SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'96 FogLight Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-10, 09:56 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Huh

Wiring them to the side marker lights(95+ dont have cornering lights) would make them come on all the time. then you couldnt have them off with the low beams on if you choose to do so. this way you can turn on the fogs independently. yes you do have to remember to turn them off, but IMHO fair trade off.
pics of lighting options

Old 01-15-10, 11:03 PM
gunnut003
Driver School Candidate

I wired my car tonight, but I got the power from the parking lights (I have a 98 SC300). This DOES allow the fog lights to be on WITHOUT the headlights... Below are some pictures of the various light combos...I also have a video.

Just one note on the video, I will open the door, close it, pull the key out (simulating engine off with lights left on), you will see me (or not, it looks darker after upload) show the camera the key, then the door will open, and the lights will turn off, and door closes again.---the flashed red dot is a dead pixel in my camera LCD or lense or whatever.

THIS will allow the foglights to act independant of the headlights, but dependant on the parking lights (which was my intent anyway) but it also retain the auto shutoff for all the lights.

One last note on why the fog lamps turn off when the High Beams go on...at least my take... is that legally on the road you can only have up to 4 lights on facing forward (at least my state is like that).

Here is the link to the video, it ended up darker than I thought, but it gets the point across.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/725/video14137c.mp4

Last edited by gunnut003; 01-15-10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 11:26 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunnut003
Would it not be better if the power source came from the parking lights (foglight relay would get the power from pig-backng off the corner light fuse (with a second fuse for the relay), rather than the headlights as the OEM. This will not be as simple and clean as this mod, but would allow the foglights to be on with the parking lights (which I like the look of, anyway) but they should also be automatically turned off with the parking lights too when the door is opened with no key, and reduce the risk of forgetting fog lights off. , etc.

Right?
The first mod variation was fun while it lasted, But this is exactly the reason why I disabled it, I also hated how the foglights didn't turn off along side the lowbeams and parking lights, so I put it all back to stock...You definitely got my attention with this mod variation of yours...I want ALL my lights to turn off when I pull the key or open the door...Subscribed!
Old 01-15-10, 11:42 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Cool mod.. I've always wanted to do this. Thanks!!!
Old 01-16-10, 12:43 AM
gunnut003
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
The first mod variation was fun while it lasted, But this is exactly the reason why I disabled it, I also hated how the foglights didn't turn off along side the lowbeams and parking lights, so I put it all back to stock...You definitely got my attention with this mod variation of yours...I want ALL my lights to turn off when I pull the key or open the door...Subscribed!
I will make you a deal......if you guys help me find out which wire on my 1998 sc300 disables the factory alarm WITHOUT unlocking the doors, (the green(-) one in the kick panel that is written in the remote start instructions unlocks the doors and disables, not JUST Disables.) and how to wire up a relay to get my telescoping steering whell to work properly with the remote start (I know it is the keysense wire that needs to be hooked up to the remote start status output wire (BUT MY BYPASS is hook to the output wire). I think I need to use a relay to keep the key sense seperate from the bypass module while still hooked up to the same remote start output wire

These are the only two wires that I STILL need to connect. Do you guys know anyone on these boards that has the wiring diagrams, that could possibly help me????

ANYWAY back on topic.

--All I did was put three male-female extensions for the relay numbers 1, 3, 5, (I had to make my own--Radio Shack was out of what the OP used--but I think the male pins I used are a bit too small so I will redo my wiring to make sure it is a snug fit.) and
--for relay number 2, I put one of the fuse extender thingsvon the parking light fuse in the drivers kick panel (i THINK I will leave my fuse cap off [shrug] and )
--Next I used about 6-8 inches of wire with two female ends (measure it to be a good fit from the relay to the fuse, not too tight/loose)
--Lastly, I hooked up the #2 relay pin to the parking light fuse.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by gunnut003; 01-16-10 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-16-10, 01:36 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Thumbs up yes

Originally Posted by gunnut003
Would it not be better if the power source came from the parking lights (foglight relay would get the power from pig-backng off the corner light fuse (with a second fuse for the relay), rather than the headlights as the OEM. This will not be as simple and clean as this mod, but would allow the foglights to be on with the parking lights (which I like the look of, anyway) but they should also be automatically turned off with the parking lights too when the door is opened with no key, and reduce the risk of forgetting fog lights off. , etc.

Right?
Yes, this new edited post sounds alot better and makes sense. i didnt understand your first wirng concept, maybe it was me, but yeah this would be alot better as everything would cut off like factory. didnt mean to sound like i was coming at you. thanks for you write up as well.
if you could explain again how you are tapping into the parking lamps. LOL im not getting itLOL

Last edited by SpiderN9NE; 01-22-10 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 03:34 PM
gunnut003
Driver School Candidate

Here is what it looks like, But I may try to find a different wire, so I can CLOSE the fuse box cap. (The taillights wire would work for this.)

This pictured setup was just the expedient way to see if my idea worked.

Old 01-17-10, 06:31 AM
SC300Star
Driver School Candidate

I added a horn/buzzer to my design - also very simple and inexpensive. Here's how it works: turn off the car while the fogs are on and the horn/buzzer sounds. Pics & parts list to follow...
Old 01-17-10, 01:25 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Yeah

Understand how to wire it to the relay but how are you gettin the long wire to tap into the parking light fuse? more female connectors and a t-tap off of that?
Old 01-17-10, 02:22 PM
SC300Star
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpiderN9NE
...how are you gettin the long wire to tap into the parking light fuse?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102780
Old 01-17-10, 04:37 PM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post cool

thanks guys
Old 01-22-10, 08:08 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn this looks easy for you guys.. Us 92-94 folks have a way longer writeup!
Old 01-25-10, 07:43 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Did this yesterday on my '99 400. Never really wired anything thing up before and suck at crimping so the insulated part of the connectors needless to say are crushed. But the connections seem tight.

Also is the relay supposed to be warm to the touch after 5-10 minutes of use? Didn't take notice before I did this. It's doesn't get hot but noticeably warm.

Now to find some city lights/corner bulbs that match my low hid's.
Old 01-30-10, 10:34 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

bump......
Originally Posted by Durrby
Also is the relay supposed to be warm to the touch after 5-10 minutes of use? Didn't take notice before I did this. It's doesn't get hot but noticeably warm.
Old 01-30-10, 02:18 PM
gunnut003
Driver School Candidate

The relay should be fine.. it has electricity running through it...

Also did you wire it like written in the first post, OR the way I described it? on this page?

My way allows the fog lamps to be on with the marker lights and ALSO autoturn off when you turn the car off and LEAVING the switch on.

Quick Reply: '96 FogLight Mod