SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Clank in front when stepping into car.

Old 08-23-04, 08:57 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Just a quick update before the thread is 'forgotten'.

Hit a small pot hole on the right side (with the stereo off), and heard the darn clunk TWICE after hitting the bump (within 1/2 sec). It's definitely coming from the right side, and definitely sounded like a suspension piece, or something attached to it (like a caliper). Definitely not body related, which would be more like a creak. There's something loose under there.

Another wierd behavior was I started my car without stepping into it, and heard a mild version of the clank when I was about to close the hood (after charging the battery). In other words, engine vibration triggered the 'mild' clank. Closing the hood or stepping into the car didn't produce it again. I'm more curious than pissed off at this point.

Keep the feedback coming, so the few of us who plan to trace it next time we change the oil have more clues where to look. Thx.
Old 11-08-04, 07:54 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add me to the list

A few months ago I started noticing this metal "squeak" noise when I sit in the drivers seat. Had around 20,000 miles on my '02 at the time I was in for other service. They could not duplicate the noise and neither could I when I was at the dealership. I never notice it except about 25 - 50% of the time I sit in the front seat. Seems to happen more often when the car has been resting over night.

The dealer tech suggested that it might be the seat pan and that they could try changing it. Does this sound like your problem; ELP JC?
Old 11-08-04, 08:02 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

No, my friend. It's clearly coming from the suspension area. However, it only happens when the car sits overnight. It also happens by 'itself' if I let the car warm up a bit; it's weird. The other day I needed to arrange some stuff on my garage, so I started the car without stepping into it, and about 2 to 3 minutes later, I heard the 'clank'. When I stepped into the car, no more clank.
My dealer could duplicate it on another car, but don't know the answer. They said Lexus knew about it. I guess it's time to give them a call for an update. Oh, and I also hear the clank when one front wheel hits something, but doesn't happen all the time. I'm sure it's a suspension component.
Take care.
Old 10-27-07, 10:18 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update on this? I have gone to the dealer numerous times about this and nothing has come of it.
Old 10-28-07, 05:14 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Tensi: After my dealer thought it was several things, I even got a complete new brake job, they discovered that it has to do with a locking mechanism associated with the transmission. Sorry but it has been too long since they explained it; I think it is the "claw" that grabs and locks it into gear when put in park.

They accidentally discovered it when they got into another vehicle that was on their lot. They had me sit in it and sure enough the sound was there.

It is normal for this to happen - no fix! I'm out of warranty now so if you find out differently please let us know!
Old 10-28-07, 08:21 AM
LexHou
Driver School Candidate

Default Same clunk here

I get the same clunk when entering my 03 sc430. Only happens once then after the car sits awhile. Usually happens to me in the morning and then again after work. I also get a clank the first time I engage my brakes. The break thing also happened on my Acura TL. Something about the safety system coming on when you first push on the break peddle.
I am just living with the clank for now. Although the first time it happened I thought to myself "boy I need to lose some weight".
Old 10-28-07, 08:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I still get it intermittently, usually early in the morning, but not afterwards.
Old 10-28-07, 11:05 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Thanks guys. It seems we are having the same noise here. I am pushing to get this fixed cause there is no way it is "Normal". If I get any new results I will definitely report back. My car has been at the dealer for close to a week now.
Old 10-29-07, 10:43 AM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't yet have a 430 (plan on getting an '02 or '03) but I wanted to offer my experience with very similar (same?) issues, in case it may be of some assistance.

I started to encounter a similar clanking sound from the front right of my Solara, around the wheel area. It would happen occasionally when stepping into the car, but primarily when traveling over uneven/bumpy surfaces. For some reason, the clanking happened more often in colder temperatures (morning) than warmer temperatures, much like some of you described. Anyway, the culprit was a rubber front strut mount that had partially worn out. A replacement strut mount quickly solved the problem.

I also briefly owned an '07 Mustang GT (piece of crap), and that car too had a similar clanking sound. After some research, the issue was discovered to be an ill-fitting front strut mount that was later revised by Ford to eliminate the clanking/clunking.

One other clanking sound I had on a previous car (Integra) turned out to be a metal clip that held the front brake pad into place. Simply replacing this $10 brake pad clip solved the problem.

The issue many of you described may or may not be related to the above, but I wanted to chime in since no one mentioned these potential causes.

In any event, I hope the issue is solved, in case I encounter this issue in my future 430!

Last edited by nkx1; 10-29-07 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 11:24 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I think you are really onto something. Its funny, my service advisor said that it could in fact be the "strut"... his admission, not mine. He then went on to say, we cannot duplicate the noise so there isn't much we can do about it. When I asked if he could please check the struts like he suggested, he said 'not really. Not without having the noise duplicate itself in front of the tech."

wtf!?

Last edited by Tensi; 10-29-07 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 12:11 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Tensi,

I've had a reaction like this from my dealer before, for a different problem. "We can't duplicate the problem so there isn't a problem." I took my '03 SC430 in because of a leak in the windshield. When I drove through a high-pressure touchless car wash, water would come streaming in through the driver's side A-pillar (didn't leak when it rained though). Took it to the dealer and it took thm 3 days to tell me they couldn't find the problem. Had to elevate it to the Service Manager. I told them flat-out "This isn't an opinion, the windshield leaks. I don't care if you can't duplicate it; it leaks. This is fact." Took them 6 days to get the glass guy out to actually work on my car. Guess what? They found a leak in the windshield seal. Duh.

And, just to keep things (somewhat) on-topic, I've noticed a "click" sometimes when I get into my '03. Wouldn't describe it as a "clank" though. ("Clank" seems like a louder, harsher noise than a "click").
Old 10-29-07, 01:06 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've upgraded the springs, coilovers and even Tom's STB & sway bars, but the clunk is still there.
I used to think it might be the seat pan, so I had jacked up the car first before I stepped in. No sound was heard.

My theory is that it is caused by the front calipers or the metal clips that hold the brake pads in place.

Try this before you step into your car.
Press down the front calipers first, I was surprised both could be pressed down a little if the car had sit overnight.

After making sure there is no movement on both front calipers, then step into your car.
That click or clunk sound should be gone. At I don't hear it after I do that.

I've owned this car for more than 4 yrs, so I am pretty much immune to the tiny annoying noise here and there on this car that won't endanger your life.
Old 10-29-07, 06:38 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Habious
Tensi,

I've had a reaction like this from my dealer before, for a different problem. "We can't duplicate the problem so there isn't a problem." I took my '03 SC430 in because of a leak in the windshield. When I drove through a high-pressure touchless car wash, water would come streaming in through the driver's side A-pillar (didn't leak when it rained though). Took it to the dealer and it took thm 3 days to tell me they couldn't find the problem. Had to elevate it to the Service Manager. I told them flat-out "This isn't an opinion, the windshield leaks. I don't care if you can't duplicate it; it leaks. This is fact." Took them 6 days to get the glass guy out to actually work on my car. Guess what? They found a leak in the windshield seal. Duh.

And, just to keep things (somewhat) on-topic, I've noticed a "click" sometimes when I get into my '03. Wouldn't describe it as a "clank" though. ("Clank" seems like a louder, harsher noise than a "click").
The dealership is being nice. I don't want to cause problems.

My noise is definitely a louder harsh clank.
Old 10-29-07, 06:40 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by talwang
I've upgraded the springs, coilovers and even Tom's STB & sway bars, but the clunk is still there.
I used to think it might be the seat pan, so I had jacked up the car first before I stepped in. No sound was heard.

My theory is that it is caused by the front calipers or the metal clips that hold the brake pads in place.

Try this before you step into your car.
Press down the front calipers first, I was surprised both could be pressed down a little if the car had sit overnight.

After making sure there is no movement on both front calipers, then step into your car.
That click or clunk sound should be gone. At I don't hear it after I do that.

I've owned this car for more than 4 yrs, so I am pretty much immune to the tiny annoying noise here and there on this car that won't endanger your life.
Interesting. Thank you. I will try that. My main concern is that this is some sort of precursor to something about to fail. But after reading others having the noise without much other issues.. I feel better about it.
Old 10-29-07, 07:17 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You can try my method.

If the noise is still present, then it is probably caused by something else.
If the noise is gone, maybe ask your dealer to install new brake clips to see whether or not it can be eliminated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clank in front when stepping into car.