SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Non Runflat tire vs flat tire statistics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 08:02 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Runflat tire vs flat tire statistics?

In the near future I too will have to decide whether to stay with runflats? I do not doubt that the ride and handling will greatly improve. I am trying to weigh the odds of having a flat without a spare and what the options are if I do.

Has anyone heard of any stats from Lexus regarding service calls for flats? Has anyone had to deal with a flat that didn't have the donut spare?

My golf clubs fit too good to add the donut! I've been told using the "inflate a tire" can stuff really causes problems do to the weight and balance.

I need help to make this decision. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 11-08-04, 09:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well imho it's about whether you drive long distance. if you do, i think the runflats have their own use. otherwise i think it's ok. most people have aaa, and just ask them to send over a flat bed and it's all good

and just from what i see, even with non runflats, if it's good brands and you maintain the tires well, it should be relatively good
Old 11-09-04, 12:23 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We bought our SC430 in May 2003. It had 33K and the Goodyears non RF were on it then. I don't know how many miles they had on them. We now have 46K on them. So if 25K is avarage on the original runcraps we have about 21,000 miles on these. 25K may be it as for as tread life.
My wife took a trip to Houston, about 290 miles each way, to visit the Grandkids. On her return trip she
had a flat 40 miles out of town. She called the 800 # for Lexus and the sent a flat bed wrecker to pick her and the car up. They took her to the Lexus dealer and gave her a loan car. Next day I get the call, 485.00
for a tire? Well long story short I went by and picked up the wheel with the schreded tire on it went a mile down the road to Discount Tire store and 2 hours& $274.95 later picked it up and took it back to the Lexus Dealer who put the wheel & tire back on. The charged me $10.00 to r&r the wheel. Oh I had removed the spare for more room in the trunk. Duh!
Old 11-09-04, 01:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Joe Peters
We bought our SC430 in May 2003. It had 33K and the Goodyears non RF were on it then. I don't know how many miles they had on them. We now have 46K on them. So if 25K is avarage on the original runcraps we have about 21,000 miles on these. 25K may be it as for as tread life.
My wife took a trip to Houston, about 290 miles each way, to visit the Grandkids. On her return trip she
had a flat 40 miles out of town. She called the 800 # for Lexus and the sent a flat bed wrecker to pick her and the car up. They took her to the Lexus dealer and gave her a loan car. Next day I get the call, 485.00
for a tire? Well long story short I went by and picked up the wheel with the schreded tire on it went a mile down the road to Discount Tire store and 2 hours& $274.95 later picked it up and took it back to the Lexus Dealer who put the wheel & tire back on. The charged me $10.00 to r&r the wheel. Oh I had removed the spare for more room in the trunk. Duh!
umm i guess it's confusing... there is a spare for the sc430? i thought there is no spare at all, that's why the runflat?
Old 11-09-04, 05:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I've had Michelin Pilot Sports A/s for over a year now without a spare & I don't think I'll ever switch back to the runflats. There's always Lexus roadside assistant , & the CAA after warranty expires. I just won't use the SC430 for distant out of town trips, which I seldom do driving nowadays anyway.
Old 11-09-04, 06:02 AM
Traturn
Driver

Coupes do come with a jack & lug wrench

I've never seen a new coupe without runflats, so I cant vouch that they *can* come from the factory with a spare tire.

Lexus has a TSIB that can add a mini-spare (145/70R17) & trim it so that it looks tight.

parts alone to add a spare is about $700 including wheel/tire, Trim & mounting brackets.

TSIB # PG014-01 2001/04/27
Old 11-09-04, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Traturn
Coupes do come with a jack & lug wrench

I've never seen a new coupe without runflats, so I cant vouch that they *can* come from the factory with a spare tire.

Lexus has a TSIB that can add a mini-spare (145/70R17) & trim it so that it looks tight.

parts alone to add a spare is about $700 including wheel/tire, Trim & mounting brackets.

TSIB # PG014-01 2001/04/27
damn, 700 bucks to add a donut, that's a lot

so you basically change the layout of the trunk to stick in the donut?
Old 11-09-04, 09:17 AM
Energy25
Driver School Candidate

I do not use the runcraps and do not use a spare. I agree that it would be a decision based on your driving habits. I drive 20 miles on the freeway to work and 20 miles back each day right past the Lexus dealer. If I get a flat I plan to call the 1800 number.

In the past, I have used the 1800 number for Lexus Emergency Roadside and it has been great - even at 5AM in the morning I got a good quick response.

I took the runcraps off on day one after test driving SCs with and without the runcraps.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-04, 11:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

seems like the runflats are really bad huh? i have only driven sc430 with runflat so far, i guess i just have to drive one without. and man, i thought the ride on the stock sc430 are pretty darn good already. guess my butt is used to the ride on my is3
Old 11-09-04, 08:24 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

We Negotiated for the spare in the price of our
SC430. It was a certified pre-owned car at the
Lexus Dealer. Got them to give us a extra remote
key with in the deal.
Old 11-11-04, 10:39 AM
herragge
Pole Position

Right now I have non-runflats bridgestone rubber. I only drive the car in the summer and do road trips occasionally. I do not have a spare. I trust my tires enough that I won't get a flat (knock on wood) and like everyone else has said, lexus roadside assistance is very efficient. I understand the concern is there, but I don't feel its a big deal. I too thought twice about switching to soft rubber from run flats, but after I did it, I didn't feel the need for a spare at all. Just maintain your tires well like rominl said. This can be simple things like checking the pressures and inspecting them often.

Maybe just start with changing your runflats, that will make a huge difference in ride quality as it is. Then if you still feel you need the spare, get it later. I don't intend to carry a spare with me on the SC. Ever.
Old 11-11-04, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by herragge
Right now I have non-runflats bridgestone rubber. I only drive the car in the summer and do road trips occasionally. I do not have a spare. I trust my tires enough that I won't get a flat (knock on wood) and like everyone else has said, lexus roadside assistance is very efficient. I understand the concern is there, but I don't feel its a big deal. I too thought twice about switching to soft rubber from run flats, but after I did it, I didn't feel the need for a spare at all. Just maintain your tires well like rominl said. This can be simple things like checking the pressures and inspecting them often.

Maybe just start with changing your runflats, that will make a huge difference in ride quality as it is. Then if you still feel you need the spare, get it later. I don't intend to carry a spare with me on the SC. Ever.
yup for example i check tire pressure on my 20s every two weeks, check it more details if i go for a long trip. every time i do oil change i spin the wheels myself to look for rocks or nails. stuff like that
Old 11-12-04, 11:49 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced my runflats with Michelin Pilot Sports when I owned my SC430. I did get a flat one day and used a can of Fix-a-flat that I always carried in the trunk. It sealed the tire from Saturday to Monday until I could get to the tire dealer and have it replaced. Beware... it will damage the tire pressure sensors. In my case, I didn't care because I had OZ Wheels and had the sensors disconnected anyway. For me, Fix-a-flat was the preferable alternative to losing most of my trunk space to the spare kit.
Old 11-12-04, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

question, anyone has pics of the trunk with the donut spare? how much trunk space you going to lose with that?
Old 11-12-04, 01:54 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
question, anyone has pics of the trunk with the donut spare? how much trunk space you going to lose with that?
Here you go...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...spare+tire+kit

Last edited by dseag2; 11-12-04 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Non Runflat tire vs flat tire statistics?