Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electrical Gremlins -1996 SC400 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 06:27 AM
rdbuss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical Gremlins -1996 SC400 - Questions

Hello, all! I am a new owner of a 1996 SC400 and it has a few electrical gremlins running around and I was hoping I could tap this forum's knowledge and see if I can sort it out.

Symptoms:
-Headlights turn on after locking doors (either the door lock button being pressed, or the remote key fob).
-When car is off and headlight switch is set to the fully "on" position, often times (not always) the headlights will shut off.
-Speedometer has recently stopped working. I believe I heard some kind of buzzing or humming when this happened, too. Not sure if the two are related.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to their car?

Also, I would love to get my hands on some documentation about the electrics in this car, either a diagram or manual of some kind. Does anyone out there have one they have found helpful?

Thanks for your help! :-)
Old 02-21-19, 12:46 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

There are probably some wiring diagrams are online, but for starters I would check all your ground wires that are connected from your block to the frame, your headlight stalk switch may be just wore out, I wouldn’t call an electrical issue, it’s a wear item that gets used, as for your speedo quit working, that’s a common issue with our scs on pre 98 yr models.
im not sure on this, but you may be able to make ls400 stalk work with some mods if you couldn’t find one for sc
Old 02-21-19, 01:06 PM
rdbuss
Driver School Candidate

I will start by checking the ground wires, see if something is loose. Thanks!
Old 02-22-19, 06:17 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rdbuss
I will start by checking the ground wires, see if something is loose. Thanks!
If your car was ever lower check the harness above the driver wheel
Old 02-25-19, 07:29 AM
rdbuss
Driver School Candidate

Smile Solved

Just wanted to post a follow-up. I have solved my electrical issues! Looks like there was an aftermarket security sensor of some kind spliced into the wiring. I did a close examination of how it was spliced in and it looked like all the original wire paths were left intact, so I could simply cut the aftermarket garbage out and leave the car working like it should, so that's what I did. Lo and behold, all my electrical problems were fixed once everything was removed!

The culprit.