SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking at purchasing my 2nd Lexus SC400.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 09:28 AM
tps3443
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at purchasing my 2nd Lexus SC400. ((( PICTURES of CAR

SHORT VERSION, I need a replacement SC400! It’s $4,500 and after plane ticket, and gas to get home I’ll have $5300 or so invested! Is it worth it??? And is it clean enough?

1998 with 170k miles

Im looking at a 1998 SC400 pearl white gold edition VVTI 5 speed auto model, the car shows no deffered maintenance in the book. 170k original miles, timming belt is due in exactly 8k miles. The vehicle has absolutely no fading, it has been garaged its whole life. 3 previoys owners. The 3rd owner is selling it now due to purchasing a brand new car small suv with more room. The car has soft and clean MINT leather interior. Engine bay is spotless, no leaks. The car is $4,500 and ive searched the country online. And it is cleaner than most with as little as 70k miles. Because it has been garaged its as if it was preserved, the leather is still factory soft. And even the metal on the windshield wipers is still glossy black. There is no rust, no leaking,recent work done is; new factory exhaust, new suspension work by the dealer, new 6 cd changer after old one broke.

ive gotta fly 2,500 miles to get it. And drive her home. So after plane ticket, gas back. I will have about $5,300 in the car, then im soon having timming belt finished, water pump etc,etc, that is due in 8k miles. It seems great to me. Any ideas? Should i get a ppi? Are they overly honest?

the seller has nothing much to gain as his payoff to the bank, is what im paying its $4,500. He is just simply getting out of the loan and breaking even..

but ive yet to find one cleaner, hes takin the car off of the road. And put it in the garage, awaiting my flight in February. Please EXCUSE my typing, this tablet im using is garbage and very slow.

thanks everyone!

Travis.

Last edited by tps3443; 01-12-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 04:39 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was a 2000 or 99 SC400 I could understand, but all that work for a 98 with 170K seems silly to me. The market for these cars at times is ridiculous though. I rather wait for a better deal, they pop up from time to time.
Old 01-12-18, 07:09 PM
tps3443
Driver School Candidate

Here’s the car! 98% condition I’d say.

An average SC400 1998, is more like $3000-$3500.

This car is really nice though! Not average.

Here it is!!

Last edited by tps3443; 01-12-18 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 07:59 PM
tps3443
Driver School Candidate

I’ve gotta buy this one! It’s beautiful! I think you will feel the same way after pics. Even for $5,500 if it were local I’d buy it.
There just amazing cars! And this one is a clean find.
Old 01-12-18, 08:54 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Timing Belt service is going to cost around a grand, isn't it (assuming you are having someone do the service)? May need a new radiator (would have to see some pics of that) based on mileage. But if it really is super clean, I'd probably pay the premium price for one.
Old 01-12-18, 09:26 PM
tps3443
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Timing Belt service is going to cost around a grand, isn't it (assuming you are having someone do the service)? May need a new radiator (would have to see some pics of that) based on mileage. But if it really is super clean, I'd probably pay the premium price for one.
The timing belt is due at 180K it was done right at about 90K miles as well the cam seals, valve cover seals, and water pump. I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple things. If I push the timming belt service to exactly 90K miles. It’s due in 8,000 miles. So if I go easy maybe 6 months or a year. I really cannot afford to change it immediately. I just love the cars in general. And I’m paying a premium sure. I’d like to have it as close to new as possible. The 6 disc changer is broken, and there’s a brand new factory disc changer in the trunk waiting to be installed. He spent a lot of money on front end work, bushing, LCA’s maintenance items. And even went as far as replacing the cars entire exhaust per the service department from an exhaust leak and bad cats. He seemed to be very funny over whatever it needed and spared no expense. He stopped driving it, and just bought a new car.My last SC400 was a 95’ and it had cardboard hard like leather interior, needed new paint, bad door panels, it was far from good. It leaked oil on every side of the motor, top to bottom! Minor leaks, but tons of grime, and gunk build up.. the trans would slip during freezing winter months upon first starting it in 15f-25f degree weather. And then it would stop once ever so slightly warm. The car was decent with a straight body but far from clean. But it ran like a top! And shifted like tearing through silk. The car just felt solid! And it was an amazing cruiser. It always wanted to fly on down the road cruising at 90+mph effortlessly.Now I’m thinking, hmmm a super clean SC400, it is 3 years newer, All original, 65k less miles. Needs nothing restored, or repaired. It has 50HP more, and 40 ft lbs more at a lower RPM, and a 5 speed auto. The drivetrain just seems more modern looking overall. And it’s better on gas on the highway.
Old 01-12-18, 11:14 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

The car looks like its in really nice shape. The high mileage means there are some major maitenance points coming up. The starters on these engines tend to fail around 200k and are crazy expensive to replace. Crank seal tends to go too and thats another one thats designed to be a PITA. Timing belt/waterpump can be done for a decent price if you dont go to a dealer. My mechanic did it for 300 labor and 150 for all Gates parts. Check lower control arms, if theyve never been replaced thats something that will need to be done as well. All in all youre looking at about $3k-$4k in parts and labor within the next ~20-40k miles. Not too bad but just make sure youre prepared for it. I drive a 99 SC400 with that exact color combo and im enjoying every second of it. I just replaced the lower control arms on it less than a week ago and what a difference! If you do end up getting it make sure you get a 3 spoke steering wheel into it, it will update the whole interior.
im sure im missing something but its late and thats all that i can think of atm, good luck!

on a side note, whats the difference between the regular and the gold package?
Old 01-13-18, 04:55 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Seems like you really like the car, it is clean and worth the price in my opinion. If you decide to get the car you can do the maintenance as you go. Find a good local shop that can do all the work for you when you are ready.
I have a 99 SC400 with 214 on the clock and she runs strong as ever. About to do the timing belt and cam seals next weekend with help of a friend how is a certified Toyota Tech. I enjoy driving it so I know how you feel.
Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-15-18, 11:21 AM
Celtica
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car. I hope it works out for you, then we'll be twins, lol.. ��
Old 01-15-18, 09:13 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy it! I'm sure you won't regret it!
Old 01-16-18, 11:30 AM
tps3443
Driver School Candidate

Im buying it, its only $4,500! All major maintenence has been completed, timming belt is coming up in the next year or so. Best of all, it has a eat off the motor clean vvti 1uzfe with 290hp, and a legendary A650e 5 speed buttery smooth transmission!

im going to drive it daily, wash and wax weekly, as well clean and condition interior weekly.

im gonna do the major servicing in about 40k miles. Like the lower control arms and what not.

the car has alot of life left, 400k miles is not alot to ask for. Thats 230k more of driving.
Old 01-16-18, 01:07 PM
Celtica
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tps3443
Im buying it, its only $4,500! All major maintenence has been completed, timming belt is coming up in the next year or so. Best of all, it has a eat off the motor clean vvti 1uzfe with 290hp, and a legendary A650e 5 speed buttery smooth transmission!

im going to drive it daily, wash and wax weekly, as well clean and condition interior weekly.

im gonna do the major servicing in about 40k miles. Like the lower control arms and what not.

the car has alot of life left, 400k miles is not alot to ask for. Thats 230k more of driving.
Yay, good for you ! Mine has 183k and I intend to drive it until I'm dead. I hope you enjoy every mile !
Old 01-16-18, 05:29 PM
tps3443
Driver School Candidate

Me and my wife are actually adding (2) gently used lexus vehicles to the stable. My SC400, and her GS430.

reliability, at its finest!

Ive owned a ls400 with 300,000 miles. And a SC400 with almost 250,000 miles. Both had that buttery smooth driving feel to them, with vault solid build quality to go with the ride, the doors would shut firmly and all had a quality feel, that similar american cars never came close to showing. Its tough to find a equivalent car that is modern, or newer without spending tens of thousands of dollars.

so, i say $4,500 bucks is a steal for a gently used V8 rwd luxury coupe.

im gonna keep this thread updated, and post photos when i finally get the car(s)
Old 01-16-18, 07:49 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

happy for you man, looking forward to seeing pictures. Just to be on the safe side make sure you do an inspection when you buy the car before you start driving back. Tires, axles, ball joints, etc is what i would prioritize checking so that nothing falls off the car while youre driving.
Old 01-18-18, 06:36 PM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The steering wheel on this 98 SC belongs to an older model. Is there a reason for that? Deployed airbag?

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing my 2nd Lexus SC400.