SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Old May 1991 Chicago Tribune review of the "new" Lexus SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 12:05 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts
Default Old May 1991 Chicago Tribune review of the "new" Lexus SC400

Some great nostalgia here including a breakdown of the original option packages on the SC400. Apologies if this has already been posted.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...786-story.html
The following 3 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
LEXXIUM (12-10-18), Noisy (08-02-19), ThomasGS4 (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 09:35 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That’s a pretty cool article. It seems like the SC400 was well liked and respected back in the day. I wish Incould have driven a brand new back then.

I wonder just how different things would be if America got the same options as Japan, including the 1JZ-GTE.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (12-12-18)
Old 12-10-18, 12:45 PM
xCWolf
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally, we asked whether the SC400 could best be described as the poor man`s BMW 850i.

''I`m not sure a poor man could afford the SC400, either,'' he said, smiling.

Awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by xCWolf:
1997Soarer (01-20-19), ThomasGS4 (12-10-18)
Old 12-11-18, 05:40 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Couple of interesting tidbits there:

"Thinner front-seatbacks and thinner, less-cushioned rear seat backs might provide the space needed for added leg room."

I've often thought the same thing about the front seats being needlessly full-profiled.

"If there`s a problem with the interior, it`s that the seats reek of real leather. The aroma is overwhelming. Take an antihistamine with you."

Hmm. It's no secret that I don't think highly of the quality of leather used by Lexus early on, requiring extreme care to age average gracefully. But, maybe my criticism is misdirected and the problem is that they used too good and natural of leather? They just didn't have a grasp on preserving it...

"There are no squeaks or rattles in corners or turns, and almost no body lean or roll."

Don't get me wrong, I love the stock suspension, but how low were their standards back then for body lean and roll?! What were they in the habit of, taking hard corners in a swimming pool?

"Seat side bolsters help hold you in place in the tightest maneuvers at speed."

Huh? The stock seats are super comfortable, but largely devoid of bolsters.

"We drove the SC400 with traction control turned on and off. The roads were dry, but even on clear pavement, the coupe seemed to bite the concrete a bit more in hard acceleration coming out of the corners or turns when the traction control was turned on."

I hate to say it, but that makes the reviewer look like they're searching for justifications for good things to say. Clearly, they don't understand how rudimentary the traction control was back then, having only two modes: normal operation and reduced power. It wouldn't affect grip in cornering like described.

"The SC400 also has a driver-side air bag as standard. It`s a clever system in that Lexus was able to incorporate the bag in the steering wheel hub, yet offer tilt and telescoping wheel."

I didn't realize that was a novelty, but then, a lot of vehicles didn't get an airbag for another year or two.

"Specially designed Goodyear Eagle GSD 16-inch tires, versus 15-inch tires on the LS400-plus larger brakes than the LS400."

That one's ironic with the benefit of hindsight...

"Most notable annoyance is that when you pop the hood release, the opening is too thin and you`ll pinch your fingers hunting for the second release lever."

Of all the things to complain about, they pick one that has never once bothered me. Between that and the "seat bolsters" comment, I'm guessing the reviewer was quite large in the waistline and hands.

"Lexus officials say they don`t expect the tax to hinder sales because the 4-liter engine is rated at 18 m.p.g. city and 23 m.p.g. highway, escaping a $1,000 federal gas guzzler tax by 0.7 m.p.g. city/ highway combined. Lexus officials promise the SC300 with its smaller engine will obtain considerably better mileage than the SC400."

Double oops! 1 mpg isn't considerably better.

"J. Davis Illingworth, group vice president of Lexus, said that though all his cars will offer driver-side air bags this fall, passenger-side bags won`t be added until the mid-`90s."

It only took them a year instead of ~3. I wonder what sped up the process so much?