SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Metal noise when entering my SC430

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 04:49 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal noise when entering my SC430

After months of my dealer trying to determine what was causing this distinct metal on metal sound I wanted to report it to all of you but first let me share how I noticed it:

Randomly upon sitting on the drivers seat I would hear this metal on metal type of sound and if you got out of the car and sat back down it would not do it a second time. The dealer not I could get it to occur when I test drove it with thenm either.

So after 6 months of this they said they believed me and replaced every spring in my front seat but within 24 hours of having it back home it did it again...they were stumped. Then one day I just happened to step into the car first and braced myself with my leg against the floor board and bang there it went BUT it occured without sitting on the seat!

Back to the dealer and the same thing: they could not duplicate the sound even with me there with them. When I got the car back home it started again so this time I took a digital recorder and recorded it! I played it for them and they were surprised because of how distinct it was.

Sorry for the long post: the sound was definitely coming from under the hood or so it seemed so they replaced the front and rear pads and turned the rotors - got it home and Bang there it still was!

In the end here is what it is: my service rep figured it out and here is your test: he had me go on their lot to another SC430: get in and start the car; put it in drive and then back to park; turn off the engine; get out and then re-enter by bracing my leg to the floor board and Bang there it was.

He said it is the "transmission claw or paw" - if I understood him it is the locking mechanism!

Has this happened to anyone else? It is well documented in my file and I have accepted his diagnosis.

All in all I got blessed with a brake job and new springs.

BTW: this never occured until I got to about 35K miles.

Please let me know if you have had this problem and what your dealer determined.
Old 07-21-06, 05:32 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you post your sound bite that you recorded so we know what to listen for? I really don't understand the description of the noise.
Old 07-21-06, 06:23 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

I borowed a friends digital recorder but have since erased the sound and returned the device. If I can get it again I'll post it.

It's hard to describe the sound but at the same time you won't miss it if it occurs. I think the service guys must have thought this sound was in my head until the recording. I asked the head tech if he wanted me to replay it and he said not necessary because it was so obvious.
Old 07-21-06, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, not 100% sure what you decribe, but if it's tranny then i can probably imagine what it is. it's the tranny locking, then i think it's usually "done" when you shut off and exit the car?
Old 07-21-06, 09:34 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had it since day 1, and even reported it here, and a few other guys also claimed to have it. In fact, my small dealer also acknowledged hearing it in other SC430s, but said he didn't have a clue what it was. I don't take my car for that kind of stuff anymore until I know what it is (and even then, might decide not to fix it, like in this case). Did it several times before, and after stained seats and carpet, beating up car in potholes, etc., Lexus dealer has NEVER been able to fix them on their own. Rather wait for TSBs, or until somebody else identifies the source.

It's kind of a 'clank' sound coming from under the car indeed. Service manager of an out-of-town dealer (buying dealer) thought it was a shock or a suspension part, but the fact it only did it once, meant it wasn't anything serious. I noticed after time passed that my car does it mostly on winters (bought it in winter).

Interesting find buddy; sounds like a very legitimate answer, by the way. I always put the car in N, set the parking brake, release the brake, then put it in P, so my tranny never has any 'load' on P. I bet if I let the car rests in P rather than with the parking brake it wouldn't do it anymore; will try it out just for fun, but will continue to use the parking brake rather than P. The noise doesn't bother me at all. It's just like my MDX, which 'clanks' the brake pads when changing directions (reverse to forward, and vicecersa), but it's done only once. Idiosyncrasies; all vehicles have them. Take care.
Old 07-21-06, 04:13 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

It just seemed odd that I never noticied it during the first 30K.

I also developed a "clicking sound" when first applying the brakes - dealer said sometimes this happens and they installed a shim kit on the front and rear with some speical grease and that eliminated that sound.

My service dealer (didn't buy it from them) has been outstanding or maybe I should say my service rep!
Old 07-21-06, 04:42 PM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by golfkwesi
It just seemed odd that I never noticied it during the first 30K.

I also developed a "clicking sound" when first applying the brakes - dealer said sometimes this happens and they installed a shim kit on the front and rear with some speical grease and that eliminated that sound.

My service dealer (didn't buy it from them) has been outstanding or maybe I should say my service rep!

I have that clicking sound when I first apply the brakes also and was told it was the pads adjusting and normal. That didn't sound quite right, but it only does it once so I can sort of live with it. Can you be more specific as to "shim kit" with some grease since I'd like to eliminate the click noise? I'd love to get rid of it.
Old 07-21-06, 06:33 PM
JCtx
Racer

Bubba, if your clicking is only heard once when changing directions, my advice is to just live with it. I don't have it on my SC (yet), but it's very common in Acuras, and people who get it 'fixed' by dealers, get it again days or weeks later. You typically get the noise after about 5/10K miles, when the pads start wearing a bit. My MDX started at 10K. Only have 7.8K on the Lex, so it's probably coming soon.

That clicking sound is a very small gap between brake pads and their housings in the calipers. And all cars have to have that gap for thermal expansion. When you brake backwards after going forward (and viceversa), pads 'click' against the caliper housing. Some cars are more audible than others, but it's not a problem at all. Dealers use all kinds of things to quiet them down, but it's only temporary. I didn't even bother with my MDX, and won't bother with the Lex if it happens either. Take care.
Old 07-24-06, 07:28 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why I came into the sc section, but heres my two cents.

If your only hearing a singular click on entering the vehicle after is was driven and sat for a while you may have a sticking level sensor. I have replace two on diff SC's at my dealer ship. Where as it happens only once and may be hard to dupliacte it can be hard to find. If your are still under warranty bring it in to a dealer and ask them to look at the front left level sensor or to call TAS, they should have a report of this.

-Bill
Old 07-24-06, 09:03 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Originally Posted by wdpower
I don't know why I came into the sc section, but heres my two cents.

If your only hearing a singular click on entering the vehicle after is was driven and sat for a while you may have a sticking level sensor. I have replace two on diff SC's at my dealer ship. Where as it happens only once and may be hard to dupliacte it can be hard to find. If your are still under warranty bring it in to a dealer and ask them to look at the front left level sensor or to call TAS, they should have a report of this.

-Bill
Bill,

From what my dealer is saying, any slight movement by sitting in the vehicle or possibly even pushing the car forward (car is in park) causes this causes this transmission "paw or claw" (not sure which word they used) to lock into place.

Here is a new experience that caused the noise: Saturday morning I decided to clean the back seats (car parked in garage). I moved the drivers seat forward then stepped into the back and as soon as I stepped into the car "bang" the same metal noise (always occurs only once per occurance).

What do you think?
Old 07-24-06, 12:50 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Bill, I still think Golfwesi's answer is the most logical. Both HID-leveling sensors on the left of the car (you're talking about those, right?) have a plastic housing and a metal rod with an 'arm', which moves a rheostat kind of sensor, so I very much doubt they'd make the metal 'clank' we hear.
In addition, my car has done it since day 1, and has only been in the rain twice, what makes both these parts and the shocks the unlikely culprits. They'd had to be bone dry from the factory to get stuck, plus have a lot of crap accumulated.
Finally, since it only happens once when cold, if it could be duplicated by shifting the tranny to D then back ti P, that's the answer right there. I haven't tried to duplicate it on my car, but I believe Golfwesi. The bottom line is it's not a big deal, and that's what I wanted to hear.
But now that you mentioned those sensors, I'll lubricate their arms when am under the car again. Take care.
Old 01-28-11, 09:05 AM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this same issue. Cannot duplicate for the dealer because it is only when the car is cold (which is almost never the case here in Miami FL) and only the first time I get into the car. Weird.
Old 01-28-11, 09:16 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does it and it is the transmission. There is some play in the park gear and any movement forwards or backwards, if the car is placed in park on level ground, will cause it to clank against the park pin. I can replicate it anytime and do not consider it a flaw.

TOXIC
Old 01-28-11, 06:05 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Mine used to do this also and I always blamed it on the brake pad clank. After I got the brake pad clank fixed, the sound hasn't come back. Does your brakes clank on the first time you back up and change direction in the morning?
Old 01-29-11, 04:52 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 04 did this. Get in the car, sit down..sound was coming from under the car.
One time only in the morning..then it would not matter how many times I got in and out. Just fist thing, once in the morning.Like metal on metal sound.

Katy

Quick Reply: Metal noise when entering my SC430