ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   Sc400 first car (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/881893-sc400-first-car.html)

Vince31501 02-26-18 05:35 PM

Sc400 first car

Bought a sc400 I'm turning 17 in two weeks. love the car so much. 94 I am the third owner but the second owner never drove it. it has 137,000 miles which I don't think is bad for that year. I really wanna keep it stock its that dark green color and I figured the cars too nice to do anything wrong to it as I'm 17 and i know how 17-year-olds rice out cars and such. i just wanna know if there's anything you guys recommend me to do I thought about a sub like done right not just a box in the trunk but let me know what you guys think id really appreciate it.

- V - 02-26-18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vince31501 (Post 10125732)
Bought a sc400 I'm turning 17 in two weeks. love the car so much. 94 I am the third owner but the second owner never drove it. it has 137,000 miles which I don't think is bad for that year. I really wanna keep it stock its that dark green color and I figured the cars too nice to do anything wrong to it as I'm 17 and i know how 17-year-olds rice out cars and such. i just wanna know if there's anything you guys recommend me to do I thought about a sub like done right not just a box in the trunk but let me know what you guys think id really appreciate it.

welcome to the forums, glad you like the car. Before i go any further id like to politely ask you to please, for the love of god, use some commas in your future posts. :)
Also post some pictures of the car!
Before you start modifying the car in any way, make sure you do all the necessary maintenance that comes with any car with 100k+ miles on it. Timing belt/water pump needs to be addressed if the previous owner didn't do it, check for any leaks (oil, transmission, power steering fluid to name a few), make sure your brakes are in good condition along with suspension components. Best thing to do is to take it to a mechanic that you trust and have him inspect the car for any major issues that need to be addressed right away. Once all of that is done you can move on to modding. The first thing i recommend doing to these cars is putting some aftermarket wheels on it. 18x8 with +30 or +35 offset looks the best imo. Tires are easy to find and wont cost you a fortune and you wont have to modify the fender in any way to fit the wheels without rubbing. I never felt the need to upgrade the sound system in the car, base was always nice and the sound comes out nice and clear. If you have a pioneer system(not nakamichi), there is a very simple way to add Bluetooth to the car without replacing the stock radio. Also get a 3 spoke steering wheel from a newer model Lexus. 99-00 SC3/400, 2002-2003 SC430, 2000RX300, 2002 ES300/330 all have steering wheels that can be swapped into our cars. In your case you'll need an adapter cable to be able to properly plug in the airbag but its a fairly simple procedure and it updates the interior of the car significantly. Wood-grain steering wheels cost more but if you can find one that matches your wood i suggest doing that if you like wood steering wheels.

There is a TON of information on pretty much everything about these cars on the forums so if you have any question just search the forums and im sure youll find it.
Enjoy the car!

Vince31501 02-27-18 05:35 AM

Car pics

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...2fa77aba1d.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...5f1ad5a076.jpg
Interiors really nice as well I'll send pics of it when I'm home

RudysSC 02-27-18 06:53 AM

Great looking car - you couldn't have come up with a better first car. Like vteruni states - start out making sure that the maintenance is up to date and that the car has clean fluids throughout. A good search will show you how to do that work, or at least what parts and fluids to use. After that, you can't go wrong with a set of coilovers or drop springs and a nice set of wheels. Follow that up with an exhaust and you'll be lovin life.

- V - 02-27-18 08:31 AM

Very nice and clean! Engine bay looks a lot cleaner than mine! To add to my previous post, Id go through the ignition as well if i were you. Its likely never been changed and spark plugs are really easy to change on the V8 models, there is a nice diy on the Lexls website. Plugs/boots/wires/cap/rotor should run you between $100-$200 depending on where you get them. Probably not a priority if its running fine but something to keep in mind.

Vince31501 02-27-18 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by RudysSC (Post 10126210)
Great looking car - you couldn't have come up with a better first car. Like vteruni states - start out making sure that the maintenance is up to date and that the car has clean fluids throughout. A good search will show you how to do that work, or at least what parts and fluids to use. After that, you can't go wrong with a set of coilovers or drop springs and a nice set of wheels. Follow that up with an exhaust and you'll be lovin life.

car was fully serviced and it was done right before I bought it everything is up to date. What exhaust would you recommend?

RudysSC 02-27-18 09:16 AM

Vince,

As long as you verify then you should be in great shape! Timing belt is obviously most important, followed by clean fluids and good ignition parts as stated above. Sounds like you scored a hell of a nice car. For great sound, I highly recommend having a local exhaust shop remove the third cat (if you get underneath your car you'll see what I'm saying), resonators, and add a nice bolt on axle back with more aggressive mufflers (or have the exhaust shop build you a nice set with more aggressive mufflers and tips).

Otherwise, spend some time going through the SC Exhaust Thread in this forum. You'll find all sorts of set ups with sound clips to decide what you like.

Ramblerman 02-27-18 08:19 PM

Gee, where's all the rust! LOL. Very nice car. Enjoy the ride and make the car your own personal statement. Some of our Cali members think all the SC's in the north east are rust buckets. Live and learn! Any problems and we'll be glad to help. ;-)