and the information we have from the sensor manufacture, this product would not be recommended for use on this car. The sensor design is vulnerable to damage from the use of this type of product. It's much more sensitive than the older model sensors because of the backing plate design of the sensor. It could easily become clogged or plugged by the sealant.
Old 04-10-07, 06:15 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I wish they would have mentioned that last year when they sold me one.

In fact, both Conti and Tire Rack, as I recall, stated that the product was safe for runflats with tire pressure sensors -- this was one of the big selling points.

Bummer.
Old 04-10-07, 07:07 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Yes, I know. Before I received the emai from Brandon at the Tire Rack, I spoke to another rep there and he said it was safe for our cars because they had direct valve TPS. Obviously, he was wrong. I was going to get Michelin's PS2's or Pilot A/S to replace the Dunlop RFT's and get the Conti Kit for safety against flats. Since I cannot use the Conti Kit, I won't feel safe without a spare and unfortunetly will stick with RFT's.
Old 04-10-07, 07:39 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I spent some time talking to my Service Manager and others regarding the runflats at the time last year when my original RFTs were wearing out.

Sticking with the RFTs did not make sense for several reasons. First, of course, the ride and handling of the car is greatly improved with the Pilot tires. Secondly, RFTs are difficult and expensive to replace; rarely can they be repaired. If you are out of town, you will have to limp to some store or dealer who can refit the RFT with a new one, and those places are not always easy to find, and the tires are seldom "in stock." If you are on the road and in between towns, you will probably need a tow and it may be a day or so before the tire can be replaced. (Bad start to any vacation.)

So a flat in a run-flat under many circumstances, would be a major problem. (Only if you had the flat at home and could get the car to your dealer in the next 50 miles would it not be a major problem, just a minor problem.)

Without RFTs, and assuming no spare, you still need the tow, but a conventional tire can be readily repaired or replaced at just about any tire shop or service facility. Join AAA or some other road service and have that available. You could be back on the road in an hour or two instead of a day or two.

Also, carry the Conti kit, and in a pinch use it and maybe it will not screw up the sensor.

Also, I bought a spare tire and wheel from the dealer -- not the "spare tire kit" (which includes a lot of cosmetic additions to make the trunk look finished). I cover the spare with a $20.00 tire cover (designed for exterior spares on SUVs), and the spare sits in its well very tightly; I use this on road trips only. (You already have a jack and tools in the car.) Around town, I take out the spare and have the trunk space for use when the top is stored in the down position; and I'll call AAA if I have a flat.

There are risks here, of course, but I try to always take my cell phone with me when I drive the SC, and I am comforted by the fact that flats are rare. I haven't had one in over 10 years (maybe I'm due). I carry the Conti Kit for desperate situations.

I think having the spare covers me while I'm on the road, (when the top is always up anyway, at least until I get to the beach), and a flat at home is something I can deal with.

The much improved ride is worth it, especially when you consider that having a flat in a RFT can still be a major disruption and headache -- I think I am much better off without them.

We shall see.
Old 04-13-07, 06:38 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

So lets say things are dire and you use the Conti Comfort Kit and you are back on the road but the sensor is clogged or damaged by the sealant.

What's the approx. cost of a new sensor with installation?

Depending on the answer to this question, couldn't this still be a viable alternative even if you know you will mess up the sensor.

Anyone driving this car isn't going to miss a hundred bucks or so. OTOH, if we are talking thousands, that's a different story.
Old 04-13-07, 08:35 PM
stang
Driver School Candidate

I moved from RFT to PS2's which did not last too long and now have Michelin Pilot AS. I have yet to encounter a flat but I do not carry a spare.

I carry a battery powered compressor and a couple of pliers, a couple of tire repair implements and with a package of tire repair plugs. I had an opportunity to do a successful repair on a flat on my daughter's car. If I am unfortunate enough to have a flat I plan to use these tools to do a repair.

Am I missing something?
Old 04-13-07, 09:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by stang
I moved from RFT to PS2's which did not last too long and now have Michelin Pilot AS. I have yet to encounter a flat but I do not carry a spare.

I carry a battery powered compressor and a couple of pliers, a couple of tire repair implements and with a package of tire repair plugs. I had an opportunity to do a successful repair on a flat on my daughter's car. If I am unfortunate enough to have a flat I plan to use these tools to do a repair.

Am I missing something?
that takes a longass time and ur doing it on the hard shoulder of a highway which isnt where i like to spend a lot of time.

$40 conti-kit takes <5mins
Old 04-14-07, 03:15 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
$40 conti-kit takes <5mins
Plus possibly the cost of the sensor and replacement. Anyone know what that amount is?
Old 04-14-07, 09:58 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

This is what Sewell Lexus charges:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=19
Old 04-14-07, 06:24 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by abbeyrd

Thanks for the info. $375 is a little pricier than I would have liked, considering that doesn't even include labor.

I'm still trying to get comfortable with the idea of ditching the run-flats and not carrying a spare.

What's wrong with this scenario: I go with the Comfort Kit and use it if I get a flat. In the event that I mess up the tire presser monitoring valve by using it, I replace the valve with a regular valve and disable the tire pressure monitoring system, which I don't need anyway since I have "regular" tires.

Is there a flaw in that plan?
Old 04-15-07, 03:42 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

I am wondering that if you get rid of the sensors, does the car's computer know it and you get the TPMS light staying on? I am also trying to get comfortable with replacing the runflats but cannot quite do it yet. Don't forget to add the labor costs to the above. All together, it's not cheap.
Old 04-15-07, 06:21 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
Okay, so if I have two flats over the life of the car I may have to pay $750 for replacement tire sensors, which is about equal to the price I was quoted several years ago for the spare tire kit. For me, it is still worth it to have the extra trunk space.
Old 04-15-07, 10:04 AM
syoun10
Driver School Candidate

no, surely it's not this expensive ($750 for two flats). The $375 price for the sensor was for a set of 4, not one single one)!
Old 04-17-07, 11:42 AM
stevelaw
Driver

Default Luuuuke- use the discount..........

Price for the kit actually is 10% less (total of $336.60 for the 4 sensors, or $84 each) if you use the 10% discount given to ClubLexus members. Just put in the code CL911M at checkout. I've used it a couple of times and it works great!
Old 04-23-07, 09:34 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

>It's much more sensitive than the older model sensors because of the backing plate design of the sensor<

Tim, I wonder if the writer of that statement had 2002 model year sensors in mind when he referred to "... older model sensors ...". Maybe you're okay using that kit.

Quick Reply: Conti Comfort Kit used in replacing Run Flats