SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Transmission Cooler install with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 12:07 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile Transmission Cooler install with PICS

I had some spare time early today so I went ahead and installed a transmission cooler on the SC430. This is the same exact unit I used on the GS400 prior to the supercharger which required me to remove it due to the intercooler. This is the thick B&M unit. Nice ,compact, yet thick and cools very well.

This is the link of the GS400 install I posted a while back
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=cooler

Now before someone post the question ,"is it necessary?" Let me answer no, nothing is necessary. A person can go buy used oil if they wanted to and put that in their car. Yes-people have asked. However if you want to extend the life of your transmission and especially if you run a high stall TC which I intend to then absolutely yes one should be installed. A few Lexus GS owners that have taken their cars to the autocross complain that the engine light comes on and the car is in ,"limp mode" because the transmission temp is too high.

Keep in mind that over 90% of transmission failures is due to overheating and not from just towing or racing, just regular driving.

I have had one of these in each of the last 5 cars and never a transmission issue. Good enough for me and the piece of mind is rewarding.

Install was a few hours with most of the time fabricating the new lines and flaring them to fit new fittings. I wanted an OEM quality install with no unnecessary rubber hoses running all over the place that can pinch as in other trans cooler setups. I will probably move the horns elsewhere as I did with the GS400 (see pic) though they do not obstruct the cooler too much. Install was easier than the GS400 as there is a 4" opening next to the radiator which allows the metal lines to pass though. Cooler is mounted in factory existing holes in cross frame. A custom bracket was made for mounting purposes.
Lee

A nice family photo after the install.

Pic below is the unit installed on my GS4.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Cooler install with PICS-installed.jpg  

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-25-05 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-27-05, 10:41 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work!

An A/M trans cooler makes sense if you're going to drive the car hard. They are very important on Supra's with upgraded power and especially for anyone with a stall convertor. One might also want to consider this auxillary filter which will add capacity and allow for easy placement of a temp probe. The only issue would be finding a suitable mounting location in the cramped engine compartment.
Old 01-01-06, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

damn lee, you own the sc430 forum on all these installs!
Old 01-01-06, 03:21 PM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Wink Thanx Lee

I did the install today on the tein cs on my 06 Sc430, thanx for all your help with the instructions
The rear cover assys took most of the time.........

I simple green all over the wheel well's before starting and then I hit with my kartcher pressure spayer, Cleaned up nice

There were two bolts on the stock rear upper assys ( each side ), that the tein cs didnt have.

I will be installing the Wald Duchalett II forged 20's tomorrow with michelin sport tires
255 front / 285 rear

Off to the painter will go the Tom's rear roof spoiler / side skirts & front bumper assy

Thanx again
Gee-Bee
Old 07-07-12, 06:06 AM
Young949
Driver School Candidate

You know that picture above you have the transcooler mounted wrong...the fittings should always face upwards or to left or to the right mount sideways in either direction is okay or upright. Because if you have the fittings down it can cause a possible air pocket making your Trans cooler less effective. Check this B&M PDF link.

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploa...er_techdoc.pdf
Old 11-27-12, 08:57 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@PearlPower - Do you still have you installation pictures? I am driving more with the c-gate and have more track days next year. Also can you confirm that the SC has an oil cooler line through the radiator? It seems like it does judging from the diagrams at Sewell. Thanks much
Old 01-06-13, 10:41 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok - answering my own question - the SC does not have an engine oil cooler. What I was seeing is the OEM AT cooler inside the radiator. Posts is this and other threads already mention to install inline with the OEM AT cooler.

Has anyone installed the 20.5k BTU polished AT cooler? Would the larger size impact the cooling ability of the radiator?

From this thread it seems like the 7.5k BTU adds a enough safety margin right?
Old 04-05-17, 05:58 AM
Jerral2002
Driver School Candidate

Default Fluid Level

2002 GS300
I am wanting to tow my 10 foot johnboat and trailer . I know you are not supposed to tow . It is very light . I ordered the tow hitch . I like the cooler idea but have not found a way to check fluid level . How did you figure the fluid level out ?
Old 04-05-17, 07:55 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Additional fluid passages in a system normally reduce that systems internal pressure.

When adding coolers I would try to find ways to add additional pressure to compensate for the frictional losses.

or try to verify the systems ability to operate with a oooler.

i would call steve at luxury motorcars in Monrovia, ca as he hot rodded these long ago and was the luxlink builder.

you are probably fine but a check might be informative.

Steve does recommend regulsr trans oil changes the maintenance schedule does not call for.
Old 04-05-17, 08:21 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Even though it seems volume and pressure are interconnected, Volume and pressure aren't interconnected. More volume doesn't lower pressure. I had problems with grasping this concept in physics class . It took a little time for me to wrap my brain around it. Take the water line in your house. A half inch line and a 3/4 inch line will have the same water pressure. The toilet flush syndrome, is actually a water volume problem. The pressure didn't change. There is a lack of volume to operate two outlets. So by running 3/4 pipe instead of 1/2 , you elevate the volume problem. If you take your air compressor with a 5 gallon tank and the tank pressurizes to 125 psi when it shuts off. Then you add a 100 gallon tank in the middle of your hose. You still have 125 psi. The pressure coming out off the hose is still 125psi. The pressure also doesn't change it you change the size of the hose. That would just let a greater volume of air to exit the hose. The only thing that changes pressure in the transmission is the pump. The only thing you have to worry about is adding the extra volume of fluid needed.

Last edited by Coleroad; 04-05-17 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-05-17, 06:53 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerral2002
2002 GS300
I am wanting to tow my 10 foot johnboat and trailer . I know you are not supposed to tow . It is very light . I ordered the tow hitch . I like the cooler idea but have not found a way to check fluid level . How did you figure the fluid level out ?
i just pull the dipstick to check the transmission fluid level, why would a cooler change the way you check the fluid?
Old 04-06-17, 05:24 AM
Jerral2002
Driver School Candidate

Default <dolt

BAM!!!! LOL , My Technical mind kick my common sense azz again . I was just doing research on project and kept seeing transmission was sealed . Just went out in the rain and yup there is a dipstick . I tend to do a lot of research before i even start , in this case i got a bit of major wrong info , but went with it as so many new cars are sealed . Just got car with all records and Previous owner just had the major service and all was well. The service was about 4K and I paid $5,500 . 135,000 miles . Had a friend of mine at Lexus dealer keeping an eye out for solid trade ins . They had the car 4 hours before I bought it . My first Lexus . He talked me into it saying 200,000 miles on these cars very common . Just "broke in" as he said but hes a young Lexus factory trained mechanic and more than a bit biased ,lol.
I have worked most my life as a mechanic and have seen more than a few high mileage cars get get a first trans service and not be able to pull out of the bay . Usually with trans problems already is why they want the service , granted .

Thanks for the answer . I'll try not to ask many more stoopid questions . Egg on my face Jerral .
Old 04-06-17, 12:16 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerral2002
BAM!!!! LOL , My Technical mind kick my common sense azz again . I was just doing research on project and kept seeing transmission was sealed . Just went out in the rain and yup there is a dipstick . I tend to do a lot of research before i even start , in this case i got a bit of major wrong info , but went with it as so many new cars are sealed . Just got car with all records and Previous owner just had the major service and all was well. The service was about 4K and I paid $5,500 . 135,000 miles . Had a friend of mine at Lexus dealer keeping an eye out for solid trade ins . They had the car 4 hours before I bought it . My first Lexus . He talked me into it saying 200,000 miles on these cars very common . Just "broke in" as he said but hes a young Lexus factory trained mechanic and more than a bit biased ,lol.
I have worked most my life as a mechanic and have seen more than a few high mileage cars get get a first trans service and not be able to pull out of the bay . Usually with trans problems already is why they want the service , granted .

Thanks for the answer . I'll try not to ask many more stoopid questions . Egg on my face Jerral .
LoL, it's all good Jerral, this is an awesome bunch here in the SC430 area! We enjoy driving them and some of us enjoy turning wrenches on them!
Myself, always been a big fan of preventive maintenance on my cars! The transmission can be a weak link if the fluid is never changed. I have always like the way Asian cars have a drainplug on the transmission and why it is present...to change the fluid.
changing the fluid on our cars is easier than changing the oil and I do it every 12-15k miles. It only changes about 3.5-4qts but that is enough to her go for many miles down the road.
same for the brake fluid, power steering fluid and anti freeze.
but that is just me and not everyone agrees with me. ;-)

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-06-17 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 12:35 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GEE-BEE
I did the install today on the tein cs on my 06 Sc430, thanx for all your help with the instructions
The rear cover assys took most of the time.........

I simple green all over the wheel well's before starting and then I hit with my kartcher pressure spayer, Cleaned up nice

There were two bolts on the stock rear upper assys ( each side ), that the tein cs didnt have.

I will be installing the Wald Duchalett II forged 20's tomorrow with michelin sport tires
255 front / 285 rear

Off to the painter will go the Tom's rear roof spoiler / side skirts & front bumper assy

Thanx again
Gee-Bee
would love to take a short ride in a coilover car.

The stock shocks have too much high speed dampening and not enough slow speed dampening in our 08.

derrick at meister said the oem spring is too long.

Lomger spring, same rate, is softer.

where are you located?

or maybe a ride review?