SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 09:28 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The SC430 TPMS disable does not apply to the RX at least for the procedure and location of connection.
Old 03-28-16, 11:22 AM
Sandu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,
I wonder if it's possible to fit & sync a tire pressure sensor from another car manufacturer?

for example I am able to buy Range Rover tire pressure sensor for much lower price than genuine Lexus.

If I get the same frequency as the OEM, would I be able to sync them?

The car is 2007 LS460L
Old 04-28-16, 04:58 PM
Scothurman
Driver School Candidate

Default Disengage turn off TPMS TPM on SC430

Stupid easy for anyone, yes you can do it. The "Box" is located below the radio, i cheated and found/watched a youtube video on how to remove the radio, shows how to remove trim to get to radio as well the box we would like to take out, cover with gasoline and set fire to. Here is link to video

When you watch the video watch for the blue ish box below the radio, fat plug on left and skineyer on right, you will squeeze tabs above and pull out on both. DONE light on dash goes out on my SC I bought and looked at for over the past 7 months. I watched it a couple of times then...

1. Raise/open entire center console, take your "stuff" out of the top if you don't like it all sliding to the rear.
2. With both hinged all the way open toward rear of car, pry the heated seat controls with trim around it from console side straight up toward the sky. Has 4 clips, this unit does not hinge but can tilt so you can get under it and pry up, do all this with a plastic pry tool (bare screw driver can poke or scrape your trim) go ahead if thats all you have but wrap electrical or some type of tape around it to avoid damage. Once it lifts up and out unplug and set aside.
3. Next set parking brake, turn on key move stick shift to neutral.
4. Use pry tool again to pry up back of console trim around stick shift and the cup holder unit by prying up and hinging on where this goes under radio, lift rear up then pull out toward back seat.
5. You then can unplug ash trey light, I just lifted trim/cupholder up over stick shift.
6. Look for exposed end of TPMS box with fat plug on left and thinner one on right, push in tab on top of each and pull out enough to unplug both plugs.
7. Reverse assembly and your done.
Old 04-30-16, 05:13 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had the Tyre Fitter remove the TPMS sensors from the tyres (which are, in effect, Valve Stems with a sensor and sealed battery moulded in) when putting fresh rubber on the alloys.

Surely a lot easier?

Note: May be illegal to remove, check your local law on this!

Last edited by Scarletti; 04-30-16 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-30-16, 06:25 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarletti
I just had the Tyre Fitter remove the TPMS sensors from the tyres (which are, in effect, Valve Stems with a sensor and sealed battery moulded in) when putting fresh rubber on the alloys.

Surely a lot easier?
Against federal law here in the USA for a shop to remove them. It's treated just like catalytic converters.
Old 04-30-16, 06:32 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Against federal law here in the USA for a shop to remove them. It's treated just like catalytic converters.

okay, wondered why ppl were solving an easy problem the hard way.

However what does the law say? If it's to dabble with the TPMS away from what the manufacturer intended then surely leaving the sensors in place but disabling them within the car is an equal breach of the law?
Old 04-30-16, 06:53 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarletti

okay, wondered why ppl were solving an easy problem the hard way.t

However what does the law say? If it's to dabble with the TPMS away from what the manufacturer intended then surely leaving the sensors in place but disabling them within the car is an equal breach of the law?
In states that have safety inspections. They can't tell that you unplugged it in the console. A shop don't want to do it for fear of repercussions. If found out could lose their license. If an accident happened could get sued. This could even be true for an individual. Say you purposely disconected the tpms. You sell the car, and an accident happens that might have been avoided by a functioning tpms system. If they can prove you disconected it they could file suit against you. Ie read on the forum and you bought it from them on here. Just saying things like this happen. A crazy world we live in.
The following users liked this post:
Touaregman (11-18-22)
Old 04-30-16, 09:26 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

In states that have safety inspections. They can't tell that you unplugged it in the console. A shop don't want to do it for fear of repercussions. If found out could lose their license. If an accident happened could get sued. This could even be true for an individual. Say you purposely disconected the tpms. You sell the car, and an accident happens that might have been avoided by a functioning tpms system. If they can prove you disconected it they could file suit against you. Ie read on the forum and you bought it from them on here. Just saying things like this happen. A crazy world we live in.
Both of the above statements aren't necessarily true. I believe it depends on the state law of each individual, in addition to the "reputation," of the shop. I live in Oklahoma, which does not require state inspection, so many INDEPENDENT muffler shops can and will do catalytic converter and even muffler deletes. How do I know this, b'c I've had it done a 3rd cat delete to my SC430. Additionally, if you choose to remove the TPMS on a car that had a TPMS, they would never be able to determine it during a state inspection. Many shops will/can remove the valve stem sensors for which they could charge to unmount and remount the the 4 tires. But honestly, the easier way is to remove the wire harness from the TPMS under the ash tray. All four in one procedure and you can do it yourself, which removes the light all together. Removing the stem sesors will still leave the light on your dash. Additionally, the police aren't going to ticket you for a light on your dash in any case. As for the accident aspect, if your tires are in poor quality you can be given a violation but not for the TPMS sensors not working properly. Furthermore, in terms of suing a previous owner that would be dependent on state lemon laws, buyer protection, disclosure, and statute of limitations. This is what has been explained to me over all the years of my problems with tires and TPMS research/repair... and believe me I've had a lot. But as I mentioned above, it is also variable on the shop's regulation. Most chains must adhere to the restrictions on these aspects and thus will not alter their rules to keep the minimum state inspections clearance, even if their state has no state inspection.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 04-30-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 11:31 AM
Sundog49
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TPMS disconnect

QUOTE=talwang;1611168]Thanks, you guys.
It only took me 5 minutes.
If you have small hands like I do, you don't even need to screw off the shifter.

Edit: The 3rd photo is from a JDM soarer, but you get the idea.

[/QUOTE]
Just finished disconnecting the TPMS using these pictures and instructions. Worked like a charm. A big thanks to all who have contributed to this method.
Old 04-12-17, 10:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Yup, easy peazy. Just make sure you inspect your tires often. So you do not end up in a flat situation.
Old 04-30-17, 07:29 AM
MarkJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Rominl, easy fix for my flashing TPMS after rotating tires on my 2005 SC430. I knew the batteries were going bad on one of my TPMS sensors.
The Rominl method took less than 5 minutes.
Old 04-30-17, 08:37 AM
Sundog49
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget to check your tires regularly, because now you have no warning system. I check mine visually daily and put the gauge to them once a week.
The following users liked this post:
Touaregman (11-18-22)
Old 05-08-17, 08:27 PM
Gavn
Driver School Candidate

Hello there. Im brand new to this site. Been scrolling through for ages. Just traded on a 3rd Gen 2006 GS 4.3.
I see this thread originated for the SC430 (I think).
My query is......Can this method be applied to my new aquisition to erase the same issue with the TPM system? (In my ignorence Im assuming its the same)
Also, can the 'full on' Japanese display be converted to an English display?

Very much apreciated in advance.
ps, sorry if Im in the wrong area.

Gavn.
Old 06-03-17, 09:45 AM
ReeRee7482
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by rominl
no pics here, but instructions.

- put shifter on N, screw off shifter
- open up center console
- pull the whole heated seat module straight up, it will come up. disconnect
- you will be able to pull up the "back" part of the shift plate area (close to center console)
- once it's up, the only point holding it are two clips right below the radio
- pull the shift plate towards the back of the car and a bit angle up. jiggle a bit and it will come off
- once it's out, you will see the TPS unit right below the radio
- unplug BOTH plugs, one small on the right and one bigger one on the left
- put everything back and enjoy

courtesy of todd of tm engineering, where i learned this information from
Thanks for this information, I may have to do this. Lexus dealership can't get the light to stay off with new sensors, I guess this is next.
Old 06-03-17, 04:28 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Well, first make sure that your tires really are at full pressure. Some of the TPS valves leak when not properly installed or serviced.

Quick Reply: How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?