SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Want extra cupholders? Check my cool and easy modification.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 09:58 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want extra cupholders? Check my cool and easy modification.

I decided that I am completely broke due to my garage being wiped out by the tornado this past fall and losing my IS300 to the damage, thus not even being able to spend money on the cup holders in the center console (flat surface flip lid is broken as well.

So, I went junk yard hunting for a Toyota model dual cup holder to install under my cd player. Well, I found one, but it didn't go in the center console because of size constraints (too small).

PARTS/TOOLS REQUIRED:

--Mid-1990's Toyota Camry dual pull out cupholder (mine was a blue 1996 year)
--Duplicolor Vinyl rattle can (black color)--some holders may not be your desired color.
--LocTite epoxy mixing cup (or JB weld) for extra protection.
--Cordless drill with drilling bit.
--Phillips screw driver
--TWO black wood screws
--A few minutes of time (Discussed in a bit)

PROCEDURE:

1.) Remove glove box contents.
2.) Paint the cup holder black with the vinyl dye. Apply several thin coats, using a small heat gun IMMEDIATELY after each coat so the paint sets properly and has no flaws. A scrap booking heat gun works well too (what I used). Let dry for 20 minutes
3.) Mix LocTite expoxy until it is appropriate color. Apply four modest lines on the TOP of the cup holder. This allows a slightly flexible mounting that is secure enough to mount screws too. After applying epoxy, hold cup holder in place (friend or relative help recommended for holding) and drill two holes in the ceiling of the glove box through the cup holder's original holes meant to hold together the assembly. Then, place screws in holes and use your screw driver to SLOWLY drive them into a secure amount.
4.) Keep hold of the bottom of the cup holder with pressure toward the ceiling of the glove box for about ten minutes (constant pressure). This allows the epoxy to set and become hard enough for its own weight.

**Before use, allow two hours or so for complete drying/curing time**

TOTAL TIME: +/- 45 minutes depending on patience, attention level, and skill.

TOTAL COST: Five to ten dollars if you have/don't have paint and epoxy. I had the paint and epoxy laying around and was given the cup holder for free because the old guy at the junk yard counter likes me. Some of you might be dishonest and pocket the cup holder...lol I can bet you won't spend more than $15-$20 depending on the cost of the holder at the yard. Mine would have only cost five bucks, but hey why not use my connections to my advantage?

-It took me about an hour and a half to complete the mounting process because I waited for paint to dry and played with my canine friend counterpart (AKA dog) for a while too. I tend to dink around while working on my cars.

Here is the result in pictures:

Prior to installation:

Installed but closed:

Open with drink!:

Open side shot without drink:

Its very sturdy and supportive of drinks that fit in there. Drinks that don't work well are ones that are large sized from fast food places. Soda cans, energy drinks, water bottles, etc fit the best and work well.

And YES, your owners manual and other components can still fit under the cup holder without interfering with the opening and closing of the holder itself or the glove box door. I even have a few other things under my owners manual vinyl book, including my Enkei center cap tool, tuner lug key, a few air fresheners in their packaging and a small screw driver.

Obviously, the cup holder must be used while the glove box door is open, however, its not a problem when driving. I mainly installed it for when I have passengers or extra drinks on fast food runs for home guests or relatives, or if I'm really thirsty! Mainly, and I'm sure most of you fall into this catagory, you drive alone and use the main OEM holders, but hey....this works well and can't tell it was aftermarket.

You can even take the LEXUS script badge from atop the SC400 engine and put it on the holder lid for an extra touch (I DID NOT but contemplated it.)

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by VJZ; 03-27-08 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-27-08, 09:58 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Pictures are small--sorry--Working on that later today.
Old 03-27-08, 10:00 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not bad...
Old 03-27-08, 10:04 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

My camera washes out black stuff on cars, everything is much darker and OEM looking with my Canon or in person.
Old 03-27-08, 10:34 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

not bad at all...
Old 03-27-08, 10:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

nice mod, actually looks very clean.
a little overkill though cause the SC has 2 cup-holders up front already.
not to mention I can hardly fit the owners manual in the glove box as it is.
Old 03-27-08, 12:31 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OooooOOooo, that's a cool little mod. I was thinking of just attaching some Plastic rings to the door of the glove box and use that as cupholders. All that'll require is some PVC pipes, paint it black, and some good adhesive. But yours would look wayy better!
Old 03-27-08, 12:37 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i approve
Old 03-27-08, 12:46 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I don't have a ton of stuff in my glove box.

Plus, I do not have the flip out cup holder by the climate control. I just have the cubby, so in theory, my car has one cup holder before adding this.

And like I said, its kind of a back up thing. My tools that I keep in there fit nicely on the sides. I even put my tire pressure gauge in there this morning before work.
Old 03-27-08, 01:42 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

not bad..a pretty useful mod. but if you were to have stuff in there and have drink..then the stuff in there would fly around..but a good idea nonetheless...and yea..pictures are a bit small. would be better if they were bigger so we could see them better
Old 03-27-08, 04:20 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very good, I always thought lexus skimpped on our cupholders.
Old 03-27-08, 04:52 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very creative!
Old 03-27-08, 05:19 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty cool, but I wouldn't want my glovebox lid hanging there while driving. Great if your car is parked at a drive-in or makeout spot.
Old 03-27-08, 05:32 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Innovative
Old 03-27-08, 06:25 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i like it..

how big of a cup can you use with these? I can't even fit a water bottle in the one behind the shifter.

Quick Reply: Want extra cupholders? Check my cool and easy modification.