SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

interior door handle broke

Old 07-07-18, 08:30 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default interior door handle broke

the lever snapped at the inside door handle. I can still grab whats left with my finger and get out but need a replacement. Are the 94 Camrys the same shape or close enough to work? I would take the lever only out of the Camry housing and transplant it in the SC housing. It developed a crack over a very hot weekend and just broke in my hand. Anyone parting one out?
Old 07-08-18, 01:26 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

No, those won't work. I've replaced interior door handle assemblies on a 1994 Camry before and they're not even close to an SC's design. Plus, if you buy one of the many aftermarket 92-96 Camry handle assemblies you'll find that anything other than OEM handles for that car are complete junk.

There have been some successful handle transplants from another makes into our handle assemblies though. A metal handle that sort of came close but wasn't a total match. I don't know the thread link but this was done in the last 5-6 years. A lot of work was involved. Better to just get another OEM SC/Soarer interior door handle if you want the cheapest and easiest fix.

Edit: Here's that thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...r-handles.html

But still the easiest and most painless fix is just to get another SC interior handle assembly.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-08-18 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-08-18, 06:10 AM
xCWolf
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah you can get them fairly cheap on eBay, about $30 each. When I got my SC both were broken so I got them on eBay
Old 07-08-18, 11:12 AM
SCDual
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You in California?? I got two for you
Old 07-08-18, 06:06 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SCDual
You in California?? I got two for you
Yup, that would be great! Turns out the passenger side is cracked too!

I found that the 93ish (wish I noted the year!) Camry handle is close enough to work in the SC frame:
I ground the head off the pin and pulled it out to release the SC's broken lever. I ground flat the top of the Camry lever (had a raised boss on top) and slid it in for a snug fit. I took the SC spring and wedged it in there and found that the camry lever had no pin locator slot so I cut one with a hack saw blade to locate the return spring tang. I also hammered the other 90 tang end flat to gain 2mm so it would hook the SC frame again as it sits a little different in the camry lever. The Camry lever has a larger pin boss and smaller cable ferule (opposite the SC) so I drilled out the ferule hole, not much I could do with the larger pin hole so its a little sloppy but the spring helps to locater everything. I put the new handle in, wedged the spring in, and pushed the pin back in and set the end with a hammer and some super glue. Its a tight fit without the glue so it should hold up. Everything pivots nicely against the spring tension. After I put the SC plastic frame on it, I noticed it was binding on the bottom so I ground about 1mm off the bottom where it was rubbing. I put it all back together and the darn thing works like the original, just wrong color scheme! So in a pinch, it can be done until your proper replacement can be sent in the mail.

This is new lever from 93 Camry? The top of the Camry handle needs to be ground flat. The spring end needed to be flattened, and a new slot needed to be cut into camry handle as well as the cable ferule drilled to SC size/

This is how it looks together, bottom needs to be clearanced to SC frame after you assemble it. This may not be needed if you grind the top a bit more than I did.

The pin end needs to be ground off and removed to get new handle installed. Set it back in hole with a hammer and glue or tack it.

finished transplant, sits a little deeper as the SC stop has no place on the camry lever.

lock functions with button

pulls out properly and pops the door.
The following users liked this post:
Bonapartis (07-26-18)
Old 07-08-18, 09:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ Mind blown I stand corrected. I looked at them both a while back and didn't see enough similarities. Though the non-OEM Camry handles I still wouldn't recommend on the basis of plastic quality of most vs the factory plastic Camry handles. But the design basically fits... amazing!
Old 07-11-18, 05:39 PM
pishta
Pit Crew

No prob Kahn, I had the year wrong: I think I nailed down the donor year, 1998 Camry with the plastic frame as I remember prying the plastic clip off the bottom to get the handle out.