SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Import a J-Spec Soarer?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-03, 10:25 PM
chris allen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arrrgghhhh!!

I talked to the RI today and now it looks like the price might jump up to get the legalization done. He is only going to register the car since it is already here. 1st the price was $2500. I can deal with that. Now it might possibly jump up to $7200!! ouch!! I dont know what im gonna do.
Old 11-05-03, 10:45 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

Chris,some how i don't think that will be the end of it!......ask him for it in writing,a complete breakdown of what is to be done,bit by bit,that should be interesting!.....i really would like to know what conversions they have to do?
Any way what did you have to do to get it past customs?
baz.
Old 11-12-03, 08:07 AM
rupertaker
Rookie

Originally posted by Tommyd1919
OK.. The main thing to worry about First is if your car is already in the US did you get the deregisteration paper work done before th car left Japan.. If NO then guess what thats a REAL BIG problem.. If the car has not left japan then make sure this is done... Second find an importer that has a history with shipping half cuts and motor sets and have them just MSO a whole car.. Now don't use someone new to the importing game.. The new people get alot more hassle from Customs that the one the are use to dealing with..If you are on the East coast find someone that uses the Savannah Ga port. No Xraying of containers here and also no smogging of cars. Then you will have to find someone at the DMV that is "WILLING" to help you. Even though it is a hassle fo most to be honest its not really as hard for the DMV as they want you to think. They can do the paper work and have the VIN which is under the hood on the Soarer into the computer as a "special registration"...But the main thing is the deregisteration paper work... This show the car left Japan legally and that a car is not still in Japan registred as the same as the one they register. It will take a while to get it all done but it can be done... Now is it worth is...The comment about just swapping VIN plates with a SC, well that would work but getting the car here and through customs is a big part of the problem.. We had to pay a guy to cut up two complete Supras a few years back before customs would pass the container.. Thats why I hate dealing with West Coast ports.. I will let my stuff ride for two extra weeks to get to a East Coast Port..Its all about finding people that is wiling to help and that can come through on there part.. (1) finding a car and having it deregistered (2) finding an importer that will take the chance of having there whole container held up in customs to MSO a whole car. (3) findng a person at the DMV that either just doesn't care or doesn't know and that will use the deregisteration paper work and build a record under special registration like they do for military people with "GREY" market Mercedes and BMWs from Germany. And believe me I know all this to be true.
What does '' MSO'' mean?
Old 11-13-03, 11:15 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

Got a feelin you'll b waitin along time!......[still waitin to Q's i posted a yr ago!]

Hedgehogs only *** out at certain times of the year!!....
Old 11-28-03, 04:21 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Saw someone in gainesville with a JDM soarer, but didnt have a chance to ask him about it.
Old 12-03-03, 02:30 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

Chris, give us an update man!.........what happend to that RI?

Baz.
Old 12-03-03, 02:42 PM
chris allen
Driver School Candidate

Default soarer

bad news for me!!! my friend is now backing out of selling the car to me. Not her fault though. Her son just came back from baghdad and he wants the car. Call Barry Taylor Enterprises in Richmond CA. Talk to mike. He is really cool. He can help you out. I havent had the chance to tell him the news yet. Look on the nhtsa website of importers for the #.
Old 12-10-03, 01:02 PM
SagaSupra
Driver School Candidate

Default importing japanese soarer

i am currently talking to a few of my friends who specialize in imports/exports and i'm trying to legalize a japanese right hand drive soarer for the Mrs (who posts as Kare Bear). there are many steps to legalizing and registering a japanese imported vehicle for street use in california and i am looking for anyone who has successfully done so. there are some paper work that i am in search of that im hoping you guys can help us with which includes a crash test report. T.I.A.
Old 12-10-03, 01:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=importing

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=90924

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=93363

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-10-03 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 07:29 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

I know this has been mentioned here a lot. I don't know about soarers exactly but I recently moved from Australia and was trying to bring in a R-33 GS2.5T Skyline as they are pretty cheap in Australia.
It turned out way too much damn work and money and I just couldn't justify it.
Soarers may be easier because they are also built for the U.S. some cars are not at all prepared for the U.S. like the damn skyline, or Mitsubishi FTO.
Hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 12-10-03, 11:26 PM
Kare Bear
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by HotBoy
I know this has been mentioned here a lot. I don't know about soarers exactly but I recently moved from Australia and was trying to bring in a R-33 GS2.5T Skyline as they are pretty cheap in Australia.
It turned out way too much damn work and money and I just couldn't justify it.
Soarers may be easier because they are also built for the U.S. some cars are not at all prepared for the U.S. like the damn skyline, or Mitsubishi FTO.
Hope you have better luck than I did.
Did you try to go through Motorex? There are actually smaller companies now that you can import cars through that don't charge as much. The problem is attaining the paperwork needed to make it legal.
Old 12-11-03, 03:03 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Why oh why do people want to do this?

I am assuming you want to keep it RHD because it "looks cool"? If you plan on converting it, ignore the rest of this:

Do you know that it is dangerous and inconvenient to say the least? Yes, I have driven RHD cars on LHD roads for extended periods. No, I would never do it again. Especially for "wow, you're on the wrong side of the car - neato". The steering wheel is on the left hand side of the car for a reason.
Old 12-11-03, 01:45 PM
SagaSupra
Driver School Candidate

reason in doing this is because the option is there. and we're attempting to get the 1jzgte 2.5TT version. we really dont care about the jdm thing or the rhd drive aspect. mainly focused on power potential. another way of going bout this is to get a sc300 and drop in a 2jzgte, but then we might as well get another supra to add to the collection.

the mrs really wants a luxury car with the power of a supra tt and the 2.5tt version of the soarer is the best answer.

Last edited by SagaSupra; 12-11-03 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-11-03, 03:42 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

No I didn't go through Motorex. At the time all they were doing was the NA cars and I didn't see the point of a skyline without a turbo. Plus as I said before I couldn't justify the money. When a skyline only costs you like $12000 US it is hard to spend like 40 to get it legal. Guess I'll just have to wait for one of my military friends to go to Sydney again and then just take my chances with the car when it gets here.
And yes I do not see the point of bringing in a soarer, I wanted to do it for the obvious reason. Skylines basically don't exist here and I would love to have taken a weekend to cruise around handing mustangs their *** all day.
Old 12-11-03, 04:14 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a thought,

Are you guys allowed to bring cars in as a wreck or parts car without major hassles? Because if so, (it'll be more expensive though), wouldn't you be able to buy a USDM SC300, and a bad condition JZZ30 Soarer (say for about $2000 or so US) and take all the parts from the JZZ30 and fit them into the SC300, if you really wanted the 1JZ and everything else (ie. the bigger brakes etc.)?

Jose

Quick Reply: Import a J-Spec Soarer?!?!?!?!