SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Spice up your SC with a Euro look

Old 08-21-03, 11:36 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first bought my SC, the previous owner had already removed the plastic cover for whatever reason, and exposed the stainless. It looked like this:

However, I did not like the look. It was too shiny for my tastes as I wanted everything clean looking. I priced replacing the covers, but to do that you have to buy the whole window trim assembly for $700 per side!! So, I decided to have a body shop paint them for considerably less:

Now, my SC looks like this:

I think the painted pillars look better than the plastic covers, as they now perfectly match the body color. Plus, I actually saved several hundred dollars compared to replacing the entire assembly. I then used the money to have other items repaired, such as repainting both front and rear bumper covers.

I'm not saying the shiny pillars are bad. I think they look OK, they just were not what I wanted on my ride.
Old 08-21-03, 07:15 PM
miketyler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here you go:

Mike
Old 08-21-03, 08:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Fairly nice. IMO personally i feel it dates the car. reminds me of something from the 80's when that was popular on cars. Myself, i prefer painted, but it's all about you. Glad you enjoy your mod .
Old 08-21-03, 08:57 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

I like it, good find & great pictures. Are there any other cars that have this look out of the factory? Someone said Audi? I don't believe I've ever seen this before, but maybe I'd be more convinced if I saw this feature on another luxury car. I also wonder if all SC years are like this underneath the paint.
Old 08-22-03, 01:14 AM
danielribo
Driver School Candidate

Mine had scratches there as well when i picked it up, and i figured it was from opening/grabbing the door with rings on fingers???
Old 08-22-03, 11:55 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Mike, what did you do about the screw holes at the top?
Old 08-25-03, 02:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

^
Old 08-29-03, 03:47 PM
miketyler
Rookie

screws at the top? Not sure I understand; I stripped it and cleaned it is about it.

I am not sure how dark the tint is on this thing, its been awhile you know

I have an extra set of mats if anyone ios interested. Also, the whole car may be for sale soon - thinking of going with an XK8 jag
Old 08-30-03, 12:56 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default XK8 eh ...

Originally posted by miketyler
screws at the top? Not sure I understand; I stripped it and cleaned it is about it.

I am not sure how dark the tint is on this thing, its been awhile you know

I have an extra set of mats if anyone ios interested. Also, the whole car may be for sale soon - thinking of going with an XK8 jag
You are selling your Lexus to get a Jag ??? Is there something wrong with this picture or is it just me... I was looking at getting an XK8 later on down the road after I got my house and when I could find one for a good price, but I have heard ALOT of horror stories about Jags.... Please correct me if I am wrong because I would like to own a XK8 as my next car once I got everything in place but then again I don't want to buy something that will be in the shop more then in my garage and I don't want to spend thousands and thousands every couple of months or what not.... BTW if I did get a Jag I would not be selling my SC I will never get rid of my Lexus, When the engine dies I will be doing a swap/turbo and so on, but I don’t see the SC dieing anytime soon (knock on wood)

Shawn
Old 08-30-03, 04:54 AM
miketyler
Rookie

yes, I am looking at XK-8's. This is truly a case of just wanting something different. I am hesitant to leave the reliability of the Lexus that I have come to enjoy. You know there is nothing wrong with it, the styling, performance, interior, quality, etc just can't be beat. But after 4 yrs, am wanting to try something else.

So you are hearing the same things I have about those Jags being high maintenance? I am still doing my research and very nearly bought a 97 SC400 because it was such a deal but someone beat me to it. My car has 131K on it now and while the Lexus has the Toyota background for its exterme longevity, I am either looking at a lower mile Jag or another later model SC400 than the 95 I have.
Old 08-31-03, 04:21 AM
Dominik
Driver

Someone asked whether there was any other cars that had this look - the Porsche Cayenne also has it. I think it looks sweet, but my panels are perfect and i dont want to ruin that. I'll keep an eye out at the wreckers for another set though!
Old 09-01-03, 11:03 AM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

XK8? Blah.

I agree the body is very nice, but the car has been panned by the critics since day one for being all show and no performance. I talked to a guy at the local Lexus dealership (I already had my SC so he knew he wasn't selling me anything) - he has driven dozens of SC's and they got an XK8 roadster as a tradein and he had a chance to drive it quite a bit and said he was VERY disappointed - body roll, poor steering feedback, uneven throttle response, poor body rigidity, and just not very quick - he said it couldn't compare to the SC4 in power & handling, and then you add in the relibility issues - Blah!
Old 09-02-03, 01:54 AM
Maeve
Lexus Test Driver

Nice Work 'Bro !!

BTW, Don't get a Jag, get a Mercedes or a Bimmer, they are more reliable.

Dominic
Old 09-04-03, 06:17 AM
Leexus
Driver

Euro look? Euro SC's just look like the ones from the US....
Old 09-04-03, 07:09 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Mike, what material was used to remove the paint?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spice up your SC with a Euro look