SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headlight washer cover installation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 02:28 PM
ausbun
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight washer cover installation?

VVTIBob: Can you send me the PDF for installing the cover on the bumper for the headlight washer cover?

I don't want this $47 part to fall off again, like it did the first time I used the washers after I bought the car!

Thanks
Old 08-25-10, 02:40 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Well lets hope the retaining clamp is still there, or it's back to the dealer to order that part too. The third PDF is for replacing the very expensive actuator. I've never had to replace one of these so I cannot offer much help.

There either a retaining clamp as shown, or, a pressure clip to retain the washer nozzle. If its the latter you should be able to seat it in place and feel it click/lock in, otherwise you may have to drop the cover to get to it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Washer Components.pdf (185.2 KB, 5978 views)
front bumper cover.pdf (81.4 KB, 4734 views)
HLW Actuator.pdf (61.5 KB, 3965 views)
Old 08-25-10, 05:55 PM
ausbun
Driver

Thanks! Maybe I can get time to tackle this tomorrow.
Old 08-25-10, 11:51 PM
axel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best place to get the cover?

Car ahead of me hit plastic storage box on the highway. It came flying my way and I was glad it hit the front bumper, rather than my head (I had the top down...). It did pop the washer cover off though...
Old 08-26-10, 05:13 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

That should be covered under you insurance policy. Comprehensive
Old 08-26-10, 08:52 AM
ausbun
Driver

The cover is more than that: It consists of the cover, the nozzle and a pipe with a o-ring seal at the end, to slide down into the actuator.

When I installed it this morning, I just firmly pushed it down into the actuator and it clicked firmly into place. I activated it by turning on the headlights and windshield washer and then pushing he dash button. I didn't realize the whole mechanism comes up about 4 inches to spray the fluid! Amazing.

At the Lexus palace (I compare it to what I think would be one of Saddam's houses), I paid $47 for the assembly. It was special ordered to get the paint correct.
Old 08-26-10, 09:17 AM
VVTiBob

Congrats ... glad it all worked out.
Old 08-26-10, 08:08 PM
ausbun
Driver

Thanks to all the support I get from the good people on this forum, I feel like I can tackle jobs like this.
Old 11-28-16, 08:31 AM
tzw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight washer cover missing

Hi everyone
My car doesn't have headlight washer cover (and spray nozzle). So I bought this from ebay but I have no idea how to fit into my car.
I feel like some part is missing. Could you guys please help me. Thank you This is what I bought from Ebay
This is what I bought from Ebay
This what I have on my car
Old 11-28-16, 10:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Go back to post #2 and open the attached files, they will show you all of the components in the washer system.
Old 06-10-18, 04:28 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Well lets hope the retaining clamp is still there, or it's back to the dealer to order that part too. The third PDF is for replacing the very expensive actuator. I've never had to replace one of these so I cannot offer much help.

There either a retaining clamp as shown, or, a pressure clip to retain the washer nozzle. If its the latter you should be able to seat it in place and feel it click/lock in, otherwise you may have to drop the cover to get to it.
Hey Bob,

Great info as usual. As it turns out, I need what is listed in your Washer Components PDF as "Headlight Cleaner Washer Nozzle." From what Ausbun said in his post, that is a single part that includes the cover, the nozzle and a pipe with a o-ring seal at the end, to slide down into the actuator. That's exactly what I need -- all of that. I have the retaining clamp, which I had to remove to get the broken one out.

So is all that covered under a single part number? Would you be able to let me know what the part number would be for Smokey Mica Granite?

Thanks for any advice/help!!
Old 06-11-18, 06:01 AM
VVTiBob

If I understand you correctly these should be the parts. I say parts because you did not specify left or right. In addition, there was no Smokey Gray Mica color listed for the matching color, but that may just be an interpretation from this vendor. So before ordering from whomever, verify the color code which are the last two characters of the part number.

Old 06-11-18, 04:57 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Thanks Bob.

Never go away again -- LOL!
Old 06-12-18, 04:33 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Just 2 more pictures to help with the detail. The headlamp washers can be gently pulled up to access the securing clip.
Old 06-23-18, 04:06 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Thanks Bob, that was the correct part number. This probably the easiest fix I have ever done. It literally takes less than two minutes, and is doable by anyone, regardless of ability.

In case someone stumbles on this thread in the future....... maybe your nozzle is broken and its not spraying correctly. Maybe the nozzle piece has broken and the headlight washer cover has fallen off so that now you have a hole in the bumper where the headlight washer cover used to be. Have no fear!

The plastic painted cover is part of the nozzle assembly -- its all one piece, one part number, although there are different part numbers for passenger/driver side and also for color.

1. Order part. It is much cheaper online but after adding shipping it seemed to be the same price as my local Lexus dealer. Under $50 out the door.

2. Use your fingers and go inside the hole left by the absence of the painted cover and grab the assembly. If the cover is still on, just use your fingers on it. Pull out the assembly which has your damaged nozzle.

3. In Neil's picture below (thanks, Neil!) I have circled the retaining clip. Use your fingers or a small screwdriver and pull off that clip.

4. In addition to the retaining clip, there is a tab on the side (both sides?) also holding it on. Lift the tab and pull the assembly out.

5. Insert your new assembly until it clicks in place.

6. Re-install clip.

You are done! There is no need to drop the bumper or do anything else, provided the damage is at the nozzle or thereafter. Also, maybe things are different in England, but nothing I saw looked remotely like TZW's photos in his post above. A third hand is helpful to hold the nozzle after it is pulled out while you are uncliping it.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 06-23-18 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Harold57 (06-24-18)

Quick Reply: Headlight washer cover installation?