SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trunk won't stay open

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 09:41 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trunk won't stay open

The shocks (or whatever) that keep the trunk open have gone bad (ouch on my head). Of course it happened a month after my warranty expired. They look easy to replace. Any suggestions on where to get them, cost, and how to install? I don't like going to my Lexus dealer. They make me feel like a criminal for not changing my oil every 5k, changing my own filters, etc, etc. etc.
Old 09-16-06, 08:14 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Trunk and hood lifts are usually Lexus dealer only items. They are expensive, sorry to say.
Old 09-17-06, 07:08 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I believe I recall reading here a few years ago that it is not a standard strut, and that it is a Lexus only part. This makes it an expensive replacement.

All owners whose cars are still under warranty should mark their calenders and check the trunk lid at the 4 year date to see if the trunk lid shows any signs of not staying firmly in the up position. (Really, really firmly.)

I did that after the eariler discussion here, and noticed some weakness; I mentioned it to the dealer and they were replaced without hesitation or comment by the dealer under warranty. My car is about 6 years old now, so I guess I have 2 or 3 more years to go on my second set.
Old 09-17-06, 11:54 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY only $225 for the pair for being a CL member. Installation Is a breeze. Save Hundreds of $$ from the dealer.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=52
Old 09-18-06, 12:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

talk to pearlpower, he change dthem i believe. not too bad, maybe around 150 bucks each side?
Old 09-18-06, 07:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Now that you mention it, my '04's trunk slammed on the back of my head the other day, and never did that before. Still have a year left in the warranty, but I wonder what's the right test. I know it shouldn't come down on a flat surface, but I expect it to also hold itself open at a slight incline, no? Dealer should perform some kind of test as well, or do they just replace the shocks because you tell them to? I doubt it. You know how dealers want everything duplicated; I just want to know their test to know when to take it.
Thanks.
Old 09-19-06, 06:35 AM
tfischer

My dealer took my word that the lifting and holding power of the struts was not as strong as it was at the time of purchase, almost 4 years earlier.

If it's under warranty, the dealer is not out anything by replacing them, as far as I know about how warranty repairs and replacements are done. In such instances, the manufacturer pays the dealer for the part and pays a fixed amount for labor (I think). If the service guy beats the clock, the dealer will make some money on the deal, and I don't think it takes long to replace these struts.

In any event, if the trunk lid slammed down on your head, the dealer should take that report pretty seriously, as nobody likes to have a customer go toes up from a whack in the back of the head (usually).
Old 09-19-06, 08:05 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Many dealers will replace the struts if they are weak and under warranty. It does rank as a safety concern. This usually carries a high priority for the customer, they will take you word if they feel weak to lift or hold the lid, or it has fallen on your head.

This is compounded if the rear lid has a large piece of glass, as with the SUVs.

They do wear and get weak. And they need to be replaced in pairs. When replaced, you will notice the difference.

A little more effort is needed at first to close the lid. This will pass, and the closing will return to normal.
Old 09-19-06, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
My dealer took my word that the lifting and holding power of the struts was not as strong as it was at the time of purchase, almost 4 years earlier.

If it's under warranty, the dealer is not out anything by replacing them, as far as I know about how warranty repairs and replacements are done. In such instances, the manufacturer pays the dealer for the part and pays a fixed amount for labor (I think). If the service guy beats the clock, the dealer will make some money on the deal, and I don't think it takes long to replace these struts.

In any event, if the trunk lid slammed down on your head, the dealer should take that report pretty seriously, as nobody likes to have a customer go toes up from a whack in the back of the head (usually).
dealership actually makes quite a bit of money from warranty work, so to them it's definitely benefit. but of course they have to justify eveyrthing coz' lexus is paying for it, and they can come audit you
Old 09-19-06, 10:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I've never had any problems, mines is low mileage & not used a lot. But warranty is still expiring next month for me at 4 year anniversary, may be I'll try to get them examine them closely . . .
Old 09-22-06, 07:54 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Think I'll order them from Sewell along with some other supplies. Any hints on how to install the new ones? Seems like they are easy to get to when you put the roof half way down. But I may bust something else?
Old 09-22-06, 08:36 AM
tfischer

If you are going to park the roof in the half-way position, the best position is when the rear window is in a vertical position; this seems to put the whole roof in equilibrium, and is also an excellent place to put the roof when you clean the inside of the rear window and when you treat all the gaskets with 303, as I am sure you will want to do at least two times a year.

Have fun.
Old 09-22-06, 08:55 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

The ball ends unscrew from the body; you'll see with the new ones in hand. They are metric wrenched.
Old 09-30-06, 10:07 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

I got the supports for the trunk. Sewell said it was a single bolt that kept them on. Someone on this thread said they were metrically threaded and it is easy to see how to replace them when I get the new supports. Neither makes any sense. I see clips on the ball ends that look like they must come off in order to deinstall and install. But the only way to get to the bottom ball is with the top half open and the support completely compressed. The only way to put them on is with the supports in their expanded position (which makes the bottom ball impossible to get to). Any heip? What am I missing in this simple installation? Thanks.
Old 09-30-06, 10:54 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Got it. The clips have to be removed from each of the ball ends with the roof open/trunk opened position -- the supports will be fully closed in this position. Take the clips off. Then close the trunk using the close roof function and open it normally from the rear. This allows the supports to be in their fully extended position. Simply pull off and put the new supports in their place (after taking the clips off of these units). You can put the clip on the top *****, but the bottoms are hard to get to. So you open the roof again enough to get the trunk up. Putting the lower ball clips on is a snap at that point. Never did see any bolts or metric fittings. Just hard to get to clips. Probabaly a 10 minute job the second time around including washing hands. Wonder what Lexus charges?

Quick Reply: Trunk won't stay open