SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Does the SC430 have Bluetooth Capability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 07:57 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the SC430 have Bluetooth Capability?

Good Morning All...

I'm the owner of a 2004 LX470 and really appreciate the bluetooth feature (I think every car should have this feature)! I'm considering purchasing a used SC430 for a summer toy. Does the SC have this option, and if so, will I only find it on the 2004 models, or did it exist before then? Any and all feedback is appreciated.

John from Boston
Old 03-09-05, 08:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok i am not 100%, but i believe bluetooth start on the sc430 since 2005. i think it comes with the 4th generation nav (started out with 04 ls430), which becomes available on a lot of lexus models since 05.

my 05 sc430 has voice recognition nav and i believe i have bluetooth
Old 03-09-05, 09:51 AM
markch
Rookie

Yes the 2005 SC has Bluetooth, but depending on the BT enabled phone and provider it may have some limitations. For example, Verizon's V-710 phone has certain BT features disables (by Verizon) so you can't upload your phonebook to the car.

I ran across a good reference chart of BT phones and car compatibility but I don’t remember if it was in this forum or somewhere else...I'll have to look for it.
Old 03-09-05, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by markch
Yes the 2005 SC has Bluetooth, but depending on the BT enabled phone and provider it may have some limitations. For example, Verizon's V-710 phone has certain BT features disables (by Verizon) so you can't upload your phonebook to the car.

I ran across a good reference chart of BT phones and car compatibility but I don’t remember if it was in this forum or somewhere else...I'll have to look for it.
if you can do that it would be great. i should be changing phone soon and i would love to get a BT phone that will work in my car
Old 03-09-05, 01:41 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Enigma, you'd have to get an '05 buddy; doubt you'd find a cheap one, however. I have an '04 fully optioned, and no blue-tooth or voice nav.
Later.
Old 03-09-05, 04:04 PM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Smile Bluetooth

Believe it or not I finally got my Treo 650 (GSM-AT&T Wireless) to work with the Bluetooth built into the Navigation System of both my 2005 SC430 and 2005 GX470. It even downloaded my contacts into the phonebook. The only thing the screen does not show is signal strength.
Old 03-09-05, 05:05 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. It looks like I'll have to do without Bluetooth, as I refuse to buy brand new ever again. I just can't stomach losing 20% off of my investment the day I drive off the lot. As much as I love my 2004 LX, if I had to do it over again, I'd just by buying it now instead of fresh off the showroom floor. To my friend who mentions the new motorola v710, I already know about those limitations, as I just bought the phone. The "send" feature simply doesn't exist on this model phone, which precludes you from sending the data to your in car phone book. Hopefully Motorola will smarten up and fix this needed feature.

John from Boston
Old 03-09-05, 08:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

cool, taking notes on the models now
Old 03-13-05, 10:58 AM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. It looks like I'll have to do without Bluetooth, as I refuse to buy brand new ever again. I just can't stomach losing 20% off of my investment the day I drive off the lot. As much as I love my 2004 LX, if I had to do it over again, I'd just by buying it now instead of fresh off the showroom floor. To my friend who mentions the new motorola v710, I already know about those limitations, as I just bought the phone. The "send" feature simply doesn't exist on this model phone, which precludes you from sending the data to your in car phone book. Hopefully Motorola will smarten up and fix this needed feature.

John from Boston
John-
If you can wait a little while for the 2006s to come out, you should be able to find a 2005 which will have Bluetooth. This will probably occur by the time it finally stops snowing here, which would then be the ideal time for a "summer toy". But who knows...the 2006 "refresh" of the SC might be too irresitable to consider a 2005.
Old 03-14-05, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sexylexysc430
John-
If you can wait a little while for the 2006s to come out, you should be able to find a 2005 which will have Bluetooth. This will probably occur by the time it finally stops snowing here, which would then be the ideal time for a "summer toy". But who knows...the 2006 "refresh" of the SC might be too irresitable to consider a 2005.
well i suppose the new facelift will also take down the price on the 05 a bit a well, so it's hard to say
Old 07-07-17, 08:11 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry to revive this thread but wondering if anyone has any insight on what piece of hardware actually gives the SC430 Bluetooth capability? At this point, I know that it is not the OEM radio or OEM trunk mounted DVD player. In my 2002, I have upgraded the radio to a 2007 model and DVD player to GEN4 but don't see a Bluetooth connection on my phone. Although the DVD player does show the phone dialer in the software on screen. I'm sure there are additionally wire harnesses and of course a microphone that must be added but I wanted to investigate hardware first. So there must be another piece of hardware somewhere that allows Bluetooth pairing. Anyone have an idea of what/where it might be?

PS. i have just installed the GROM Audio unit which works perfectly as an aux input, ipod music player/control, Bluetooth Handsfree device, and Bluetooth Music Control. I would just be interested in having the on-screen phone dialer active thus I want to know more about what device in the OEM SC430 gives Bluetooth capability.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-07-17 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-08-17, 08:31 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The microphone is installed in the dome/map light enclosure, so I wonder if it is added up there?
Old 07-11-17, 09:52 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Still hoping to get a response on this if anyone can shed some light on the issue. Thanks Harold, but I don't think there's anything other than the microphone up there. I've "disassembled" my enclosure and didn't see any hardware up there. Yes, the microphone is there but the actual unit must be somewhere else. Also, if anyone can chime in.. how does one make/take phone calls once connected via bluetooth in those models that have the stock Bluetooth setup. I see there are no buttons on the steering wheel (as with my wife's Mazda CX5). Therefore, does the name, photo, phone number appear on the nav screen and then you have to either accept or deny it from there? Hope someone can clarify the handsfree operation in making, accepting, rejecting phone calls and/or texts (if the SC430 even registers text messages via bluetooth?). Thanks.
Old 07-11-17, 10:48 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Shawn - our 06 has bluetooth/phone controls on the steering wheel.....well, actually to the rear of the steering wheel. Calls can be answered and hung up from those levers. I believe if you have your phone book loaded, you can also perform "last call" and some other functions that I haven't yet read up on. However, I doubt the bluetooth control is located on the steering wheel controls. It could be a module that plugs into both the Nav screen and the radio (since the sound comes through the front left speaker). I will copy and paste the appropriate pages from the Navigation Manual if it will help you.

Cheers,
Rich
Old 07-12-17, 11:11 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RichardMor
Shawn - our 06 has bluetooth/phone controls on the steering wheel.....well, actually to the rear of the steering wheel. Calls can be answered and hung up from those levers. I believe if you have your phone book loaded, you can also perform "last call" and some other functions that I haven't yet read up on. However, I doubt the bluetooth control is located on the steering wheel controls. It could be a module that plugs into both the Nav screen and the radio (since the sound comes through the front left speaker). I will copy and paste the appropriate pages from the Navigation Manual if it will help you.

Cheers,
Rich
Yes, please any photos of the buttons or tech pages would be great. Thank s

Quick Reply: Does the SC430 have Bluetooth Capability?