SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc400 swap to jdm 2jz-gte questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 06:34 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you 2jzgte guys have the same issue with the tempurature gauge not working after a swap? and wouldn't it be just be easier to use the temp sensor from the GE motor?
Old 07-20-11, 06:43 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ the body plug pinouts vary depending on year for the sc300 and the soarer. The temp issue occurs because people do not bother actually matching up the body plugs and simply extend the harness.
Old 07-20-11, 07:59 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

not to thread jack. but the temp wire i personally extended is in the right place. it just doesn't work right. goes right up to H.
Old 07-20-11, 08:39 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Where can I find a rear sump motor and trans? Possibly R154? Non VVTI?

Heres a list of things that I have researched that will have to be bought just to do the swap, NOT to include tuning or adding a single turbo, just doing the swap.

SC300/400 clutch kit, to inlcude pedals, cylinder, springs, etc- Drift Motion
TT cooling fan
SC300 Fan shroud
SC300 motor mounts
TT fuel pump or Walbro 255
2JZGTE main ECU and wiring
SC300 gauge cluster, for a more accurate reading on the rpm's.
SC300 driveshaft
Custom driveshaft due to the yokes being diffferent from the 400 auto.

The decision is yours in which tranny you use, auto or manual. This will dictate what other parts needed for the build. Other people please chime in and continue the list.. This is all that I have gathered. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 07-20-11 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 08:44 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can find a rear-sump oil pan in our classifieds, ebay, craigslist, supraforums, etc... basically everywhere. You can use a 2JZ-GE oil pan and drill your own hole as well.

You can also find R154's in those same places. You'll want to look for a Soarer model but there are ways to make the MKIII model work as well.
The following users liked this post:
LEXXIUM (01-21-19)
Old 07-20-11, 08:49 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I remember reading that somewhere about drilling out and using another type.. This confirms the options we have to get the motor in. Why the difference, just the subframe positions in each car? Im guessing? This is becoming a great thread. Keep the info coming!
Old 07-20-11, 08:51 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

The pins for both the temp wire and the ground from the gauge cluster to the intake need to be right.

Rear sump oil pans? reuse your ge ones. if you want r154 than do a 1jz/r154 swap, if you want auto go 2jz-gte auto. IMO.

Supra shroud needs to be used with Supra radiator. SC shroud needs to be used with SC radiator.

Supra or SC mounts work but Supra are more stout.
Old 07-20-11, 08:54 PM
VinSCe
Driver

I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding you. (I'm slow)

Anyways, let me reiterate. I believe that the subframe of the SC3 and the SC4 the same, however, the mounts are different. (Don't quote me on that one) Therefore, you'll need to use SC3/Supra mounts instead of 1UZ mounts which are pointed in a different direction.

As far as having to use a rear-sump oil pan, the front sump simply won't fit. Any JZ motor that didn't come from an SC or a Supra will have a front-sump. You can use a pan that comes from the naturally-aspirated 2JZ oil pan as long as you drill your own hole for your oil return lines.

In order to get an R154 in, I believe you also need a JZ-specific transmission mount.
Old 07-20-11, 09:02 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VinSCe
Anyways, let me reiterate. I believe that the subframe of the SC3 and the SC4 the same, however, the mounts are different. (Don't quote me on that one) Therefore, you'll need to use SC3/Supra mounts instead of 1UZ mounts which are pointed in a different direction.
Correct

Furthermore if you get an engine that isn't from a Supra or SC then the engine mount brackets are also incorrect.

As far as having to use a rear-sump oil pan, the front sump simply won't fit. Any JZ motor that didn't come from an SC or a Supra will have a front-sump. You can use a pan that comes from the naturally-aspirated 2JZ oil pan as long as you drill your own hole for your oil return lines..
Correct

In order to get an R154 in, I believe you also need a JZ-specific transmission mount.
Correct.

Furthermore if the engine is from a Mark III Supra 7M-GTE the jz specific bellhousing and flywheel will be required.
The following users liked this post:
LEXXIUM (01-21-19)
Old 07-20-11, 09:04 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Okay, good! I've actually learned something during my short stay here at CL! =]
Old 07-20-11, 09:09 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

You need an sc400 driveshaft and the tailshat/flange from the sc400 trans if going with an aristo 2jzgte.
Old 07-21-11, 05:21 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Where can I find a rear sump motor and trans? Possibly R154? Non VVTI?

You almost can't unless you buy a supra swap , usually come with 6 speed if you get lucky the seller may split them if he has a buyer for the V160.
The aristo and the supra are the only 2jzgte swap available aristo is front sump and supra is rear..
Heres a list of things that I have researched that will have to be bought just to do the swap, NOT to include tuning or adding a single turbo, just doing the swap.

SC300/400 clutch kit, to inlcude pedals, cylinder, springs, etc- Drift Motion
TT cooling fan
SC300 Fan shroud
SC300 motor mounts
TT fuel pump or Walbro 255
2JZGTE main ECU and wiring
SC300 gauge cluster, for a more accurate reading on the rpm's.
SC300 driveshaft
Custom driveshaft due to the yokes being diffferent from the 400 auto.

The decision is yours in which tranny you use, auto or manual. This will dictate what other parts needed for the build. Other people please chime in and continue the list.. This is all that I have gathered. Correct me if I am wrong please.
Get the tT mounts they are better
Originally Posted by account2x
The pins for both the temp wire and the ground from the gauge cluster to the intake need to be right.

Rear sump oil pans? reuse your ge ones. if you want r154 than do a 1jz/r154 swap, if you want auto go 2jz-gte auto. IMO.

Supra shroud needs to be used with Supra radiator. SC shroud needs to be used with SC radiator.

Supra or SC mounts work but Supra are more stout.
he has an SC400 not a 300. SC300 and SC400 uses the same mounts, same subframe.
The last time i checked the 1jzgte was worst swap ever? that's what you said in the other thread, but not you are telling him to do a 1jz R154 swap.
Why auto if it's 2jzgte, he had already made up him mind he is not asking for your opinion

I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding you. (I'm slow)

As far as having to use a rear-sump oil pan, the front sump simply won't fit. Any JZ motor that didn't come from an SC or a Supra will have a front-sump. You can use a pan that comes from the naturally-aspirated 2JZ oil pan as long as you drill your own hole for your oil return lines.

All toyota /lexus 2doors and RWD are rear Sump and all the 4 doors RWD are front sumps

Originally Posted by xspsi6
You need an sc400 driveshaft and the tailshat/flange from the sc400 trans if going with an aristo 2jzgte.
Yes that's correct.

Nice thread let's keep it going.
Old 07-21-11, 08:31 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

This is one of the best threads on ruling out what to get and not to get FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY DONE THIS FIRST HAND!

Lets go a little deeper, what size single turbo and why? I know this depends on the pockets of broke fello SC members, but lets hear from poeple who have single over the dual stock turbos. How much boost can you send the stock OEM turbo from a 2JZGTE, VVTI and non VVTI? Is there a difference?
Old 07-21-11, 10:02 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What Power ?
What ECU?
What do you wanna do with the Car?
What's your budget? alot of things come in play..
Single turbo is completely different from stock twins trust me , first hand experience i can't stand stock twins (they are boring) if you asking me but to each their own they don't make power after 6k rpm , spools so fast , spool at idle if you ask me not my style.. but it may suit the others .

Maximum box i would throw at the twins will be ~17-19 psi on 2jzgte Aristo or Supra VVTi or Non VVTI.
Old 07-21-11, 03:53 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thats more good info on how much boost you can throw at the stock twins. What about standalone or piggyback? Why one or the other?

Quick Reply: Sc400 swap to jdm 2jz-gte questions