SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bilstein Sport shocks installed.. Well the fronts..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 11:05 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bilstein Sport shocks installed.. Well the fronts..

Ok, first some history on why I had to rush into doing my front shocks only. After slamming my car into the weeds, I started getting a clunking noise when the car would float (Not hit bumps but when the car would go up and then back down.. Clunk..). Picture it.. I'm at a light. Everyone is checking out my car.. I'm dope. Then the light turns green, my car floats like a caddy thru the intersection.. Clunk, clunk! Great... I hang my head in shame.. Plus the car just felt like poop. It floated, it bottomed, it felt like I was pushing it around corners even when I was holding up traffic around the cloaver leafs..

So.. what are my options? Coil Overs? Over the counter shocks? Well it turns out its super hard getting either.. but you can find twelve different springs..

So after reading from the great guru's here on the SC board that I can use the GS stuff, I went on a fact finding mission.. Turns out according to the specs that the GS is 30 lbs lighter in the front and 100 Lbs ligher in the rear..Hmmm, thats less than one passenger.. It might be worth trying their stuff.

So I picked up a set of Bilstein sport shocks from AutoZone (Ordered them, they came the next day and were cheaper than online, $100 a shock) and I ordered a new set of upper shock mounts (ouch, $98 a piece but after doing a search on both the GS and SC boards, it looks like it might be my mounts) and sweated for two hours today getting them on... But WOW, what a difference.

Now let me explain some stuff here before I go on. I'm not a racer, I don't auto-x and it's not a track toy, my last two cars were in that catagory, so I think I want something nicer. To me proper a ride is one that doesn't see/saw over the expansion joints, it doesn't float over the bridges and it can't bottom out over small bumps or gutters. Handling is second to the ride, if the ladies don't like my car then what is is all for? But I used to be a terror on the track and do love to drive hard every now and then (I'm getting old).

So, what do I think of my new shocks? I can't say enough about how happy I am. You will be amazed at how good the car rides even with the rubber band tires and the low rider stance. It feels more expensive now as this is what I would think a $100K sport coupe or sedan would ride like. Not too soft, not too hard. Expansion joints? What are those? All I feel is smooth and darn it if it corners pretty hard with out leaning now. Hmmm, I may be driving faster now. The best word I can use to sum it up is "Composed" or "Controlled".. Bilstein for life. Oh and the clunk is gone!

So I would give the Bilstein front shocks for the GS300/400 a big ol 4 out 4 stars on our cars. They are cheap, they work super good even on slammed cars and they were even easier to install than the stocks shocks.

Laters
Ken 02 SC430
99 R6

P.s. Who says you can't have a slammed car and get a great ride too? The rear shocks will be here soon...

Last edited by hipendicul; 06-30-06 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 11:27 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Oh and lastly, the Bilstein Sport shocks are not shorter than the stocks. I once read that the sports were just shorter versions of the HD for lowered cars but this was not true for me.

I'm still in the dark about how much stiffer the sports are than the HDs but I think Eshocks.com said they were 30% stiffer than the HDs and the HDs are supposed to be somewhat stiffer than stocks.

Ken 02SC430
99 R6

P.s. Also I wanted to clear the air about me rubbing. I am now 100% Rub free. The dealer had installed the wrong sized tires. The tires I had were 245/35/20s and they were in inch too tall in diameter, so I installed 235/30/20s (I wanted 245s but they were harder to get) and they are rubber bands. But the car is rub free, even at full lock. Plus the car is now even lower in the front. It droped the car another 1/2" =) I'm hoping to pick up a set of decent 19s soon, I just don't know how much more my bank account can take this kind of abuse..

Last edited by hipendicul; 06-30-06 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-01-06, 02:30 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Would those work on a stock car? My car makes this noise on certain conditions, but hasn't gotten worse, and don't want techs beating the crap out of my car just to say they can't duplicate it. It rides stiffer than a rock too, although a good percentage of that should be attributed to the run-craps, but still, shouldn't be that harsh IMHO.
How easy are to install, and what special tools do you need? If springs have to come out, might as well wait for springs and shocks, or coilovers. I just don't want to do any modification whatsoever, which I think the Teins require. Good day.
Old 07-02-06, 01:23 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Yeah they will work with all stock stuff. I think the only tool that you might need are some spring compressors, which you can rent from Autozone also. The more I drive the car with the Bilsteins, the more I like the ride. Its just simply amazing..

Laters
Ken 02 SC430
99 R6

P.s. The run flats can't be worse than a 235/30/20. Its seriously about as thick as your finger and its a joke. Man do I want a set of 19s...
Old 04-23-08, 10:43 AM
EddierRo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it safe to assume that the rear GS shocks will bolt up to the rear of the SC as well? I would hate to purchase a set of rear shocks only to find out they wont bolt up...
Old 04-24-08, 07:00 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EddierRo
Is it safe to assume that the rear GS shocks will bolt up to the rear of the SC as well? I would hate to purchase a set of rear shocks only to find out they wont bolt up...
GS coilovers line up perfectly. Direct swap.
Old 04-25-08, 09:30 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Ken

What size wheels are you running now?

BT
Old 10-08-08, 10:04 PM
ZensokuD1
Driver School Candidate

Default rear shocks

I just installed front bilstein shocks and they fit perfect. The rears do not fit unfortunately. Well actually they fit but do not line up exactly the same. The strut housing is longer than the sc430 rear housing. Thus leading to bottoming out with less distance than stock.

I am currently running on Universal Air Suspension and have dropped my car till the shocks bottom out and to lose 2-3 in. from the original drop was out of the question for me. We (me and mechanic) lined up an is300 shock and that seemed to be the closest match to the stock sc430 shock. I will try next to see if i can sell these gs300 bilstein shocks and get some is300 rears instead instead. Hopefully they will work out better.

FRONT GS300 JZS161 shocks fit perfect.
REAR GS300 JZS161 shocks fit(will bottom out faster)

NOT RECOMMENDING IS300 rear shock yet!!!
Old 10-08-08, 10:46 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep in mind that fit is only half the battle. The spring rate must also be in line which explains why a GS400/430 setup will fit but is generally not recommended.

BTW- welcome to CL and your first post.
Old 10-09-08, 10:10 AM
ZensokuD1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Pearlpower!
Old 10-09-08, 03:08 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Lee,

weren’t you able to fit your coilover suspension from your GS onto your SC?

I understand your point regarding the spring rates but what about the mounting points ZensokuD1 is referring to?

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Keep in mind that fit is only half the battle. The spring rate must also be in line which explains why a GS400/430 setup will fit but is generally not recommended.

BTW- welcome to CL and your first post.
Old 10-09-08, 04:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The strut installation is the same for both cars as the frame structure is the same. Struts for either will fit the other.
Old 10-13-08, 06:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Can someone get all these straight for me.

I am planning to buy a 06'+ SC430 and would love to run some Bilstein shocks on it when the stock shocks eventually wear out. Bilstein discontiuned the SC430 application, but the GS400/430 application fits. But they only fit the 02'-04' SC430, the 05'+ SC430 got a new revised suspension. So in order to fit the GS Bilstein onto the 06'+ SC, I need to run the 02'-04' springs and top hat with it? Am I right?

And the 05'+ suspension change, was only on the rear? All the fronts from 02'-09' are the same?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-08, 02:49 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

any updates?

does anyone know of any other shock we can use for the rear of our cars?
Old 12-09-08, 02:51 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZensokuD1
I just installed front bilstein shocks and they fit perfect. The rears do not fit unfortunately. Well actually they fit but do not line up exactly the same. The strut housing is longer than the sc430 rear housing. Thus leading to bottoming out with less distance than stock.

I am currently running on Universal Air Suspension and have dropped my car till the shocks bottom out and to lose 2-3 in. from the original drop was out of the question for me. We (me and mechanic) lined up an is300 shock and that seemed to be the closest match to the stock sc430 shock. I will try next to see if i can sell these gs300 bilstein shocks and get some is300 rears instead instead. Hopefully they will work out better.

FRONT GS300 JZS161 shocks fit perfect.
REAR GS300 JZS161 shocks fit(will bottom out faster)

NOT RECOMMENDING IS300 rear shock yet!!!

how much longer was the GS rear shock compared to our SC's

Quick Reply: Bilstein Sport shocks installed.. Well the fronts..