vais options for 2002 sc430

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 08:07 PM
jrharrigan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vais options for 2002 sc430

hey everyone,

i just picked up my sc430 yesterday...a pristine 2002. i am already deeply in love with it.

the one thing that i can't really live with is the cassette adapter i am using to connect my ipod to the sound system. i have scoured the threads here, and i think the vais system sounds like the way to go.

so...has anyone here installed one? is it as simple as it is made to seem? how long should a novice hope to spend on this project, and is there the significant possibility of severe damage?

also...what model will i need? i will probably just buy a dedicated ipod for the car...the 180g model.

where does the ipod go? can it be kept charged, or will i be taking it in at night? how well does the integration work? will i really be able to see track and artist info on the nav screen and head unit?

sorry for these questions, but the other threads are numerous and varied, and i am hoping to get some on-point answers all in one place. thanks for any insight you can offer.

james
Old 08-12-08, 06:22 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got the Vais for my 2003 (same stereo as your 2002) and it works very well with my Sat Radio/CarPC.

KiPod has the nicest Vais setup with his 2002 and iPod. He should chime in and give you he details. He's done a hybrid of the audio interface module for our car (Vais only makes one that works with the 2002-2004's) but uses a newer iPod cable. He can 'splain it better.

It's a fairly easy installation; you just need confidence in taking the dash apart for the first time (can be a little scary). You have to remove the seat-heater controls, the wooden center-console piece (the part with the ashtray and cupholders), and the climate control module. With all of that removed, you can get access to the 4 bolts holding the stereo head-unit in. You've got to pull the head-unit out to unplug one of the cables and plug th Vais harness in. The plug-and-play part takes 90 seconds. The disassembly/assembly of the dash takes 45 minutes, if you do it carefully and take your time. The only real "damage" you can do is scratching things up, if you're not careful. Have some hand-towels on hand to cover things as you're pulling the stereo out. That will save scratches on the wood and tears in the leather that's on the side of the radio console.

I'm copying/pasting this from another thread I posted in a while ago....

Detailed removal instructions can be found through a quick search. The Reader's Digest version is...

1) open armrest (upper and lower)
2) pop seat heater control module out, unplug, and set aside
3) open the stereo door
4) put the car in N or lower
5) lift the wood center console up and back...don't pull too hard, the wire for the stereo-door button is short
6) set this out of the way (if you need to, you can remove the stereo-door button (carefully) to get some more clearance)
7) remove the two big lower screws holding the radio in.
8) remove the climate control module (you can grab it with both hands and carefully pull it loose
9) remove the two big uppper screws holding the radio in
10) CAREFULLY remove the stereo

There are several sharp edges on the stereo unit itself and the leather surrounding the center console is VERY thin. It's very easy to tear/rip/scratch the leather while pulling the stereo out.

There are 3 or 4 multi-pin connectors on the back of the stereo, plus the antenna connector.
Old 08-12-08, 07:30 AM
ASER
Driver School Candidate

Hi James,

I haven't done the installation but here's what I know about this issue:

The VAIS called "SLu" is the only VAIS that will work for the '02-'04 SC430. The 2005+ models are compatible with the more advanced VAIS products like the "SLi".

You will not be able to see the track and artist info on the Nav screen or control what's being played on your iPod with the stereo/steering wheel controls (except for the volume control). You'll have to use the clickwheel and the screen on the iPod itself. Also, SLu by itself cannot charge the iPod; however if you can get the SLi wiring harness (from VAIS Customer Service maybe?) then you'll be able to charge the iPod right in the car. See: http://www.vaistech.com/forums/showt...ighlight=sc430

Here is the thread Habious might have been referring to: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=SLU
Check out KiPod's posts at #5, 11 & 13.

I am not exactly sure where the iPod and the wires leading to it will end up after the installation (I think I'll get a professional installer to put it in). I know some people (not the ones with the SC430s) who have their iPods in their gloveboxes and can control them from the headunit/NAV screen but for us it's not an option. Perhaps other members could throw a few pictures of their setups at us?
Old 08-12-08, 07:51 AM
jrharrigan
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the replies guys.

the last answer was the one i was afraid that i would receive. given everything that was said there, i can't see going through with this.

it's too bad, but there seem to be no options for upgrading the stereo in the car.
Old 08-12-08, 08:13 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The promo coupon mentioned in this thread is still valid (even though it states it ends July 31st). So it ends up being $189.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=365584

Al & Eds sells it for $280, which is WAY about MSRP!
Old 05-26-11, 01:33 PM
Torre
Driver School Candidate

I bought the SLU from VAIS for a 2002 SC430 and it DIDN'T WORK AND they wouldn't give a refund. There is a simple Alpine device that connects through the antenna, shuts off the radio feed when the iPod is playing, and sounds and works great. VAIS is a LOUSY COMPANY!
Old 05-26-11, 01:38 PM
jrharrigan
Driver School Candidate

do you have a link or a model number for the alpine device? sounds like a simple option, and simple is better on my end.