SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Prices of used SC430s dropping due to other HT convertibles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 06:08 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The changes are very subtle indeed; get real 'Yeah' . That we 'connoisseurs' can spot them is a different story. My wife is very observant in general, but showed her an '06 on a parking lot, and couldn't tell me what was different from my car. And she sees mine every day in the garage.

The headlights look awful to me; like bull-frog eyes, especially from certain angles. The adaptive part might be better to some, but I'm glad mine doesn't have it: hardly ever ride at night, and don't want even more complexity on the car, since I plan to keep it after warranty.

Taillights are a toss-up to me; don't like half-*** jobs (why not make them all LEDs?), so I wouldn't replace them even for free (don't want to dismantle my baby for that). The wheels are horrendous in stock guise; much better if chromed.

The only real improvement was the 6-sp tranny, but people can't see that .
Old 10-25-06, 06:31 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
The changes are very subtle indeed; get real 'Yeah' . That we 'connoisseurs' can spot them is a different story. My wife is very observant in general, but showed her an '06 on a parking lot, and couldn't tell me what was different from my car. And she sees mine every day in the garage.

The headlights look awful to me; like bull-frog eyes, especially from certain angles. The adaptive part might be better to some, but I'm glad mine doesn't have it: hardly ever ride at night, and don't want even more complexity on the car, since I plan to keep it after warranty.

Taillights are a toss-up to me; don't like half-*** jobs (why not make them all LEDs?), so I wouldn't replace them even for free (don't want to dismantle my baby for that). The wheels are horrendous in stock guise; much better if chromed.

The only real improvement was the 6-sp tranny, but people can't see that .
LOL, sure if that's what you say. Well, I guess your wife just can't see the obvious but hey what do I know right? I'm sure if you put yours right next to an 06'+ then she would be able to tell the difference (headlights & front bumper w/the horizontal chrome strip). Different strokes for different folks about the headlights I guess since I think pre-06' lights are just plain blah.

That's cool to hear you don't drive at night but for those of us that actually drive at night, the adaptive front lighting helps out. LOL about the "complexity" comment. That's like saying you don't want a powered/motorized hardtop b/c there's more "complexity" involved. Would you want to get out of the car & manually open/close the top everytime?

I would much rather have the 06'+ tail lights since I like the look of the red/white combo vs. the red/orange/white combo. And yes, I would take them for free. I'll pass on the chrome wheels even if it was free. If my QX56 had an option for non-chrome then I would've chose that.

As for the 6-speed tranny, I never said you could see that. I said if you drove a pre-06' vs. an 06'+ then you would tell there's a lag issue w/the pre-06' sc430's.

Then again, what do I know right? Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one.
Old 10-25-06, 09:15 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Yeah that it is not hard to tell which SC is a pre 06. To me the headlights and tail lights are a give away, once you are told. I also think that the new lights make the SC looks sharper, definitely an improvement
Old 10-25-06, 09:17 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by margaux01
I agree with Yeah that it is not hard to tell which SC is a pre 06. To me the headlights and tail lights are a give away, once you are told. I also think that the new lights make the SC looks sharper, definitely an improvement
I'd hope so, since you bought a 2006
Old 10-26-06, 08:32 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!
I'm sure if you put yours right next to an 06'+ then she would be able to tell the difference
Duh!
This is a dead-end discussion, especially with this guy; just like discussing who has the better looking wife. I'm out of here. Later gang.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-26-06 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-06, 08:50 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by margaux01
I agree the 06'+ headlights make the sc430 look sharper.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Duh!
This is a dead-end discussion, especially with this guy; just like discussing who has the better looking wife.
LOL!

OT: I went w/a friend to a Lexus dealership today so his sister can test-drive an IS. Everytime I sit in an IS, I'm constantly amazed at the quality & attention to detail as well as both the interior/exterior design. I'd be all over the v8-powered IS if Lexus announces there's a manual or clutch-based paddle shift tranny.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=100701329
Old 10-27-06, 06:14 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Guys, guys, we are all part of the same family here. 02 -07 have changes throughout the years some more subtle than others and some more likeable than others for example the tail lights as opposed to the head lights on the 06.

Lets not argue over which looks better.

If this keeps up they'll have to divide the forum like the sc400 and sc430 forums
Old 10-29-06, 12:14 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by camillian
Guys, guys, we are all part of the same family here. 02 -07 have changes throughout the years some more subtle than others and some more likeable than others for example the tail lights as opposed to the head lights on the 06.

Lets not argue over which looks better.

If this keeps up they'll have to divide the forum like the sc400 and sc430 forums
LOL, to me internet chat is just that...internet chatting. I don't take anything seriously from these forums.

BTW, post some pics of your phat sc430 (in that other thread) now that you have the front lip!
Old 10-29-06, 08:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!
LOL, to me internet chat is just that...internet chatting. I don't take anything seriously from these forums.

Got to agree, just got the new brochere on the 2007 SL550,SL600,SL55 AMG and SL65 AMG. Interesting to see some of the same upgrades made to the SL's that Lexus made to the SC430 in 2006/2007. I think the SL is really good looking and super sharp but not starting at $35K more. Not on my budget
Old 10-29-06, 10:59 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
Got to agree, just got the new brochere on the 2007 SL550,SL600,SL55 AMG and SL65 AMG. Interesting to see some of the same upgrades made to the SL's that Lexus made to the SC430 in 2006/2007. I think the SL is really good looking and super sharp but not starting at $35K more. Not on my budget
I agree the MB SL's aren't worth $35k+ more. At first when we were looking for a hardtop convertible, the SL was 1st on our list...until we realized how bad the reliability was on those cars.
Old 10-29-06, 12:01 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have comparison pics of the pre 06 and the 06.
I agree the prices aren't gonna go down significantly. Around here, 02's are over 35K even at the small car lots.
I like the stylish looks of the 430 although I'm not a big fan of the design. I still would have bought one if there was enough leg room. It is the only coupe Lexus offers. It hurt to have to buy the G35. I love my G35 but it isn't a Lexus.
Old 11-03-06, 08:54 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think the HT verts do anything to the SC market. They are non-competitors. If BMW made a 3-series v-8 hard top or if Infiniti had the G35 hard top, or MBZ had a CLK hard top, we could discuss these. The closest competitor might be the volvo. Other HT convertibles don't have the pinache as the SC does. Pontiac G6-see me in three years! Is it a sunfire? Cavalier? SLK-performance and handling advantages, but no where near the luxury, smooth ride and styling. Chrysler issues with dependability-see JD powers ranking in the past four years since the merger. Definitely more trendy. Volvo-nice...but does my c70 have the same tranny as a taurus? Ford's intervention has made volvo stock go down. The volvo doesn't have the fit and finish as a Lexus. Period.

As far as the changes from 2002-2007 with the SC, all I can say is that even a "car person" could not notice the subtle changes with the cars. Although we can list about 10-12 differences over the years, for a car with six years of history, you have to admit that it's pretty damn hard to change perfection! Let's embrace the incredible success of our cars and be knowledgeable about the differences. Whether it is 99% the same or 96% the same, the average non-SC person will not notice the differences. The new tail lights look great...but they are not for everyone. I have a red 2002 and the lights do not look nearly as good on mine as they do a white, silver or black car. Some people may not like the head lights. Some people cannot tell that the Honda Accord does a front bumper/light and rear bumper/light update every two years, yet most people think the accord is practically unchanged within that bodystyle. Case and point...perfection is hard to make better. If it ain't broke...why fix it? My personal vote: If you parked a 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 SC's all next to each other and asked an average person to point out the differences, I bet very few could, except if they were looking at them from the back only. Even then, maybe some would still overlook the tail lights. Another example: Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata's. Very few, subtle changes over the years, but high success. Sure, 2000 Honda S2000 owner's think theirs are the best...but 2006 owner's know their cars have more torque, bigger 17" wheels, bigger exhaust, two more headrest speakers and an updated front bumper, HID lights, etc. BUT...the average person looking at both years would not. Case and point. Out.