SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Are SC prices going up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 08:00 PM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

i have my 1999 sc400... i mean people around here in texas say i can easily get 6k for mines

The following users liked this post:
acacg (08-21-18)
Old 08-16-18, 07:00 AM
edcvin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez that is very clean and you have a great Toyota heritage color (Renaissance Red). How many miles and owners? Any accidents? The pictures definitely show a car that is worth $6k+.
Old 08-16-18, 01:02 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Crypto79
I suspect people are conflating collector values (unestablished) and used car values. Show me an unmolested late model sc400 or 5 speed with less than 50k mike for Under 10k$. Hell I might buy it

I seriously doubt anyone can find one. On the flip side there simply isn’t enough collector interest or enough survivors to spur a collectors market where the used up cars are bought up, improved and flipped which is how price precedents and two-way markets are established. Because of that cars are junked and supply continues to constrict to a point where soon or later demand will outpace supply and prices will rise across the board just being an SC. That clearly hasn’t happened yet but they are getting rarer.

i am tracking 4 transactions north of 10k in the past couple of years for two incredibly low miles 5speed (a 92 green, 97 desert quartz) my low miles 97 5 speed with recent and pricy add ons and a low miles 99 sc400. I am sure there might be a couple more but at least that shows that people will jump for survivors.

a green '97 5spd sold at a dealership recently; it was listed at under $9K with 69K miles, along with a black/black '97 5spd with 59K miles that was listed on CL for $13K.. unsure on final sale prices for both
Old 08-18-18, 01:50 PM
JRD1957
Driver School Candidate

Question Estimated Value

This seems like an appropriate place to ask this question. What would you value this car?

1995 Lexus SC 400
Sandstone beige

Less than 108,000 miles
Daily Driver | Garaged

Mods/Upgrades:

18" Niche Misano M116 Wheels (staggered)
Hankook Ventus Tires: 235/40 | 265/40 -Transferable Warranty from Discount Tire
Gorilla Black Lug Kit w/ Lock Key

Pioneer Head unit AVH-4000NEX; JL Audio speakers and amp; Pioneer Sub
License Plate Frame Rear View Backup Camera
Replaced Radio Antenna; Added Kill switch
Removed old Built-in Phone Antenna

Tannin Cluster upgrade (Blue w/white needle)
Alternator upgraded to 225 amps
Tanabe Exhaust
Injen Air Intake
BC Coilovers
OEM Head Lights upgraded to Halos w/LED turn signals
OEM Fog Lights upgraded to HID
JDM Rain Guard Visors (Rare item)
SuperPro Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushing Set
X2 Power Premium AGM Battery

Full Maintenance Records

Recent Repairs:

Replaced power steering pump/rack/return line/pressure switch/gaskets/hoses
Replaced timing belt, cam/crank seals, power steering pressure hoses, complete front brake service
Recharged A/C system
Replaced Timing Covers
Replaced Radiator/Hoses/Thermostat
Replaced Outside Rearview Mirror ECU
Rain-X windshield wipers
Replaced door window seals
Passed State Inspection

Original Equipment Included:

16" Wheels and tires
Headlights
Nakamichi Head Unit
12-Disk trunk CD Changer
Leather Bound Owner’s Manual

Carfax Report: Clean

Interior is in good shape overall. Drivers seat is showing normal wear and tear, and there’s the usual crack in the A/C front vent molding.
Exterior has a few minor dings and pings; a few scratches.

Thanx.

JD

Tanabe Exhaust

Tannin custom cluster

Blackened Trim-1

Blackened Trim -2

Just detailed

Lights off...

Lights on...
Old 08-18-18, 06:24 PM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by edcvin
Geez that is very clean and you have a great Toyota heritage color (Renaissance Red). How many miles and owners? Any accidents? The pictures definitely show a car that is worth $6k+.
im the 3rd owner.. first owner was an old lady... she had pass car sat for years...garage kept

second owner was a good friend of my brother in law.. had the car.. barely drove it.. garage kept... sold it to me because he was going through a divorce needed money because his mom was coming into the states...

as for me garage kept.. only drive on sunny days...its always in the garage rarely see sunlight or rain or any harsh weather...

1999 SC400 with 140k miles.. no accident on car fax... had the car for 4 months i maybe put 1k miles on it

how she sits now.. im currently installing air... got some temporary wheels on.. a little mod here and there..

Last edited by Anion; 08-18-18 at 06:27 PM. Reason: adding pics..
acacg (08-21-18)
Old 08-20-18, 06:36 AM
edcvin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JRD1957
This seems like an appropriate place to ask this question. What would you value this car?

1995 Lexus SC 400
Sandstone beige

Less than 108,000 miles
Daily Driver | Garaged

Mods/Upgrades:

18" Niche Misano M116 Wheels (staggered)
Hankook Ventus Tires: 235/40 | 265/40 -Transferable Warranty from Discount Tire
Gorilla Black Lug Kit w/ Lock Key

Pioneer Head unit AVH-4000NEX; JL Audio speakers and amp; Pioneer Sub
License Plate Frame Rear View Backup Camera
Replaced Radio Antenna; Added Kill switch
Removed old Built-in Phone Antenna

Tannin Cluster upgrade (Blue w/white needle)
Alternator upgraded to 225 amps
Tanabe Exhaust
Injen Air Intake
BC Coilovers
OEM Head Lights upgraded to Halos w/LED turn signals
OEM Fog Lights upgraded to HID
JDM Rain Guard Visors (Rare item)
SuperPro Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushing Set
X2 Power Premium AGM Battery

Full Maintenance Records

Recent Repairs:

Replaced power steering pump/rack/return line/pressure switch/gaskets/hoses
Replaced timing belt, cam/crank seals, power steering pressure hoses, complete front brake service
Recharged A/C system
Replaced Timing Covers
Replaced Radiator/Hoses/Thermostat
Replaced Outside Rearview Mirror ECU
Rain-X windshield wipers
Replaced door window seals
Passed State Inspection

Original Equipment Included:

16" Wheels and tires
Headlights
Nakamichi Head Unit
12-Disk trunk CD Changer
Leather Bound Owner’s Manual

Carfax Report: Clean

Interior is in good shape overall. Drivers seat is showing normal wear and tear, and there’s the usual crack in the A/C front vent molding.
Exterior has a few minor dings and pings; a few scratches.

Thanx.

JD

Tanabe Exhaust

Tannin custom cluster

Blackened Trim-1

Blackened Trim -2

Just detailed

Lights off...

Lights on...
Pricing modified cars is a funny thing because it comes down to how much the mods are really worth to you as a buyer. In many cases, it means much more to the seller as they invested in the new equipment and installation. The buyer can value those mods at 0 - 50% of that value depending on their preference. With that in mind, depending upon how clean this car is I would value somewhere in the $3500 - $4,000 range. Here is my logic:
1. Not a 97+
2. Not a super desirable color
3. Maintenance is a huge plus
4. Mods are not desirable to me. I would prefer this car in stock format.

Again, it really depends on how much the mods mean to you. Just my opinion. Good luck!

-Vinnie
Old 08-20-18, 06:37 AM
edcvin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Anion
im the 3rd owner.. first owner was an old lady... she had pass car sat for years...garage kept

second owner was a good friend of my brother in law.. had the car.. barely drove it.. garage kept... sold it to me because he was going through a divorce needed money because his mom was coming into the states...

as for me garage kept.. only drive on sunny days...its always in the garage rarely see sunlight or rain or any harsh weather...

1999 SC400 with 140k miles.. no accident on car fax... had the car for 4 months i maybe put 1k miles on it

how she sits now.. im currently installing air... got some temporary wheels on.. a little mod here and there..

Thats awesome! I cannot wait to see it come together. I will start working on mine soon as well.
Old 08-20-18, 09:32 AM
SCDual
Driver School Candidate

My friend just bought a SC300 for 250 dollars
Old 08-21-18, 06:22 PM
acacg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold mine for 4500. 97 SC400 factory pearl white factory black interior. I was the second owner with 246k miles. Original interior with typical driver seat rips and original paint. I already miss it and regret it.
Old 08-22-18, 10:53 AM
SCDual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by acacg
I sold mine for 4500. 97 SC400 factory pearl white factory black interior. I was the second owner with 246k miles. Original interior with typical driver seat rips and original paint. I already miss it and regret it.
My first car was a SC300 coupe. And I let it go Becuz of a bad accident. I’m lucky enough to have gotten a Sc400 now. I’m older. But sometime I wish I would have gotten 300 manual so that I could turbo swap it. But it’s all good. The 400 is fine with me. I would like more power. But eventually I’m planning on rebuilding the car completely and seeing what this car has to offer before I do a motor swap.

But these cars great great I could never ask for anything better. Plus all the great comments on my car 👍
Old 08-22-18, 10:54 AM
SCDual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edcvin
Thats awesome! I cannot wait to see it come together. I will start working on mine soon as well.
that car looks amazing
Old 08-22-18, 02:15 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

I sold my '96 SC4 couple (white on tan interior) with 72k for $8,000 locally in Denver a few years back. Lightly modded, sounded glorious, and I very much regret selling it (despite the E36 M3 that followed). Like many have said, it greatly depends on mileage, service, condition, and what another person is willing to pay. Guys like us how have a great fondness and appreciation for these cars will always be willing to pay a pretty penny for them. Well, at least I know I would.
Old 09-03-18, 09:07 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Not now and not ever. It's an excellent car, but nothing special and will continue to rust into oblivion with the rest of the cars that didn't change the world. "Ain't no Supra". It is, if anything, honorable mention by association to the real hero.....afore mentioned.
Uhhhh, I wouldn’t be so certain about “didn’t change the world”. According to what I’ve read, the SC actually did just that. It was supposedly the first production car to not only have a fluidic, rounded body style for better aero, while other cars were still typically boxy; it was also the first one to have High and Low Beams in separate housings (separate lights altogether). After that, Mercedes and other brands began to copy the style ... But the Lexus SC was the daddy of them all.

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure this is accurate. I think it was a classic Lexus documentary I saw online; I don’t remember exactly.

Anyway, the SC deserves more credit than your post, and most people in general actually give it. We all know it’s special car; more than because we own one.
Ezroni (09-11-18)
Old 09-04-18, 03:15 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Original 5MT Soarer prices in Japan have been steadily increasing the past few years. I once had thoughts of importing a newer example and selling mine to a US customer once legal, but looking at the market now, I'll hold on to what I have!
Old 09-04-18, 09:08 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The SC was not at all the first car to have separate housings for high and low beams. Many cars had setups this for decades. The '67 Shelby Mustangs had such a setup for instance as did Lamborghini Espadas, Countachs, '68 Mercury Cougar, '68 Dodge Charger and numerous cars throughout the late 60's and throughout the 1970's. It was definitely the first Lexus to have adopted such a design. I believe it is the late 90's GS/Aristo was the last Lexus to use separate housings for high and low beams.

To my knowledge no other car since has taken direct inspiration from how it was done on this model though.

The original SC/Soarer Z30 design studies originally were intended to have the high and low beams in one housing. Packaging challenges led the engineers and design team to make them separate and inboard late in development. Since release it's one of the defining style characteristics of this car.

The impact of the overall shape when it was new though absolutely had an impact on the market. It was something very bold and unique back in 1991.

Quick Reply: Are SC prices going up?