SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 07:36 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile My audio upgrade

Took a while to get this done. Thanks to everyone who's helped with advice, tips, and tutorials.

I basically just wanted a clean audio set up while maintaining a stock look to the best of my abilities.

The Gear!

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS
Alpine PDXV9
JBL MS62c Components
Alpine SPR-50
Kicker CVR-10
Kicker ZCK44 Wiring Kit
Reverse Camera
Dynamat 10455

Safe to say dog didn't sleep in my room for a while.

Sprayed window tracks, and everything else I never plan on seeing behind the door panels again.

First time Dynamatting.

Mounted Tweeters...later had to remove the grill and backing as it was too big to get door trim back on, but they sure looked nice at the time.

Redid plastic liner on both doors and inner speaker surfaces.

Dynamatted the rear. I debated on removing that inner panel, but decided to keep it as it's probably there for a good reason.

Old 4" Speaker

New 5.25" Speaker

Measurements

Test fit

Test fit...these JBL's are HUGE, bigger then 6.5"...beware

Testing...didn't actually use this piece of MDF for final product

Pop out rear deck plates.

Drop in Crossovers... These seemed like a great idea, but if you go this route your going to need to dynamat on top of dynamat.

Sub brackets from my 92/96...this was annoying. I tried reusing my 96 heavy steel bracket but it at the time seemed impossible and I can't remember exactly why. So I grabbed the bracket out of my 92 SC and built two MDF rings around it. Secured with JB Weld's best stuff and MDF screws that wen't through the original bracket holes. Came out solid, but then I realized to mount it I needed to angle the outer bottom bracket to match the rear deck's mounting grooves.... It was a major pain in the *** but it came out perfect, I just wish I took pictures but I was pressed for time.

Old faded cloth sitting next to freshly wrapped grills from the doors.

Last edited by Biddles; 02-12-14 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 07:37 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

I had to modify every speaker grill in my car...more holes...cut outs...you name it. The results were worth it.

Only under rear deck shot I have at the moment...I cleaned up the wiring real nice afterwards.

Everything mounted up...

Steel brackets I made to size. These aren't going anywhere unless I get T-Boned.

Rear Camera

Mounted as close as possible to +Positive connection.

Amp rack came out pretty sweet. Mounted into the original amp rack bolts. Wish I had more pictures of this, there's a cutout under the amp to allow increased air flow in case it gets hot.

Just want to show the new speaker cloth on the doors.

Only shot I have of the rear deck at the moment, waiting to drop the subwoofer grill in just needs a little more modification.

Bass adjuster, remote, flash drive connection, lug nut key, and E-Brake Bypass switch all tucked away neatly so no glancing eyes get extra curious if you know what I mean. Bypass switch is on ON and is actually in the hole.

Would you look at that? Another SC in the rear view.....well half an SC anyway.

Little Lexus background I made...the other one below is better though if anyone else wants to use it go for it!

Random thoughts...
I did a bunch of extra dynamatting not shown, the door's got more before I was done, the inner door panels got some, the rear deck and under the rear deck got more as well as some in the rear quarter panels. The only thing I didn't dynamat yet was the trunk as mine has two dents and I'm looking for a replacement before I waste dynamat as it's not cheap.

I also epoxied some known fragile parts on the doors, nothing broke, but I know key spots that are prone to weakness and gave them some added protection. I also did the double din bracket mod and a few other things I can't think of at the moment.

The bluetooth mic isn't pictured, it's tucked up by the rear view mirror. The wiring came out great, everything is nice and snug with no lumps in the carpet or anything ghetto. I had pics I was proud of but now I can't find them. My speaker cloth took two damn weeks to get shipped to my house so that put a dent in the progress at times, and of course the frigid weather. My only regret is not doing this in the spring because I really froze my ***** off many nights out there. Anyway, it's done, I'm happy I can relax now and enjoy the sounds I know and love. Just gotta fine tune the amp settings and enjoy. Peace, and thanks for all the tutorials guys I wouldn't have attempted it without them. Only thing I need for my interior is 3 spoke wheel, gated shifter and new ebrake boot. Other then that I need a little body work, new trunk, and some wheels.

Last edited by Biddles; 02-12-14 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 07:43 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like it alot nice clean set up
Old 02-12-14, 08:00 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proud uh yuh dude. Got big ***** to go that on your own. When it gets warmer, I'm just gonna pay to have someone do that stuff.
Old 02-12-14, 08:55 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A lot of work but it looks good!
Old 02-12-14, 10:08 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That is a really nice setup! Good job.
Old 02-13-14, 08:03 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I do indeed like to see these kinds of transformation. How is the audio setup sound now? I am sure a much better improvement.
Old 02-13-14, 09:39 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I do indeed like to see these kinds of transformation. How is the audio setup sound now? I am sure a much better improvement.
The old man who had the car before me kept having head unit problems and replaced the Nakamichi with a kenwood single din and 4 channel amp that powered everything, but it was too much power and all the stock speakers were blown. On my new pioneer I can crank it to about 35 without any sign of a distortion, but I've yet to fine tune everything. Safe to say it's a massive improvement. The amp puts out a ton of power, I couldn't believe it when I saw the actual ratings, Alpine really under states the power of these things.... It's rated at 100x4 and 500x1...mine's shown at 143x4 and 564x1 which is over kill for me, and I'll have to be careful not to turn it up too much.

Old 02-13-14, 10:51 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice...where did you get the speaker grill fabric from?
Old 02-13-14, 01:26 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Nice...where did you get the speaker grill fabric from?
I got it off Amazon, but like i said it took two weeks to get to my door. Xscorpion GC3BK. One $10 package was more then enough for the whole car. Used 3M Super 77 to glue it on, probably the easiest part of the whole process.
Old 02-14-14, 12:59 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

thanks, thats the only thing i have been looking for!
Old 02-14-14, 06:26 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Impressive, I like the way she's turned out. Very clean install bro-thanks for sharing!

steve
Old 02-14-14, 07:15 AM
drifterx27
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work. Always love a nice audio build.
Old 02-14-14, 08:31 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

So how does it sound? I have a pioneer free air/shallow mount sub that been sitting in my garage for like 2 years. its similar to your Kicker CVR-10. Does that kicker hit fairly well?
Old 02-14-14, 10:14 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
So how does it sound? I have a pioneer free air/shallow mount sub that been sitting in my garage for like 2 years. its similar to your Kicker CVR-10. Does that kicker hit fairly well?
Yea it does sound really good. I used to have an L7 in a ported box, it obviously can't come close to that, but I wasn't going for car rattling bass, I just wanted a very clean sound, and I'm really surprised it hits as hard as it does for a $100 free air sub. You can really feel it punch the drivers seat. Of course I have plenty of power for it, I could blow it if I make it too loud, still haven't fine tuned it yet as I've been sick the last few days.

Quick Reply: My audio upgrade