SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Corn Carbon 5 Speed Manual Shift Bezel

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 04:05 PM
Crypto79
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Ordered one and asked for some custom tweaks, will report back when I get it. I have some poly bushings and new mounts to go with a few bulbs type of maintenance coming up. That and some fluids it should be good for the next year
Old 06-16-19, 07:12 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Ordered mine a couple weeks ago. Very excited.
Old 06-18-19, 06:56 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Has anyone taken pics of the underside of the bezel? I want one, but I am kind of skeptical of the mount points. I asked the guy who makes them about it and he said "Mounts like OEM, don't ask for pics of underside."

I'm thinking, why on earth would he say not to ask for pics if he is trying to sell them?!
Old 06-18-19, 04:30 PM
Crypto79
Driver

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
Has anyone taken pics of the underside of the bezel? I want one, but I am kind of skeptical of the mount points. I asked the guy who makes them about it and he said "Mounts like OEM, don't ask for pics of underside."

I'm thinking, why on earth would he say not to ask for pics if he is trying to sell them?!
English might not be his native language. I’ll take a pic of mine when it comes in.
The following users liked this post:
mrmj2u (06-19-19)
Old 09-30-19, 11:37 PM
stagen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmj2u

Curious about this as well. I’d almost have to think it’s just a carbon overlay bonded to a modified auto bezel.
Old 10-01-19, 05:25 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s not an overlay. I bought one. It’s made with a mold
Old 10-01-19, 08:07 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by stagen
Curious about this as well. I’d almost have to think it’s just a carbon overlay bonded to a modified auto bezel.
Today I spoke to someone who has one of these Corn Carbon M/T bezels. He said it is not merely a carbon overlay onto an OEM M/T or A/T bezel but rather a full carbon fiber part made from a mold of an original one, minus the switch location of course.

I asked if there were anything odd about the underside and he said there wasn’t other than it not having a nice polished surface like the upper side that faces the driver and passenger.

He also said these carbon bezels are not being made any longer— a downer it that’s true. There is a very limited market for these but it seems that they came and went.

I hope they actually are still being made in batches depending on demand.
Old 10-02-19, 05:31 PM
Crypto79
Driver

Originally Posted by stagen

It isn’t, it is molded woven carbon fiber with OEM postioned Mount points. I put one in right before I wrecked my car. They even made my custom with matte finish and red stitching. Top quality

it took two months but I just had one made

my one note was the shift boot opening is wider than the OEM leather. Not bad, just noticeable
Old 10-03-19, 09:19 PM
KahnBB6

^^ One reason for the larger opening could be to allow for universal clearance not just for W58 and R154 traditional shifters but also for the slightly different shifter placement of V160 swaps, CD009 swaps and Tremec Magnum swaps.

I recall that one member a long while back with a V160 swap (this may have been Dmitry / 97-SC300) took a new OEM SC manual shift bezel and had to cut and modify it slightly to trim off some plastic from the upper area of the shift boot opening and add some material back to the lower area of the opening. He then re-finished the entire thing like stock with a new leather boot so that it looked like it was stock again. If you were to compare his custom modified SC manual shifter trim to a stock one they would look the same other than the main opening being "pushed" up a bit to account for the forward throws of the V160 shifter.

Perhaps the seller/maker of the Corn Carbon shift bezel wanted to be sure that alternative manual transmission swaps would have no shifter clearance issues?
Old 10-12-19, 09:52 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I'd like to add something to this thread.
The CornCarbon CF bezels can crack if they are taken off and removed often. this just happened to someone on FB and they made a post about it, I think in the Mods group.

They are a nice piece, and perfect for someone looking to finish off a nice car, but they aren't as durable as the OEM piece, so if you so happen to have one, use caution with install and removal.
This is even a bigger deal if what KahnBB6 said is true and the carbon bezels are discontinued
Old 10-13-19, 02:06 AM
KahnBB6

^^ I was not aware they need to be handled with that much care to avoid any cracking! Thank you for mentioning that. Hopefully it takes a great many repeated installs and removals to come close to harming it?

As far as the availability is concerned I was told my info by a former (or maybe he's still here) CL member. He said he had ordered the last one available at the time. I do hope it's really just a cyclical thing. I've never bought one of these bezels myself so maybe someone else can confirm if they're still available or not currently.
Old 10-13-19, 08:05 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

That's the downside to carbon fiber. Strong and light ... but very brittle if there are air pockets or improper reinforcement. Hopefully, the lack of availability is just a "back to the drawing board" thing to get them right.
Old 10-13-19, 04:58 PM
Crypto79
Driver

I have one if I end up parting my car out. I’ll also have a bunch other parts like an OEM one and a 97 5 speed gauge cluster with 59k miles on it
Old 10-15-19, 09:14 PM
BuckIt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crypto79
I have one if I end up parting my car out. I’ll also have a bunch other parts like an OEM one and a 97 5 speed gauge cluster with 59k miles on it
I'll happily take the OEM one off your hands, when you're ready to sell. And I'm in VA and can pick up.
Old 11-03-19, 12:20 PM
WolfMxbee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you get in touch with corn carbon??? I’ve been trying to purchase some parts from him on his website, Instagram, Facebook and can’t seem to get in touch

Quick Reply: Corn Carbon 5 Speed Manual Shift Bezel