SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 09:35 PM
klpps
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamGarcia
Does ANYONE know what the security light triple blink is? I've tried this like 30 times and have waited up to 10 minutes for programming and nothing. I have noticed that sometimes I get the standard one security light blinking and other times I get a double blink with a short pause followed by a single blink then a long pause then a double blink again. Does anyone know what this actually means, I'd rather someone's true knowledge than assumptions.
I've tried programming a ton of times and have the exact same question. I'm getting the double blink with a short pause followed by a single blink. Did you (or anyone else here) figure that out or know what is going on? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-17, 05:33 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

for ShawnOK - I got this flip key and I like it although it IS bulkier than a regular key. The one I bought works and the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons work but the trunk button doesn't - oh, well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-STYLE-FLI...0AAOSw6kxXHq9i
Old 02-16-17, 05:49 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nomods4me
for ShawnOK - I got this flip key and I like it although it IS bulkier than a regular key. The one I bought works and the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons work but the trunk button doesn't - oh, well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-STYLE-FLI...0AAOSw6kxXHq9i
That'a s nice key, for sure. But you had to reprogram the buttons, correct? On the one I bought, you just swap the electronic guts from the OEM key. It's an exact fit once you get the key cut, and all the buttons work (b'c it's the original electronics).
Old 02-16-17, 10:26 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I think you & I have the same one Shawn, I only had to switch the guts out in mine also & have the key cut
Old 02-17-17, 02:49 PM
nomods4me
Driver

yes i had to do the programming on both the key ignition and the door lock buttons, but it was pretty easy and I actually needed another key so I couldn't swap out the guts on the key
Old 02-21-17, 02:22 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnMD
After lots of tries (and failures) using the directions on the Forum, I contacted East Coast Locksmiths. Tami provided me with directions that were similar to those posted on the Forum, but a bit different than the ones I used. She said that, for some reason, people had problems successfully programming keys for this car. Might be timing?? Mine is a 2002 that was built in August of 2002 -- one of the last ones for that year. So, at least for this car, the dealer didn't block out key programming.

The directions follow.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.

Also, here were her directions for programming the remote on the master key. Let me know if they work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Thank youi Tami!!!! Saved me $80 and a big hassle. I got the key from Sewell for way less than the local Lexus dealer.

John
My car only came with a valet key (it was a repo, no history avail, no manual).... will I be able to cut a master key using the valet key, then program using this process?
Old 02-21-17, 04:22 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

A bunch of us have had keys ordered and cut from 1010Keys on ebay. It is a heck of a deal for about $35 a key. The most amazing part is you just send them a picture of your key and they cut a duplicate for you. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-CUT-DIY-PROGRAM-3-BUTTON-FOB-REMOTE-KEY-with-PWR-TRUNK-Listed-models-02-2-/152437924186?fits=Model%3ASC430&hash=item237e02215a:g:BxcAAOSwYHxWHG20

However,
with only a valet key, you cannot program your new keys yourself. Even with the Toyota/Lexus software (techstream) you need a code from Toyota to program a new master.

I ended up going to a local locksmith and they used a key programmer to program my master keys. It cost me about $80 and took about 45 minutes. 30 minutes of those was a pre-programmed delay by Toyota. The delay keeps people from quickly stealing cars off the street using the programmer.

In case you are wondering, the difference between a valet key and a normal key is the physical size of the key & the programming. A valet key is fatter and cannot fit into the glove compartment slot. It is also just flagged in the theft deterrent system as a valet key.
That is good news, because it means you can use the grooves in the key to cut a master key.
The following users liked this post:
SC44 (08-09-21)
Old 02-21-17, 05:24 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by DashingDar
A bunch of us have had keys ordered and cut from 1010Keys on ebay. It is a heck of a deal for about $35 a key. The most amazing part is you just send them a picture of your key and they cut a duplicate for you. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-CUT-DIY-PROGRAM-3-BUTTON-FOB-REMOTE-KEY-with-PWR-TRUNK-Listed-models-02-2-/152437924186?fits=Model%3ASC430&hash=item237e02215a:g:BxcAAOSwYHxWHG20

However,
with only a valet key, you cannot program your new keys yourself. Even with the Toyota/Lexus software (techstream) you need a code from Toyota to program a new master.

I ended up going to a local locksmith and they used a key programmer to program my master keys. It cost me about $80 and took about 45 minutes. 30 minutes of those was a pre-programmed delay by Toyota. The delay keeps people from quickly stealing cars off the street using the programmer.

In case you are wondering, the difference between a valet key and a normal key is the physical size of the key & the programming. A valet key is fatter and cannot fit into the glove compartment slot. It is also just flagged in the theft deterrent system as a valet key.
That is good news, because it means you can use the grooves in the key to cut a master key.
i may be mistaken but I think I read that 1010keys will program new master keys with no code or existing master key, for extra charge.
Old 02-22-17, 06:05 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

In order to program a 2005 sc430 key you need a good working master key a new un programed master key and the instructions on the sequencing of how to program the key. It is a series of open door turn key on so many times openm and close door etc . That will work. You also can do it with the tech stream. No one can program a key unless they have the car and are able to follow the instructions.
Old 02-22-17, 08:07 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrblister
In order to program a 2005 sc430 key you need a good working master key a new un programed master key and the instructions on the sequencing of how to program the key. It is a series of open door turn key on so many times openm and close door etc . That will work. You also can do it with the tech stream. No one can program a key unless they have the car and are able to follow the instructions.
that may be true for us but there is equipment you can purchase on eBay to program keys along with changing the odometer.
1010keys most likely has the equipment to program keys.

let me say, I do not approve of this and personally think I have been scammed by odometer fraud... but it is easy to do and anyone can do it...
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/odometer-correction

and the key programmers
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...s&_sacat=34998

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-22-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 03:26 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Originally Posted by mrblister
In order to program a 2005 sc430 key you need a good working master key a new un programed master key and the instructions on the sequencing of how to program the key. It is a series of open door turn key on so many times open and close door etc . That will work. You also can do it with the tech stream. No one can program a key unless they have the car and are able to follow the instructions.
I'm pretty sure that to program a key to the car you have to have the car to do the programming on. The only way around this would be if someone had a key reader and a programmable key (called cloning) which every time I go to a place that says they can do this, it doesn't work. When programming a key to your car it should not matter if the key had been programed to another car because the key does not change, you just teach the car to recognize the key.
Old 03-02-17, 12:14 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

A really expensive way to do it is to go to ACE HARDWARE. They can clone the chip in your new key. However, they can't cut our style of keys.

You can dig the chip out of the key they sell you and tape it to your new key.

I looked into this but it was $78

Made way more sense to pay a locksmith $85 to program my key to my car
Old 03-29-17, 07:37 PM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It works!

These instructions worked perfectly for me once I followed the directions about doing the steps quickly. I did suck it up and buy the key at the dealership ($230), they wanted $45 to program the key, but I was glad I was able to do it m yelf. now if I could only get the garage door opened programmed..
Old 03-29-17, 08:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bearsfan
These instructions worked perfectly for me once I followed the directions about doing the steps quickly. I did suck it up and buy the key at the dealership ($230), they wanted $45 to program the key, but I was glad I was able to do it m yelf. now if I could only get the garage door opened programmed..
old homelink systems are not compatible with most of the new garage door operators...google it.

all homelink systems function the same.
The following users liked this post:
Bearsfan (03-30-17)
Old 03-30-17, 04:30 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

There was a post about this recently (in the last 6 months to a year) regarding the need for another piece of equipment that goes in the middle to allow the Homelink to work with newer systems.

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming