SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

my '02 SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 04:23 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my '02 SC

Just have to let everyone know that I could not be happier with my car..after all of the vibration and tire balance problems..and poor throttle response... seems to be getting better every day...WOW!! This is now a far different car than I bought last August....for those of you that are frustrated..just hang in there and follow the advice of the experienced members of this forum...Bob
Old 01-07-10, 08:30 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

DRL in an 02 SC can be shut off by getting the CBEST reprogrammed at the dealer. The 02 SC has several programmable features but only a dealer or someone with a programable DTC reader can do it.

Here's the TSIB (Service Bulletin) on the 02 SC430. It also affects a couple other models.
Attached Files

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-07-10 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 08:54 PM
VVTiBob

Hey Bob what exactly did you get done to fix the vibration problem? At a dealer? I believe I'm having some similar problems with my 02. It has 51K but I just put on new tires and wheels at the dealer so I wondering if there is something else I need them to look at.
Old 01-08-10, 04:03 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
Just have to let everyone know that I could not be happier with my car..after all of the vibration and tire balance problems..and poor throttle response... seems to be getting better every day...WOW!! This is now a far different car than I bought last August....for those of you that are frustrated..just hang in there and follow the advice of the experienced members of this forum...Bob
^^^^1, that's great news Katy
Old 01-08-10, 04:21 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Hey Bob what exactly did you get done to fix the vibration problem? At a dealer? I believe I'm having some similar problems with my 02. It has 51K but I just put on new tires and wheels at the dealer so I wondering if there is something else I need them to look at.
Katy here.. check some of the prior posts..we realize now that there are some special issues which started with the 02's , and may not show up with the later models.
Control arm bushings, tires and wheels all players a part in the vibration problem. Having a good trouble shooter was abig help.. but the process took a long time.
Old 01-08-10, 07:09 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

DRL in an 02 SC can be shut off by getting the CBEST reprogrammed at the dealer. The 02 SC has several programmable features but only a dealer or someone with a programable DTC reader can do it.

Here's the TSIB (Service Bulletin) on the 02 SC430. It also affects a couple other models.
I can't get the link to work. it says file not found
Old 01-08-10, 07:57 AM
VVTiBob

Don't know what to tell you. Six others have already viewed it, and opens properly for me from this site.
Old 01-08-10, 09:06 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know what to tell you. Six others have already viewed it, and opens properly for me from this site.
It just wouldn't click and open. if I clicked then saved and then opened it worked fine. Thanks for the link
Old 01-08-10, 09:23 AM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a vibration problem that was traced back to bad shocks at about 55,000 mi.
Old 01-08-10, 01:38 PM
VVTiBob

Katy
Sorry about hijacking your thread.

Lonfrank.... i suppose that's up to your Lexus dealer and the 'relationship' you have with them. But remember no one works for free but some dealers will do some things on a good will / customer relations.
Old 01-08-10, 07:33 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Bob-you are vibrating too? Join the club. Been rebalanced three times now at Discount Tire. I have hub centric rings, new tires/wheels and even the manager has been involved. Road forced balanced, changed locations of weight placement, etc etc. It's always off about .75lbs on one wheel and .25 on the other when I bring it back each time. They RF balance it to perfection and then I drive off and it starts again. I bring it back, wait, etc etc etc. I had to do this on my 2009 FX35 with 22" Verde Kaos and Yoko Parada Spec-X tires and after the fourth balance and about 7500 miles it stopped. Maybe we both need to put more miles on it? It seems like the tires become unseeded on my wheels. Do you think you have same issues as me? What all have you done?
Old 01-08-10, 08:33 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

azkaty,

i'm happy that you're happy.
you'll have many more miles to enjoy your baby now that you've stabalized the car the way you want it to be.

martini3
Old 01-11-10, 07:15 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, too, have had vibration issues since I first bought my '02 last year. Problem comes and goes, but seems to be there most of the time within certain speed ranges (which I forget off-hand). I initially thought it was a poor balancing issue but winter came and I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet. I'd love to hear some suggestions for hopefully, finally correcting this in the spring.
Old 12-20-22, 03:17 PM
pbeukema
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door panel speakers

I am looking at purchasing the foam kit from Simply speakers for my 2002 sc430, I have not pulled door panels off but had assumed the bottom door panel woofers were 6x9 oval and not 6” round? The kit at Simply speakers for this year lists only round speakers? Has anyone purchased the foam kits for this model year? Just want to order the correct kit
this is the kit they have listed-

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/2001-...fsk-ls430.html

thanks for the help

Last edited by pbeukema; 12-20-22 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-20-22, 10:12 PM
gleeson
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pbeukema
I am looking at purchasing the foam kit from Simply speakers for my 2002 sc430, I have not pulled door panels off but had assumed the bottom door panel woofers were 6x9 oval and not 6” round? The kit at Simply speakers for this year lists only round speakers? Has anyone purchased the foam kits for this model year? Just want to order the correct kit
this is the kit they have listed-

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/2001-...fsk-ls430.html

thanks for the help
your link is for the ls430, not the sc430. check the details for the kit for the sc430.
it confirms the door woofers are 6x9.
i have purchased the kit but only had to replace the drivers door foam, and the subwoofer foam behind the rear seat.
stereo sounds great now.

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/lexus...fsk-sc430.html

Last edited by gleeson; 12-21-22 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: my '02 SC