xTended warranty and top mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 11:40 AM
dingo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question xTended warranty and top mechanism

I've got a really interesting "situation":

I was about ready to buy the Lexus Platinum "Vehicle Service Agreement" which the sales manager had described as "just like a new car warranty" but while reading the pamphlet I noticed that the only mention of the convertible roof was the "Covertible Roof Hook", whatever that is and "Convertible Top Motor". There was no mention of all of the pullys, wires, etc.

This prompted me to ask if the entire convertible top mechanism was included and he said that he was sure it was. I pointed out that the pamphlet didn't actually support his statement and that if I were going to purchase the warranty that it would have to say that everything was covered. His response was that they could not change the contract but he would call the Atlanta Lexus rep and ask. He did while I was in the dealership and the rep's answer was "If its not in the contract then its not covered".

That shocked me as I believe that I've read on this forum that the top IS covered. Could someone that has actually purchased the warranty confirm this? Is it actully written in the contract that you signed that the entire mechanism is convered?

Has anyone actually had a top worked on under the extended warranty and was it covered?

d
Old 12-06-04, 04:30 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

These extended warranties could be different from place to place, unless there is a Lexus extended warranty offered by Lexus itself.

Either way, it's probably a bad deal, but that's not why I called.

You made a very nice move in actually reading the document before you signed it. Most people don't do that. Extended warranties are inclusive contracts, and original manufacturers' warranties are usualy exclusive. That is, the original warranty says this warranty covers everything except tires and battery for 4 years, or something like that. The "Extended Warranty" usually says that this warranty covers the following: engine, drive train, etc.

If it is not listed in the contract itself, it is not covered. If a specific segment of a part is listed (top motor), that implies that other parts of the part are not covered (the more specific controls over the general). And whatever is told to you at the time of signing means nothing, and the salesmen know that. Only the written document will control the coverage. Salesmen will tell you what you want to hear to get you to sign.

No call to Atlanta should have been necessary. Clearly under that warranty language the entire top mechanism is not covered, only the specified two parts.

A true extended warranty that 2would be "just like a new car warranty" could (and should) be one sentence long. (Such as: "For value received, the manufacturer's warranty is extended from 4 years to 7 years." It's as simple as that -- although no one offers this at any price, as far as I know.) The fine print will get you every time.

I doubt that you will find anyone to write such a warranty, and if you did, I doubt that you would want to pay for it. Even with a less well made car, extended warranties are not priced well. Sure you might have a chance to make a claim under it, but the odds are you won't. You might hit #18 on the roulette table, too, but the odds are you won't. And the folks who offer the extended warranties have put more than 2 zeros on the wheel, so the house edge is really very large. If you win at that game it's just luck, it's not because you are good at the game.

Play the odds so they are in your favor. Pass on the "extended" warranty and just pay for whatever repairs become necessary. My two brothers and I have had several Lexus cars since 1990 and, like most folks, no problems yet. The 1990 model is still running strong and has never needed any serious repairs.

Nobody should generalize from insufficient data, so you can disregard my experiences as antidotial evidence, but all the surveys indicate that these cars are as well made as any on the road, and your chances of needing major work, even on the complex roof mechanism, is not very great. (The MB SLK roof is made by the same company that makes the SC roof -- I have a friend who has had an SLK since that model came out -- he works the top almost every day and has never had a problem with it, so maybe it's not as complex as it seems to you and me.)

Once again, nice work on reading the warranty. You have no idea how rare that is.
Old 12-06-04, 04:37 PM
dingo
Driver

Appreciate your reply.

I had forgotten to mention that the only reason I was interested in the warranty (and it was a Lexus warranty) was for the top and all of its various parts.

I'm one of the unluckiest people around ( lightening hit house and burned after being in it for just 4 months and on and on..) so I know that 3 weeks after the factory warranty - the roof will fail at its mid point out in the middle of nowhere and there I'll be. So, If it did cover the roof - it woulda been cheap insurance for me.
Old 12-06-04, 09:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

from what i have read, i remember some people here with 02, they had problems with their roof. but lexus said they have improved the roof starting 03, and people got the 02 roof seviced already

but if you ask me, i think it's more like wear and tear item on the roof, just like your door lock, etc... mayeb that's why they are not covered?
Old 12-07-04, 08:34 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the #1 rip-off in automobiledom. Besides the top, if you keep reading carefully, most electronics are not covered either, like radio, etc. Those are the 2 reasons any prudent SC owner would buy the insurance for. Now you understand why salesmen push them so hard. It's something like 90% profit. Furthermore, like Romini mentioned, most covered items are prorated (everything wears, yes, but they don't tell you this up front), but you'll never see thier 'life expectancy' figures; I asked and never heard from them again. For example, if your alternator craps out at, say, 60K miles, and its life expectancy (according to them) is 60K miles, you're not covered one penny.
I, like most people, NEVER buy such a thing. Never done it before, never will, and so far, never needed it, so I'm well ahead of this game. If I ever have to pay a repair out of warranty, I pretty much expect it, and won't be a shock. Just think of all the money you saved over the years (from cars, motorcycles, computers, appliances, etc), and it'd make you happy. Only people who will defend extended warranty are the 'lucky' ones, as somebody described them. I don't like to gamble, especially with those odds.

Finally, I bet the top mechanism is not that complicated; just intimidating. My ex-BMW folding top was more complex; this is just a 2-piece top. I'm still waiting for the '04 service manual to be available, to study the mechanism. Once you know where the sensors are, and how to adjust them, you can probably fix any problem other than crash damage (that's my only concern, to be honest), if you're mechanically inclined. If you don't have chronic problems with the car, I'd take my chances. You can also wait at the last minute to buy an extended warranty; don't do it now, since it's not doing anything for you.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-07-04, 09:22 AM
dingo
Driver

ELP_JC,

The radio, navigation etc. are covered.

You need to look at all of the pulleys and wires to see if you think you could fix it.

I was waiting till the last moment: getting close to 50k miles.

I didn't get as far as reading the actual contract but if it had a proration clause that too would be a deal killer.
Old 12-07-04, 08:13 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Default Dingo

I am in the same postion as you when it comes to the extended warranty and the roof. My 02 is coming up on its warranty and I am thinking about looking at the extneded but it would have to cover things like the full top mech and the raio, electrical and not pro rated.

Keep us posted if you get anymore info
Old 12-07-04, 08:21 PM
dingo
Driver

I'd be interested in how they describe it a your dealership. I thought that I'd read some old posts where someone bought the warranty under the impression that the top was covered.

As far as I'm concerned its a dead issue. It doesn't cover it - I'm not going to buy it. I'll prolly sell the car and buy something else.

d
Old 12-07-04, 08:44 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the thread the last time we discussed it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=129960

Here's the direct info from Lexus:
http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty.../platinum.html

I don't remember seeing the "Convertible Top Hook" item when I read the list back in August, although it's there now. Anyone else?
Old 12-07-04, 08:58 PM
dingo
Driver

Thanks for the link!

After reading that thread the sentence that caught my eye was: "All manufacturer-original equipment parts installed by the manufacturer or your selling dealer are covered (except for the following)"

I really suspect that a new lawyer committee was hired by Toyota and they changed the wording from explicitly excluding things to explicitly including them.

d
Old 12-07-04, 10:36 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by dingo
Thanks for the link!

After reading that thread the sentence that caught my eye was: "All manufacturer-original equipment parts installed by the manufacturer or your selling dealer are covered (except for the following)"

I really suspect that a new lawyer committee was hired by Toyota and they changed the wording from explicitly excluding things to explicitly including them.
d
Eggs Ackley.

Last edited by Roofless; 12-07-04 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 04:38 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And these are transferable (once for $50). That's a new feature as well.

George
Old 12-08-04, 10:17 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Default Do you think they changed it?

I purchased the Lexus Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement in early 2004 and it states in my contract, "All manufacturer-original equipment parts installed by the manufacturer or your selling dealer are covered..." then it goes on to list a rather short list of exceptions. When I spoke to my dealer, they said that everything related to the roof was covered.

Perhaps they changed the entire VSA program?