Sc300 rear- ended - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc300 rear- ended

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-17, 11:40 AM   #16
LEXXIUM
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
LEXXIUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: IN
Posts: 1,836
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Beautiful car, unfortunately thing like that do happen
I would cut that panel out and reweld the junkyard panel on and new bumper like it was mentioned.
I’d buy it back and fix it to keep enjoy driving the jem!!
LEXXIUM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 04:54 PM   #17
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 4,044
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Default

^^ This.

Also, if your insurance company has already been involved without a way to halt them from totaling it some state DMV's do have a "Rebuilt" title status that can be applied for after a full inspection of the vehicle once all repairs have been made. I don't know the particulars or what the requirements are but Florida may be one such state that does this. A "Rebuilt" title is not the same thing as a "Clean" title but it is better than having a "Salvage" title.

Hopefully, OP, you can take care of the repairs without getting into any of that.
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 09:26 PM   #18
WymanV
Driver School Candidate
 
WymanV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: MT
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool

That's similar but worse than the hit mine took in a parking lot while I was working. Insurance kicked in $3200, which isn't enough to get it repaired but enough to fix it myself and hopefully get the whole car repainted. Thrilled to death they didn't total it.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Sc300 rear- ended-dsc02234.jpg  
WymanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 05:46 AM   #19
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 4,044
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WymanV View Post
That's similar but worse than the hit mine took in a parking lot while I was working. Insurance kicked in $3200, which isn't enough to get it repaired but enough to fix it myself and hopefully get the whole car repainted. Thrilled to death they didn't total it.

Ken
WymanV, I am curious and I am sure the OP may be also-- how did the exchange between you and your insurance company go when this happened to you? Was it some arrangement where you asked them to cover you for an amount below the threshold that would have affected the SC's title status and you were to cover the rest or did it just work out that way without any special negotiation?
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 10:27 PM   #20
Rawboost
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Rawboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
WymanV, I am curious and I am sure the OP may be also-- how did the exchange between you and your insurance company go when this happened to you? Was it some arrangement where you asked them to cover you for an amount below the threshold that would have affected the SC's title status and you were to cover the rest or did it just work out that way without any special negotiation?
Insurance company still hasn't come out to look at it yet but will keep you guys posted on what happens
Rawboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 10:36 PM   #21
Rawboost
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Rawboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

And yes
very well cared for I'm the second owner the first owner never drove it he was an old retired business man he told me it spent most of it's time sitting in the parking garage at the airport because of all of the traveling he did because of his work no one ever sat in the back seats In the 20 something years he owned it.

Last edited by Rawboost; 11-04-17 at 01:41 AM.
Rawboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 10:40 PM   #22
Rawboost
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Rawboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhan View Post
Sorry to hear about your SC. Hope it all works out for the best!
Thanks I hope so too
Rawboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 10:50 PM   #23
Rawboost
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Rawboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal Sc400 View Post
I know and agree the Sc looks to be in excellent condition, but will only be getting around $3800 tops and that won't be enough to fix that damage. Insurance company will Red flag it immediately as totaled.
Yep it's in imaculate condition even with the damage the car still looks good I guess it's just my love for sc's..I've had so many people walk up to me at the gas station desperately wanting me to sell the car to them.... random people pumping their gas looking at these people drooling over my 98 bone stock sc trying to figure out the big deal with this old car....car meets are worse...
Rawboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 11:41 PM   #24
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 4,044
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawboost View Post
Insurance company still hasn't come out to look at it yet but will keep you guys posted on what happens
The car looks beautiful in the above picture. Really in great shape.

I would suggest that when the insurance adjustor comes to look at your car... IF it really will be your intention to keep it... inform them of this and that you would prefer to preserve the title status of the car regardless of the numbers they come up with for the damage. Be prepared to source out some parts such as another rear bumper yourself (put the word out here in the CL classifieds with a WTB ad). The insurance company will probably go for all brand new OEM parts from a Lexus dealer... and I'm sure you can guess what those prices will be. A used good condition 97-00 OEM bumper that will be repainted will be no different and cost far less. As for the rear quarter panel, the best budget solution is to cut one out from a scrapyard car (the very thing you may not want your SC to become). So long as the metal from the donor car is straight with no rust it is exactly the same other than requiring some work to remove.

Again, IF you decide your intention is to keep it and repair the cosmetic damage... ask them to work with you. It does not hurt to ask. Be firm. Tell them you would strongly prefer it not to be totaled. Although a 1998 isn't technically a "classic" car the vehicle series is in the real world. If the first repair estimate would do that, get a second one. Look at their estimate for the parts needed and if you can swing it, procure them yourself, including that rear quarter panel from a junk SC. The idea would be to keep the parts cost out of their estimate amount and let that insurance estimate only cover the labor cost. That would be a start.

Basically, if you do want to keep it and they do not initially come back with "looks like this will be covered... the car will not be totaled out", be prepared to go back and forth for a bit to fight for your car. From experience it is not always a pleasant experience (although sometimes it can go very smoothly and easily in your favor) but sometimes that is what is required for the insurance company not to take the easiest way out (for them).

If you do wish to keep the car and the repair cost will be high, don't let your insurance company easily make it an open and shut case. Always be polite and gracious in your dialogues with them but always firm as to your intentions and wishes. You do not have to accept their first offer or the first repair estimate.

Again, it really don't look like this is any more than cosmetic damage. Worst case scenario if everything mechanical is fine (and minor suspension parts can be replaced easily by you if the frame is intact) you could postpone the cosmetic damage for later repair. Not sure if the insurance co would allow just partial coverage of the damage repair below the total threshold amount with you covering the rest of it but that is also worth inquiring with them about.

None of these things are guarantees as to what they will or won't do inevitably but fighting for your options can certainly influence how the process goes before a final decision is made on their part.

Have you driven the car and does it still feel normal to you? If so, that's a very good sign.

Hoping the best for you, Rawboost. Keep us updated.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-03-17 at 11:54 PM.
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 01:52 AM   #25
Rawboost
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Rawboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
The car looks beautiful in the above picture. Really in great shape.

I would suggest that when the insurance adjustor comes to look at your car... IF it really will be your intention to keep it... inform them of this and that you would prefer to preserve the title status of the car regardless of the numbers they come up with for the damage. Be prepared to source out some parts such as another rear bumper yourself (put the word out here in the CL classifieds with a WTB ad). The insurance company will probably go for all brand new OEM parts from a Lexus dealer... and I'm sure you can guess what those prices will be. A used good condition 97-00 OEM bumper that will be repainted will be no different and cost far less. As for the rear quarter panel, the best budget solution is to cut one out from a scrapyard car (the very thing you may not want your SC to become). So long as the metal from the donor car is straight with no rust it is exactly the same other than requiring some work to remove.

Again, IF you decide your intention is to keep it and repair the cosmetic damage... ask them to work with you. It does not hurt to ask. Be firm. Tell them you would strongly prefer it not to be totaled. Although a 1998 isn't technically a "classic" car the vehicle series is in the real world. If the first repair estimate would do that, get a second one. Look at their estimate for the parts needed and if you can swing it, procure them yourself, including that rear quarter panel from a junk SC. The idea would be to keep the parts cost out of their estimate amount and let that insurance estimate only cover the labor cost. That would be a start.

Basically, if you do want to keep it and they do not initially come back with "looks like this will be covered... the car will not be totaled out", be prepared to go back and forth for a bit to fight for your car. From experience it is not always a pleasant experience (although sometimes it can go very smoothly and easily in your favor) but sometimes that is what is required for the insurance company not to take the easiest way out (for them).

If you do wish to keep the car and the repair cost will be high, don't let your insurance company easily make it an open and shut case. Always be polite and gracious in your dialogues with them but always firm as to your intentions and wishes. You do not have to accept their first offer or the first repair estimate.

Again, it really don't look like this is any more than cosmetic damage. Worst case scenario if everything mechanical is fine (and minor suspension parts can be replaced easily by you if the frame is intact) you could postpone the cosmetic damage for later repair. Not sure if the insurance co would allow just partial coverage of the damage repair below the total threshold amount with you covering the rest of it but that is also worth inquiring with them about.

None of these things are guarantees as to what they will or won't do inevitably but fighting for your options can certainly influence how the process goes before a final decision is made on their part.

Have you driven the car and does it still feel normal to you? If so, that's a very good sign.

Hoping the best for you, Rawboost. Keep us updated.
.after the accident I drove it home and the ride was smooth like nothing happened havenít drove it since though.. worst case scenario I have my eye on a 98 original 5spd in my area....
Rawboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 10:20 AM   #26
WymanV
Driver School Candidate
 
WymanV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: MT
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool

The guy who hit it was also working there so he hung around until I showed up at my car. He was on the phone with his insurance (company vehicle) and was adamant about "making things right". He gave them my insurance info and his provider got ahold of mine. When I got home and checked with my insurer they verified that they had been contacted, he admitted fault and therefore his insurance would take care of it and mine closed the case. His insurer sent an assessor who suggested it would be real likely to be totaled. However, he worked for a Lexus shop at one time, knew the value of a '98 and said he would see what he could do. Considering they didn't total it, it seems he valued the car higher than most would. And pressure from the guy who hit it to make sure it got fixed probably helped.

It was luck that the damage was limited to the sheet metal. Bumper cover is good, tail light is good, the stereo stuff inside was undamaged (CD changer didn't work anyway, of course). Just the superficial damage to the sheet metal and the worst of it pushed out from the inside when I climbed into the trunk and got my feet into it. Still, that body line where the quarter matches the bumper cover is gone and there would be a helluva lot of hammer/dolly work to get it straight. Having some 25 years in auto body behind me I can't imagine a shop willing to tackle this for $3200 but I'm hoping if I do the repair and prep work myself, I can find someone willing to mask and spray the whole car. Or ideally, rent some paint booth time from a previous employer since I also have a '72 Duster that's nearly ready for paint. I have no ventilation in my workshop so spraying paint here is out of the question.

Bottom line tho is I really didn't want to do this I bought it because it was a nice clean car and I wouldn't have to do a bunch of work on it.

Ken
WymanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-17, 09:04 PM   #27
Teal Sc400
Lexus Champion
 
Teal Sc400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 2,015
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawboost View Post
Yep it's in imaculate condition even with the damage the car still looks good I guess it's just my love for sc's..I've had so many people walk up to me at the gas station desperately wanting me to sell the car to them.... random people pumping their gas looking at these people drooling over my 98 bone stock sc trying to figure out the big deal with this old car....car meets are worse...
Don't think I want your beauty Sc totaled, by the insurance company. The salvage parts alone on your Sc are worth more money then the $3800 the insurance might be quoting u.
Teal Sc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 04:36 PM   #28
WymanV
Driver School Candidate
 
WymanV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: MT
Posts: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
WymanV, I am curious and I am sure the OP may be also-- how did the exchange between you and your insurance company go when this happened to you? Was it some arrangement where you asked them to cover you for an amount below the threshold that would have affected the SC's title status and you were to cover the rest or did it just work out that way without any special negotiation?
Wrote up a lengthy response that seems to still be awaiting moderator's approval.

Ken
WymanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 09:35 PM   #29
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 4,044
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WymanV View Post
Wrote up a lengthy response that seems to still be awaiting moderator's approval.

Ken
Ken, sorry about that. It's fixed now

Your situation does seem like a special case. That's very lucky to have had an adjustor who knew something about these cars and worked to get it fixed for you. Having someone like that in your corner on the insurance side is such a good thing. I hope you can get it repaired back to spec. Probably you'll want a parts shell also for that job but at least you have some insurance money and a clean title to do it with.

Back in the mid 90's I had a minor accident in a 60's classic Mustang and initially it looked to be an insurance total but the body shop owner, a specialist in classic restorations and restomods, pushed back and went to bat with the insurance company against their initial valuation. The end result was that there was just enough coverage to get everything fixed right and back the way it was with new paint on the affected area. Today unless one of those cars is a rustbucket it would be a no brainer to argue for enough to cover a fender bender but this was how it was even with one of those models well over twenty years ago. Mostly unthinkable now but not unthinkable back then. But even today specialty insurance for a classic car is a better bet. Most of us haven't quite crossed that threshold with our SC's yet.

We don't know if SC values will ever go up moderately or significantly (although they have already bottomed out at this point) like other more well known classic nameplates but the situation with SC's and insurance coverage for minor accident repairs today reminds me of my experience with my old Ford in the 1990's.
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KahnBB6 For This Useful Post:
WymanV (11-07-17)
Old 11-07-17, 08:39 AM   #30
jimbosr1
Lexus Test Driver
 
jimbosr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ga
Posts: 1,489
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Default

sorry your sc got hit,mine got totaled on oct 5 and the insurance pay out was $6500.i had a mint 93 sc400 with 107k miles.best of luck with your repair or pay out.
Attached Thumbnails
Sc300 rear- ended-p1190383.jpg  

Last edited by jimbosr1; 11-07-17 at 08:43 AM.
jimbosr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deer vs CT CTFSportSE CT 200h Model (2011-present) 8 10-31-17 08:00 AM
Is the 2008 Lexus IS 250 still worth it? alishan IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) 19 03-06-17 10:06 PM
Noisy power steering on ES300h? chromedome ES - 6th Gen (2013-present) 1 07-22-16 03:20 PM
New IS200T vs used 2014 IS350 AWD 387 IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) 21 07-07-16 04:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: