ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   How to get a loan for an imported car (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/882693-how-to-get-a-loan-for-an-imported-car.html)

mattro2 03-06-18 03:26 PM

How to get a loan for an imported car

Hey i just wanted to make this post for people who are considering buying a car that was imported from another country and the importation process is already been done.

I just went through most of this today it does take a little bit of doing it's not something you can do immediately.

my bank is USAA (military) who I'm going through for insurance and for Lending

the first thing you need to determine is if the car you're purchasing has a JDM Vin or a 17 digit us Vin this makes a difference because when they go to run that VIN they won't be able to find a value for the car if it is a JDM vin.

if the car your purchasing has a usdm VIN your process is probably going to go very simply and I can't help you with that because I have no experience with it.

if you have a JDM Vin you have to have the car appraised. it usually cost around $200 and your Bank is also going to need a declaration from the dealer stating the car is exempt from the 17 digit Vin because it is over 25 years old. EPA FORM 3520-1 and HS-7 from the NHTSA

I would do all of this and talk to them and make sure they can even give you a loan for that vehicle before you get approved for the loan because getting approved for loans hits your credit.

I will update as i finish the process.

update 1: added the form numbers

Kira X 03-08-18 08:22 AM

Thank you for this post. I am looking at getting a RHD Supra or NSX since USDM models are so beat up. This will help me get the car financed.

empringham 03-09-18 09:22 PM

A few thoughts come to mind. I am in Canada so it may be different.

I am assuming if the car is being imported, the vehicle is probably right hand drive. In Canada it is near impossible to find an insurance company that will offer you full coverage ( Collision and comprehensive coverage) on this vehicle. They are however required by law to offer you PLPD due to the all comers rule. Of course, this would be the the legal minimum to be on the road, and no physical damage coverage will be on the car.

It is also worth while to mention that if there is a loan on a vehicle your lender will require full coverage on the vehicle at all times. This clearly will not work on a right hand drive vehicle. As far as the VIN goes, you will probably have to provide a photo of the VIN plate for the insurance company to confirm the digits, and if its under 17 digits ( Very possible, I have never seen a non- north american car with a 17 digit VIN plate) then they will require you to get the car appraised, and they will insure the unit up to that value.

Please let us know what you find. Good luck.

97-SC300 03-10-18 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kira X (Post 10136098)
Thank you for this post. I am looking at getting a RHD Supra or NSX since USDM models are so beat up. This will help me get the car financed.

Supras and NSX are beat up? What planet are you living on?

SCs and 240s are beat up.

Most Supras and NSX will never see a rain storm in the US and are the definition of garage queens/collectible cars/ and extremely overpriced due to popularity and rarity.

If anything at all is appealing about a RHD NSX or Supra would be the lower selling price.

Kira X 03-10-18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 97-SC300 (Post 10138219)
Supras and NSX are beat up? What planet are you living on?

SCs and 240s are beat up.

Most Supras and NSX will never see a rain storm in the US and are the definition of garage queens/collectible cars/ and extremely overpriced due to popularity and rarity.

If anything at all is appealing about a RHD NSX or Supra would be the lower selling price.

The lower priced ones are pretty bad. I've seen a few locally and in neighboring cities that were pretty beat up or had been wrecked going for $30,000+. I've seen a few Supras with seven to ten owners and people still want $28,000 for an NA car.

Unless I were to spend $35,000 or more for either. Then usually they're in better shape. It's more of an issue with Supras than the NSX.

You are correct on the RHD cars being more appealing due to price. I've heard RHD NSX's are still pretty pricey but MKIV Supras were much cheaper a few years ago. The RHD Supras were typically in better shape for the price.

97-SC300 03-10-18 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kira X (Post 10138251)
The lower priced ones are pretty bad. I've seen a few locally and in neighboring cities that were pretty beat up or had been wrecked going for $30,000+. I've seen a few Supras with seven to ten owners and people still want $28,000 for an NA car.

Unless I were to spend $35,000 or more for either. Then usually they're in better shape. It's more of an issue with Supras than the NSX.

You are correct on the RHD cars being more appealing due to price. I've heard RHD NSX's are still pretty pricey but MKIV Supras were much cheaper a few years ago. The RHD Supras were typically in better shape for the price.

Your area must be VERY different than mine. Literally every NSX and Supra I have seen at any meet or show was either flawless or damn near close to it.

Now go to an SC meet or a 240sx meet and the difference is night and day.

mattro2 04-18-18 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by empringham (Post 10137878)
A few thoughts come to mind. I am in Canada so it may be different.

I am assuming if the car is being imported, the vehicle is probably right hand drive. In Canada it is near impossible to find an insurance company that will offer you full coverage ( Collision and comprehensive coverage) on this vehicle. They are however required by law to offer you PLPD due to the all comers rule. Of course, this would be the the legal minimum to be on the road, and no physical damage coverage will be on the car.

It is also worth while to mention that if there is a loan on a vehicle your lender will require full coverage on the vehicle at all times. This clearly will not work on a right hand drive vehicle. As far as the VIN goes, you will probably have to provide a photo of the VIN plate for the insurance company to confirm the digits, and if its under 17 digits ( Very possible, I have never seen a non- north american car with a 17 digit VIN plate) then they will require you to get the car appraised, and they will insure the unit up to that value.

Please let us know what you find. Good luck.

Ive already said you would need to get it appraised.

Update, car is on the road and all is well in the world.

gerrb 04-20-18 02:09 PM

JDM .. right hand drive ? ... nice ...

now start learning going through the drive through and paid parking lots in reverse , you will need it ;)

mattro2 04-23-18 02:17 PM

Done did that already. Good times.

Kira X 04-23-18 06:20 PM

Which car did you end up getting?

mattro2 04-28-19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kira X (Post 10180455)
Which car did you end up getting?

Jzz30 soarer lol

Kira X 04-29-19 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by mattro2 (Post 10504704)
Jzz30 soarer lol

Good choice! Do you have any pictures of it?

Shayy 04-29-19 08:19 PM

I got a personal loan for mine. Higher interest rates at 9.5% but I never let my loans last that long anyway.

When I had my car registered I told them to tag on some 0's to bypass the whole JDM VIN thing. Hope this helps someone!

Kira X 04-30-19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Shayy (Post 10505695)
I got a personal loan for mine. Higher interest rates at 9.5% but I never let my loans last that long anyway.

When I had my car registered I told them to tag on some 0's to bypass the whole JDM VIN thing. Hope this helps someone!

I considered doing that as well. It seems that now the RHD NA Supras are pretty overpriced now so I might look into a different car.