SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Truth About Cars *speculates* (opinion article only) about a new SC300

Old 04-18-18, 07:02 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts
Default The Truth About Cars *speculates* (opinion article only) about a new SC300

Extremely unlikely and would require the RC to be retired at the very least for there to be room in the lineup but it's a nice thing on their part to make an article citing the 1992-2000 SC's relevance as Toyota gears up to release a new Supra.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...w-lexus-sc300/
Old 04-18-18, 07:07 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

When the Supra passed away the SC would live on. It continued alongside the Japanese market Toyota Soarer through the end of the 2000s, when it was replaced by the California-designed soap bar SC430 for 2001. A favorite of wealthy older women and nobody else, the SC430 fizzled out after 2010.
This cracked me up reading that article. Can't say I disagree with the author on that. Only good thing about that car was the 3UZ.
Old 04-18-18, 08:04 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

it would be something to get the SC come back but i honestly think the LC500 is the spiritual successor of the SC300/400. The SC was always about clean lines and subtle design which doesnt fit the current design direction that lexus is going. Not that its bad, it just doesnt work with the line up and i dont know how i would feel about them making a slightly modified RC and calling it the new SC.
I would much rather Lexus focused on the horrific infotainment system in the new cars. They need to ditch that touch pad and go back to touch screen or go the dial rout or something. I dont want to feel like im using a laptop when driving a car. It will take me a while before i can afford to buy an LC so maybe by the time im able to get one, they would have fixed this issue.
Old 04-19-18, 07:51 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Eh... the new "Supra" isn't even a Toyota. A lot of Supra guys are really disappointed that they're not getting a more aggressive LC500 with a TT V6 engine. They view the LC as the car the new Supra should be based off of.
The following users liked this post:
97-SC300 (04-19-18)
Old 04-20-18, 01:56 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Excuse me for getting the "soap box" out and providing an opinion on this (some of which has been previously appeared in the LC500 section).....

The RC introduction was a disappointment and IMO took up a "slot" in the Lexus lineup later filled by the LC (which was disappointing that they did not retain the SC designation), The LC, while a wonderful look, is priced too high and does not deliver on the performance expectations that many had and does not contend that well with cars it gets compared; would I like to have one - for sure - but not at the price point when new. A back from lease is a possibility.....

The article does propose an interesting possibility but one that Toyota/Lexus will never implement. The new "Supra" will stay a Toyota and a Lexus version would only be competition where it is not needed. Hard to imagine a coupe will be introduced along side of the RC or LC.
Old 04-28-18, 12:55 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been very critical of Toyota for getting away from what made the 90s Lexus models so great. With the LC500 they got it completely right. The LC line is probably a major loss leader for them since they sell so few and so much of the car does not share parts with other high volume models. You have to appreciate when a car like this is offered to the public.

IDK much about the next Supra but I feel they will ruin it like the Honda did the NSX by packing too much tech into it and forgetting that the #1 purpose the car should be made for is the pleasure the driver gets from operating the car. The 90s NSX and Surpa did not have hybrid systems, navigation, screens of any kind, bluetooth, etc...that was the special thing about them. Backup cameras are now required in all new cars but besides than one thing at least one manufacturer should make a car just about the driving experience and delete all of the extra tech.
Old 04-28-18, 01:55 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ From all I've learned in the last year this is actually a major design goal for them: to try their best to make the MKV come as close as they can to what made the MKIV great with the chassis base they're starting from. They've stated they aren't building to Nurburgring lap times, nor are they directly going after the R35 GTR's numbers. Tetsuya Tada has said he wants it to be a competitive race car chassis but also fun, engaging and tune-able in street trim. The interior I'd expect to be simple and driver-focused in the same way (but not the same style) the GT86 interior is just about driving with minimal touchscreen interference.

The insanely overbuilt quality of the 2JZ won't be repeated because according to Tada, Toyota engineers in the early 90's only achieved that as a byproduct of trying to make the engine extremely reliable. But this Toyota version of the BMW engine is supposed to be tune-friendly out of the box. Latest is that it might be rated at about 450bhp in stock form.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Toyota D4S port-and-direct injection system were included.

It's RWD only, has a mechanical LSD or torque vectoring LSD. The one major thing that I do not like as currently stands is that they are on the fence about offering a SUPRA with a manual transmission option. Not a Camry or a Highlander... but a Supra. That this is even being questioned (by the Toyota brass, not Tetsuya Tada) for this car is idiotic. That alone would make me look to a GT350, M2 Competition or ATS-V all of which offer manual transmissions. It's been developed with a dual clutch transmission at this point. That's great and way better than a conventional automatic but... it doesn't offer the same engaging fun of a three-pedal manual transmission.

What's annoying about it is that a suitable manual gearbox does exist for the BMW I6-TT engine already. It's not that they CAN'T do it. It's that they seem to have a cost estimate of $500M to R&D that transmission to work with the new Toyota Safety System which it has been decided will be included on ALL new Toyotas going forward. And even the new Corolla hatchback got a brand new manual transmission integrated with TSS for American consumption.

The chief designer wants a manual in the Supra but he does not have final say. And yet it isn't set in stone yet despite reports to the contrary because the car is still in late development. It's just unlikely that a manual will be offered in the new Supra unless a lot of people contact Toyota corporate to express their concern about this... which Toyota might listen to. There is also an online petition for this going around.

Although Texan, I agree with you both on the LC500 being a great hit and right on the money for what it's supposed to be. Also to your sentiment of any manufacturer making at least one pure driver-oriented high performance car that is *fun* and engaging in addition to being fast. There are plenty of auto-only Lexus high performance cars to choose from if no manual is desired.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-28-18 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-28-18, 12:40 PM
Mephobia
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its fun to dream

I always wished they did a limited run of an SC with today's technology, " The way god intended". Minor exterior and major interior upgrades; Like a supercharged SC400 1UZ with paddle shifters and a LSD. And/or an SC300 2jzgte on an AWD platform paddles standard with a 6 speed Getrag option. When I hit the Powerball i'll post pics.
Old 04-29-18, 07:15 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mephobia
I always wished they did a limited run of an SC with today's technology, " The way god intended". Minor exterior and major interior upgrades; Like a supercharged SC400 1UZ with paddle shifters and a LSD. And/or an SC300 2jzgte on an AWD platform paddles standard with a 6 speed Getrag option. When I hit the Powerball i'll post pics.
If they did a reboot of the first gen SC it should have the 3UZ engine, smart key, park sensors, blind spot monitoring, LED headlights, 2 piston brakes in rear/6 piston in front (all fixed), and replace that stupid clamp on the heater core valve with a standard clamp. That's all I would change on the first gen SC using today's technology. I would not go past the 3UZ for engine tech so it stays DIY friendly.
Old 04-29-18, 07:23 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ From all I've learned in the last year this is actually a major design goal for them: to try their best to make the MKV come as close as they can to what made the MKIV great with the chassis base they're starting from. They've stated they aren't building to Nurburgring lap times, nor are they directly going after the R35 GTR's numbers. Tetsuya Tada has said he wants it to be a competitive race car chassis but also fun, engaging and tune-able in street trim. The interior I'd expect to be simple and driver-focused in the same way (but not the same style) the GT86 interior is just about driving with minimal touchscreen interference.

The insanely overbuilt quality of the 2JZ won't be repeated because according to Tada, Toyota engineers in the early 90's only achieved that as a byproduct of trying to make the engine extremely reliable. But this Toyota version of the BMW engine is supposed to be tune-friendly out of the box. Latest is that it might be rated at about 450bhp in stock form.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Toyota D4S port-and-direct injection system were included.

It's RWD only, has a mechanical LSD or torque vectoring LSD. The one major thing that I do not like as currently stands is that they are on the fence about offering a SUPRA with a manual transmission option. Not a Camry or a Highlander... but a Supra. That this is even being questioned (by the Toyota brass, not Tetsuya Tada) for this car is idiotic. That alone would make me look to a GT350, M2 Competition or ATS-V all of which offer manual transmissions. It's been developed with a dual clutch transmission at this point. That's great and way better than a conventional automatic but... it doesn't offer the same engaging fun of a three-pedal manual transmission.

What's annoying about it is that a suitable manual gearbox does exist for the BMW I6-TT engine already. It's not that they CAN'T do it. It's that they seem to have a cost estimate of $500M to R&D that transmission to work with the new Toyota Safety System which it has been decided will be included on ALL new Toyotas going forward. And even the new Corolla hatchback got a brand new manual transmission integrated with TSS for American consumption.

The chief designer wants a manual in the Supra but he does not have final say. And yet it isn't set in stone yet despite reports to the contrary because the car is still in late development. It's just unlikely that a manual will be offered in the new Supra unless a lot of people contact Toyota corporate to express their concern about this... which Toyota might listen to. There is also an online petition for this going around.

Although Texan, I agree with you both on the LC500 being a great hit and right on the money for what it's supposed to be. Also to your sentiment of any manufacturer making at least one pure driver-oriented high performance car that is *fun* and engaging in addition to being fast. There are plenty of auto-only Lexus high performance cars to choose from if no manual is desired.
Good info...thanks for posting.

Although they ill never do it now Toyota could have just used the LFA body and put in a drivetrain that was not exotic at all. Something with a twin turbo V8 and RWD with only a standard 6 speed manual fully optioned to the max topping out around $100Kish and it could have been the Supra. There is really nothing exotic and expensive about the body of that car if it is constructed of the same stamped steel the 90s Surpa was made of.

The halo car purpose of the LFA to be what the 2000GT was and create excitement about the brand was a success but it sacrificed a really nice design we will never see in production again. They really should have set achieving BMW M6 performance as the goal and kept the price thousands lower than the M6 with the LFA style Supra. Too bad that Surpa will never exist because the LFA already does.