Old 04-23-11, 08:52 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Here are some links:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-question.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...p-turning.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...illing-me.html
There was another one within the last 6 months. I'll try to find that one also. Someone put a piece of rubber up in the clips to provide extra tension.
Old 04-23-11, 09:08 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Found it. The rubber shim solution. (I'd still add some proper grease on the clip path. NOTE: keep the grease off of the pads & disk!!!!)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...noise-fix.html
Old 04-24-11, 12:07 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Thank you sir. I just needed to find a tech that can do this for me. Thank you so much.
Old 07-27-11, 09:09 PM
alsotoudeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the sound should be very pronounced and well desrcibed and the source should be pin pointed where it is coming from using may be a Stethoscopes designed to trace the sound but if this sound like a squeel and or squeak and coming from outside the car it when sitting down and or getting out of the seat then may be it's to do with one of the strut being noisy on left front and or left rear since I have experienced it with a BMW and it would not do it all the time but specially when cold and hope fullly provide a clue!
Old 07-28-11, 07:58 AM
gentouru
Rookie

Interesting read. I have the same problem for my 09. Did anyone fixed this problem at a lexus dealer and used the manufacturer's warrant to cover the cost? I wonder if the tech will even find the problem since it is very hard to recreate.
Old 07-28-11, 08:07 AM
tentoys
Rookie

wife's '08 does it also. did it before and now after i have replaced rotors and pads and struts so i doubt it is coming from any of those places. Car starts, runs, stops and the air blows cold so i'm not going to worry about it.
Old 07-28-11, 09:58 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard the noise is from the parking brakes.

Both my 2002 sc430 and 2005 BMW 330ci have the noise.
Old 09-30-11, 04:38 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

I am bringing back this thread because next week I am taking my 04 to dealer to try to diagnose the metal on metal brief noise that only happens once and only when getting into the driver's side of the car. I have tried everything to make it happen but can't duplicate. Only every morning when first getting into the car (either with foot on floor or getting into seat) and only once. Doesn't happen getting into passenger's side. Sound comes from under the front end of the car. This is only when first getting into the car before even turning the car on.

Anyone have this fixed or any ideas to add??
Old 09-30-11, 04:50 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is the brake noise when cold only.

My brakes squeak badly sometimes during first drive in cold.
Old 09-30-11, 05:30 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

My noise is only when car is parked and I first step into car or sit in drivers seat
Old 09-30-11, 05:41 PM
Cliff1F2
Rookie

Rustito, I have this noise also; I have never thought to see if it occurs only once when first getting into the car in the AM. At first I thought that maybe it was some sort of sensor which was activated by entering the car. I will play around with it, but maybe the explanation of the noise resulting from parking pawl movement in a cold transmission is the answer.
Old 09-30-11, 06:10 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Cliff - Not parking paw - tried pushing forward to engage paw but still after getting into car had the noise. I see you are in MD - where do you take your car for service? I go to Lexus of Rockville.
Old 10-01-11, 08:36 AM
Cliff1F2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rustito
Cliff - Not parking paw - tried pushing forward to engage paw but still after getting into car had the noise. I see you are in MD - where do you take your car for service? I go to Lexus of Rockville.
I go to Len Stoler Lexus, but only because the dealership is about 7 miles from my house. I haven't had a major service done yet, so I really cannot recommend them, but my 25K service is due in about 1500 miles (which could be months away, since I don't put a lot of miles on the car).
Old 10-03-11, 10:33 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rustito
I am bringing back this thread because next week I am taking my 04 to dealer to try to diagnose the metal on metal brief noise that only happens once and only when getting into the driver's side of the car. I have tried everything to make it happen but can't duplicate. Only every morning when first getting into the car (either with foot on floor or getting into seat) and only once. Doesn't happen getting into passenger's side. Sound comes from under the front end of the car. This is only when first getting into the car before even turning the car on.

Anyone have this fixed or any ideas to add??
Sounds typical of the "brake clunk" almost everyone experiences with these cars. The fix is mentioned in the links in the above responses. Good luck with asking your dealer about them. I've been told that they all make the noise. (I had to find the answer and tell the mechanic what to do.)
Old 10-03-11, 11:57 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I know this an old thread that's been resurrected but, one thing I notice that hasn't been mentioned in the diagnosis of this...is the parking brake.

If I park the car and set the parking brake, all is quiet. If I don't set the brake, the next time I get in the car (or rock the car forward/back a bit), I'll get a distinctive metal-to-metal "click" (or "clack", if you prefer). I've always assumed this is coming from the transmission...the little "Park" nub inside the transmission locking into place.

This is a totally different sound than the brake pads "click" when you drive in reverse, step on the brakes, drive forward, and step on the brakes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metal noise when entering my SC430