Newbie in the area - 92 400 Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 01:17 PM
danmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie in the area - 92 400 Black

Hey Guys!

Just picked up a 92 400 base, was looking online for references and found this formidable community.
Car looks in pretty good shape, the interior is really clean, and the black original paint looks great with some areas not that great. But for a 1992 is just beautiful.
Got all original stuff including owners Manuel, service manual vol 1 and 2,first aid kit, etc.

Not everything is perfect though..

I have blinking O/D light, Speedometer (and odometer) are not working.

CD Changer was disconnected because was draining the battery.

I was thinking, is it possible to upgrade the stereo to a Nakamishi unit? was just curious if it is worth it.

Anyway I am honored to be part of this select group of gentlemen with great taste in cars, and hope to contribute with a lot of pictures and videos in the future!
Old 04-06-19, 06:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Heya. Welcome. Search button for anything we have covered in the last 20 years, and monster sticky thread for FAQ’s will answer nearly anything. Have fun, look around.

We’ve done a LOT in 2 decades here, you’ll find anything you need. Enjoy your ride!
Old 04-06-19, 08:34 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Nice car! Really looks great.

Originally Posted by danmac
I was thinking, is it possible to upgrade the stereo to a Nakamishi unit?
It's definitely possible. If I remember correctly, you'll need the wiring harness (can be a PITA to change), headunit, Nak amp, Nak subwoofer, and Nak speakers to do it.

Unless you really like the Nakamichi system though, I wouldn't change out the Pioneer unit, which already sounds very comparable. Repairing Nakamichi units also seems to be quite difficult in comparison to the Pioneer ones when they fail, partially because they went bankrupt. Here's a thread regarding this topic for the LS:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...en-one-ls.html
Old 04-07-19, 09:42 AM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

welcome
Old 04-08-19, 08:40 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

That's in much better shape than most you'll see.

The speedo not working could just be burnt out LEDs in the needle (very common for that and the tach), although that wouldn't affect the odometer.

It would be less work, more satisfying, and probably less expensive to go Pioneer->aftermarket than it would be to go Pioneer->Nakamichi.
Old 04-08-19, 12:48 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

She's a beauty!
Old 04-16-19, 07:12 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

That's a beautiful SC. Congrats, OP!
Old 04-17-19, 01:31 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

Congratulations on the new car! It looks incredible. I wish I could find a second SC as clean as this.
Old 04-19-19, 10:58 AM
danmac
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys, thanks for the welcoming messages!

I had some time last weekend to work on the car and paperwork..This is a Minnesota car, I have all the original invoices from the first owner when he used to store the car for winter and pull out for summer and have it completely detailed. $300 detail service for 1992, 93, 94 etc was a lot of money! Anyways the car is clean now, alternator failed last week I had it replaced.
Regarding the Nakamishi swap, the car is in such a pristine state, I am not going to touch anything. The sound quality is amazing and really powerful I don't need extra.
But I am having some electrical issues. The other day the stereo failed when I put the right turn blinker on. Most of the time everything is perfect but my guess is something wrong with the grounding somewhere, specially blinkers. Even the AC suffers when turn blinkers on. all lights dim..
My guess is oxidation in connectors somewhere. Maybe swapping for led will save me some amps?
Old 04-19-19, 08:26 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Check for corrosion in the bulb sockets for the front and rear turn signals. Sometimes, the inner contacts of the socket or the bulb's contacts can melt and become bridged.

Also, check the trunk for any water. I wonder if the ground connectors for the rear turn signals are corroded. Probably not likely, considering your car's history.
Old 04-19-19, 09:02 PM
danmac
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Celcior will do that! Hope you are right. You still have your 1991 LS 400 ? Hope so lol. The wood on those were made by Yamaha piano factories I've heard.
Old 04-19-19, 09:18 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Thanks Celcior will do that! Hope you are right. You still have your 1991 LS 400 ? Hope so lol. The wood on those were made by Yamaha piano factories I've heard.
No problem. I hope so as well.

Yes, I still have my LS. I will add an SC to my garage some day.

You are correct about the Yamaha refinished wood trim. I may be wrong, but I believe the wood on other Lexus models was done by Yamaha as well, including the SC.
Old 04-21-19, 10:05 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The speed sensor on the trans is what would make the speedo and odo stop with 1 failure. Neither of mine worked when I got the car and neither did cruise control because the car didn't know how fast it was going which also makes the power steering more twitchy since it's at full assist and not variable by speed like designed... Easy to get to but fairly expensive I managed to get a good one at picknpull for $10. Check rockauto and ebay there are 2 slightly different ones that don't seem compatible so get yours in your hand to be sure you're getting the right one. Installing mine fixed CC and odometer but my speedo is stuck like many of them are and will need to be sent to Tanin at some point to get rebuilt and have new lighting and needles installed

Nice car dude and welcome to the community
Old 04-22-19, 05:59 AM
danmac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
The speed sensor on the trans is what would make the speedo and odo stop with 1 failure. Neither of mine worked when I got the car and neither did cruise control because the car didn't know how fast it was going which also makes the power steering more twitchy since it's at full assist and not variable by speed like designed... Easy to get to but fairly expensive I managed to get a good one at picknpull for $10. Check rockauto and ebay there are 2 slightly different ones that don't seem compatible so get yours in your hand to be sure you're getting the right one. Installing mine fixed CC and odometer but my speedo is stuck like many of them are and will need to be sent to Tanin at some point to get rebuilt and have new lighting and needles installed

Nice car dude and welcome to the community
Wow thanks for the reply Joe !!

Damn, I am driving my car around, specially in low speed and wondering why the steering wheel feels weird sometimes. I think you got it right there!

I will work on this fix this week, I got the Repair Manual and will look for the VSS, is it hard to remove?? What is your experience with this, you replaced the sensor yourself?

My Speedo doesn't seem to be stuck because it sort of moves when I start the car. Other than that, the cluster is perfect.. all lights work.
Old 04-23-19, 01:56 AM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow thanks for the reply Joe !!

Damn, I am driving my car around, specially in low speed and wondering why the steering wheel feels weird sometimes. I think you got it right there!

I will work on this fix this week, I got the Repair Manual and will look for the VSS, is it hard to remove?? What is your experience with this, you replaced the sensor yourself?

My Speedo doesn't seem to be stuck because it sort of moves when I start the car. Other than that, the cluster is perfect.. all lights work.
It is easy to remove just one bolt holding it in place. The o-ring on mine was holding it a bit but a bit of a twist and pull and it popped out. I replaced it with one from picknpull but this is what they look like. It will be way near the back of the trans and I believe on the driver side but I may be wrong it's been a bit.

Mine was the type on the bottom.. shop around rockauto is usually cheaper than most places i check but 206 seems crazy high for that tiny part my used one was -$10 and works. Maybe check eBay?

Quick Reply: Newbie in the area - 92 400 Black