SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?

Old 05-30-18, 07:54 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 851 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by affirmed
Sorry...wrong thread New to this...BUT the black plastic piece thats under the Bezel that surrounds the shifter has broken due to Florida Sun...& I can not find part # anywhere....It's interfering w shifting...I think 02 - 04 will work Any HELP? I LOVE this car Thanks
'
yep, wrong thread...ebay is where you might find what I think you are referring too...
https://www.ebay.com/b/Car-Truck-Gea...36/bn_21568336
Old 07-27-18, 10:48 AM
abtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarletti
I just had the Tyre Fitter remove the TPMS sensors from the tyres (which are, in effect, Valve Stems with a sensor and sealed battery moulded in) when putting fresh rubber on the alloys.

Surely a lot easier?

Note: May be illegal to remove, check your local law on this!
Did this work just like that? I have a GS430 2005, got the TPMS light blinking + red triangle + service message. I understand that the module will keep looking for the sensors if removed and assume they have dead battery if not found, resulting in the dash not having the annoying lights/messages erased?
Old 07-27-18, 11:03 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Hans ****
I'd like to share my frastrating TPM experience with you and want to find a simple way to have TPM disabled.

when I had my OEM rims replaced by aftermarket ones, a damaged TPM sensor was found and I have to replace it. When a sensor was missing, the car beeps 5 times for every 2 and a half minutes and tire pressure warnning light keeps flashing.

I called up a lexus dealer to check on the price. It costs about $200 before tax for one sensor. I did not like dealer's price and luckly enought I found the parts from Internet and it costs about $100. After sensor was installed back to my car, the beeping and flashing wont go away. I went back to dealer and thought that must be a simple setup thing, but it turned out that they have to unmount all four tires in order to have the code for each sensor so that they could reprogram the controller. They need 4 hour to do that. The labor cost is $85-$150 per hour so it's running at $340-$600 to get controller reprogrammed. I still could not understand why they need to reprogram 4 instead of 1 since I only have one new sensor.

I did ask them few more questions reagrding to the sensor itself and here are what I learned

The sensor is not a passive part, it have a battery built-in. The battery can only last 4 years! Flat battery can not be changed since it's built-in, meaning that when battery is run out, the sensor has to be replaced! I could not believe lexus would use such a fatal product on SC430.

I wanted to have TPM system disabled but they told me there could be a way to do it but they wont do it for me because by "law" I have to have it. I don't care about the "law" and once I know how to disable it I'll go for it.

BTW, there are four different color coded sensors. when order sensor from Internet thay need to know the color.
There are universal sensors out there too. for 200.00 it is enough to get a set of 4. Sensor often get damaged during rim swap. There is sensor repair kit too.
Usually senors itself is not damaged the stem becomes an issue when mishandled. In a way indirect TPMS is better. It just gives warning when pressure gets low
monitoring tire rotation via ABS sensor. Many German cars have indirect system.
Old 07-29-18, 05:36 AM
abtx
Driver School Candidate

I just checked if disconnecting the box on top of the radio unit, which is the TPMS unit in a 2005 GS430 (and probably all GS 3rd gen.), and unfortunately that didn't work. The blinking light remained solid, the red triangle stayed on and service message as well. I guess the only option left is replacing the sensor then
Old 07-29-18, 05:42 AM
abtx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by idlerich
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the link for disabling the TPMS...

I have a 2005 Lexus GS430 and have now started receiving the "Check system" errors on the dashboard (despite the sensors only being 12 months old at a cost of £160, and also
£130 for Lexus dealership to calibrate them for me... I really don;t want to fork out £280 every year to pass my MOT... so could anyone plse confirm that the procedure for
disabling the TPMS on an GS430 will be exactly the same as for an SC430? Cheers. Steve
Did you manage to fix the issue? I've got the same car, tried disconnecting the TPMS control unit and that didn't help
Old 09-26-18, 08:02 AM
gbdad
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well you don't need to take out the radio.... it's BELOW the radio
rominl...thanks for telling me how to unplug the TPMS on my 430. Your description and notes were AWESOME! I became disabled a few years ago from a Traumatic Brain Injury so your description helped me out immensely!
Old 09-26-18, 08:10 AM
gbdad
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sundog49, Great photos of romnil's description...used it yesterday on my 430 and it was a breeze, thank you so very much!
Old 10-01-18, 09:55 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Programming 2002-2006 TPMS Sensors using TechStream
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...02-2006-a.html
Old 10-09-18, 06:09 PM
gino111
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I have a 02 Lexus SC 430 and the TPM light is on. I went in and had my tires checked for proper air pressure and they attempted to shut off the light with no success. I have located the switch in my glove compartment but still won't turn off. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-10-18, 09:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Here's a link to instructions to build an adapter that will prevent the VSC error that occurs when using a Techstream on the 2005 and older SC430s without the CAN bus. See post # 62.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10355713
Old 12-18-18, 02:00 PM
Twyz333
5th Gear

Romini, you are a ridiculous, amazing genius! With your pics and detailed instructions, it literally took me 7 minutes to do this, and that was only because the panel on my 2004 SC430 was stuck down -- likely with coffee drops turned to cement in the crevices.

In any case and not to degrade my own tremendous intellectual prowess, I'm a female who knows nothing about cars. Thank you so much!!!

You "should" send invoices for all this help.

Merry Christmas to all,

Terri

Last edited by Twyz333; 12-18-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 02:23 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
I love my TPS system just saved myself a rim and tire. Had a flat on rear passenger side. Its so hard to notice back there since ur wheel doesnt turn and you dont usually see it since its on the passenger side. Dont give up your TPS guys!

Now should I plug it myself or have someone patch it
Ditto. Our cars in the family have two sets of tires, rims. Just switch tires when season changes by DIY.
This is matter of assisting safety. Some folks are so stingy when spending $$.
Old 01-16-19, 12:40 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts
Default Disable TPMS using Techstream

This discussion is below but I think this place is appropriated for it.
You can use Techstream to disable the TPMS and the warning light. I fumbled to this method by sheer luck.

One day, out of the blue, my TPMS light came on. Checked tire pressure, in cool temperature I found the passenger front little under. Inflated to 33psi, the light went off. Two days later, the stupid light came on again. Checked all tires pressure, everything was in spec. Figured out the sensor(s) might be bad, I used Techstream to find out which one. You know what? I could not, my software version did not have that option (?). So I played around with Techstream, and honestly I did not remember what I did, but the light went off and stayed off.

So tonight, I found out what I did. Here it goes:

In System Selection Menu, I clicked on Tire Pressure Monitor, and clicked on Utility. Next screen, I had two choices, ID Registration and Signal Check. I clicked on Signal Check. On Signal Check screen, I selected All Signal Check and clicked next. I noticed the tire warning signal was flashing. Next Screen Techstream told me to perform all signal check per manual and click Next. At this step, I was fumbled, asking my self, check what? How? I didn't know what to do so I just clicked on Next. After a few second, a screen came on telling me the system was failed. But you know what? After I clicked OK, the warning light turned off and stayed off.

Today, it's still off as I did an experiment this afternoon: deflating the tire to 20PSI, idling the car for 5 minutes and no warning signal on dashboard.

So, friends, now you have it. You can disable the TPMS by Techstream. BTW, my Techstream sofware 10.30.22, cable firmware 2.0.4 runs on Window 10.
The following users liked this post:
HerbTarlek (12-18-19)
Old 01-16-19, 05:40 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I used TechStream on my 2007 and took pics of all the screens, but could not disable the TPMS Sensors.

Click on Data list to access sensor info.

Click on Utility to the ID Registration and signal check options...ID reg is the TPMS sensor registration...signal check makes the low tire light illuminate on the dash, it also failed for me. But it did not disable any sensors.

Old 01-16-19, 05:47 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I clicked on signal check

I don’t have a 2007-2010 shop manual.

Selected all, dash light came on.

It failed...

Now I started the ID registration, but didn’t finish it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?