SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Damaged wheel: how serious? Need repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 08:46 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damaged wheel: how serious? Need repair

so I picked up some 2003 mustang cobra wheels with the intention of putting proxes on and using them for autocross.

If if you are not familiar with the design of these wheels, there is a flat lip around outer the eldge
of the rim.
one of the rims has basically a gouge on this lip. From what I can see, this part is for style and does not contribute to sealing the bead of the tire.
Check out the pictures.

The damaged wheel still has a tire on. For comparison, there are pictures is of a non damaged wheel with no tire
Do you think this this needs to be professionally repaired, or can I maybe heat this up and bend it back into shape a little, and leave it?
Old 01-29-18, 09:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Opinions will vary but I would not heat it.
If the inner bead still holds true concentric line without variation it appears it will seal and be ok. Well except that cosmetic part.

In that case, I would use brass or something and knock the ears into place and file them smooth so the tire isn't being eaten when it flexes over the jagged edges.

It looks much worse than it is but it may chew up the bead a bit if left as is.

** I am not responsible for any choices you make regarding repairs or use of this information!**
Old 01-30-18, 06:06 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Opinions will vary but I would not heat it.
If the inner bead still holds true concentric line without variation it appears it will seal and be ok. Well except that cosmetic part.

In that case, I would use brass or something and knock the ears into place and file them smooth so the tire isn't being eaten when it flexes over the jagged edges.

It looks much worse than it is but it may chew up the bead a bit if left as is.

** I am not responsible for any choices you make regarding repairs or use of this information!**
kinda what I was thinking, can you elaborate on “knocking the ears with brass”? You mean like hit them with a brass hammer?

Last edited by tenac2215; 01-30-18 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 11:54 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

It needs to be professionally repaired unless you know how to weld that type of metal.

The repair process is heating it up then smashing it back into shape with a hammer. Followed by welding the crack and grinding it down smooth. Most cracks are usually on the inner barrel, so I'm not sure how they would refinish the face.

Heating it up and bending back at the ears leaves the risk of that crack expanding.
Old 01-30-18, 12:29 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
It needs to be professionally repaired unless you know how to weld that type of metal.

The repair process is heating it up then smashing it back into shape with a hammer. Followed by welding the crack and grinding it down smooth. Most cracks are usually on the inner barrel, so I'm not sure how they would refinish the face.

Heating it up and bending back at the ears leaves the risk of that crack expanding.
was looking at it again today and part of it was actually cracked totally so there is a triangle missing now. THTr crack does not look to expand past that point however. More pics with better light.

I’m not worried about how it’ll end up looking because I intend to use them only for track days and will paint them myself
Old 01-30-18, 12:38 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My thoughts exactly.

I haven't done any hands on work, but I've had a lesson in aluminum wheel repair. That sort of thing can be repaired for $50 and be as good as new. It's a slow process, but the end result will leave you confident that it won't snap in a hard corner.
Old 01-30-18, 02:20 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I wouldn't bother fixing that rim if a triangle is missing. I would find a replacement. I've had a few close calls with blowouts at high speed. I don't install parts of questionable integrity on my car anymore. Especially when it can be avoided.
Old 01-30-18, 06:17 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Bit the bullet and took it to a wheel repair shop today. Like said above I’d rather get it repaired right than worry about it breaking while driving hard. Hopefully it turns out good. Thanks for the input. I’ll put pics of the repair job if anyone’s interested.
Old 01-30-18, 08:47 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you took it to the repair shop. They will tig weld it and repair it correctly. Alloy wheels can crack more through use and fail on you under use.