SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1jz sc300 or LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 05:43 PM
PJSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz sc300 or LS430

Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to trade my 1jz manual sc300 for my uncles 2004 LS430. TBH I'm getting tired of all the little things that goes wrong with an old modded car. For example my power steering pump just went out, my power steering rack leaks, control arm bushings are bad, faded paint, etc. My SC300 is my first car and I love it to death but it might be time to move on. Do you think it would be worth the trade for a clean LS430?
Old 11-01-17, 06:15 PM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

WORTH it.. yeah
would i? probably not lol...

want mine?
Old 11-01-17, 06:16 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

not even close to "apples or oranges".... way different cars.... I have both and enjoy them for different purposes.

LS430 is arguably the "best" luxury sedan made so far.... (if that is what you are looking for...).

Your SC sounds like it is entering a state of repair and unless you are committed to it best to move on.....
Old 11-02-17, 06:36 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would take an LS430 over the SC any day. I have both cars and the LS is the better of the two cars. The big advantage of the SC is that it's cheaper to mod and you have huge potential for power. It's hard to give up a turbo SC though.

My LS has been much cheaper to maintain. It hasn't given me much trouble compared to my SC300.
Old 11-02-17, 12:53 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

LS30 all day long if you want a smooth, reliable ride. I recently sold my 96 built single turbo car though it has good power potential, I enjoy my 99 SC400 1UZ VVti car more. If you are not looking for big power output, 450 HP plus I say go for the LS430.
Old 11-02-17, 12:58 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Believe Duck said it best.

Sounds like you actually may be getting the better end of the deal.

Go for it. =)
Old 11-02-17, 01:55 PM
Farhan
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprised your uncle whom I assume is an older gentleman would want to trade his age-appropriate luxury sedan for a hooligan car like a modded SC. Seems like a cool dude.
But yea, I'd trade him if the car's going to be driven daily.
Old 11-02-17, 04:12 PM
PJSC300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Farhan
Surprised your uncle whom I assume is an older gentleman would want to trade his age-appropriate luxury sedan for a hooligan car like a modded SC. Seems like a cool dude.
But yea, I'd trade him if the car's going to be driven daily.
Yeah my uncle is awesome. He's the one who got into cars. He also has a Infiniti q45, an srt4, RX8, etc. he defiently has the funds to fix all the issues with the car.
Old 11-02-17, 04:13 PM
PJSC300
Rookie

Thanks for all the advise guys. I will still need to think long and hard about it though.
Old 11-02-17, 05:03 PM
davvv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both. Both amazing cars. They are very similar.
Ls430 is one of the best cars ever made hands down. Amazing mpg for it's size and v8, super comfortable, super duper reliable, a huge amount of front seat leg room compared to any car out now a days. Only downside to this trade would be ur car is turbo manual. Your looking at two different animals.
Very hard question only you can answer. I personally wouldn't be able to make up my mind lol. I'm 100% in love with both cars. Ls430 is the BEST car ever made!!!!!!
Old 11-03-17, 05:38 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I haven't driven an LS430 but I have spent many years in a 98-00 LS400. Both Lexus sedans are excellent, bulletproof cars and indeed probably two of the best reliable luxury sedans ever made. You can't go wrong with an LS430. Comparing the interior quality, hands down the LS is better-- no question. Comparing for ride smoothness, again... the LS is the winner (although it handles like a boat). Ample power and torque from the V8... never an issue. Fuel economy from an LS is quite decent enough to live with.

However comparing one to a turbo manual SC (or Soarer) is apples to oranges. Personally I would never trade my SC for an LS400/430. I'd just buy an LS as a second car to park next to it.

It sounds like you would have some staged/staggered maintenance coming up with your SC but it doesn't sound horrible to be honest. Whether it's worth it to you to gradually fix those issues for another 20 years of use is down to what you really want, OP. But I will say this: if you really do love the car as much as you say then I would not get rid of it. Close to 20 years ago I let go of a very special older car that I loved a lot but which had some quirks and issues that needed TLC. I sold it for an average price and replaced it with an average car. Years later I still wish I'd never sold it. For me, the SC I have now is still only second to that car I no longer have. And don't get me wrong-- I have PLENTY of love for the SC on its own as a keeper. I let ten years go by before I finally sought out a rear-drive manual muscle car style vehicle that is similar in spirit to the one I let go... albeit in a much more modern and reliable design (SC).

Everything is relative. My point is that IF your SC is a very special car to you... think hard before you decide to let it go. There is always a much more practical to own and slightly newer car right around any corner from cheap used economy vehicles to very, very nice ones like the LS430. The issues you have with your SC at the moment can be fixed. It ultimately comes down to what you want most from a car and if the one you have is special enough to you and set up the way you like it enough to want to get through some repairs to continue to enjoy it. If on the other hand the LS430 appeals to you more than the 1JZ manual SC then maybe that is a better fit for what you like. These are completely different cars, however. No comparing a turbo manual SC with an LS sedan.

Only being able to realistically keep one vehicle always makes these decisions difficult. The right decision for each of us is different.

All that said, I agree with Duck05. If you don't want to be committed to and accept occasionally doing some long term repairs to your SC then it's not going to be a rewarding ownership experience.

Some notes: the front LCA's, once replaced, last another 20+ years. Same with the steering rack and PS pump. Speaking of those, I believe A1 Cardone is currently where a lot of MKIV owners send their racks for rebuilding and it's 99.5% the same design as the SC rack. Driftmotion sells remanufactured PS pumps at a reasonable price. There is also a factory PS pump rebuild kit you can buy. The PS lines themselves, if leaking, can be rebuilt at a professional pressure hose shop.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-03-17 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-04-17, 04:57 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

id say trade it and then start shopping for a clean 98+ SC400 as a second car. I have a 99 SC4 and my parents used to own an LS430 and i would love to have both of them. I may have been interested in turocharging and big power at some point but i LOVE the V8 in my SC after driving on the 95 SC3 that i had for 5 years.
Old 11-05-17, 09:29 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You're comparing fun/sporty coupe to essentially the next thing to a limo... do not understand this thread at all.

That's like asking, should I buy a minivan or a F350 with a 10" lift kit?

Do you know what you want or need?
Old 11-06-17, 07:28 PM
PJSC300
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I haven't driven an LS430 but I have spent many years in a 98-00 LS400. Both Lexus sedans are excellent, bulletproof cars and indeed probably two of the best reliable luxury sedans ever made. You can't go wrong with an LS430. Comparing the interior quality, hands down the LS is better-- no question. Comparing for ride smoothness, again... theLS is the winner (although it handles like a boat). Ample power and torque from the V8... never an issue. Fuel economy from an LS is quite decent enough to live with.

However comparing one to a turbo manual SC (or Soarer) is apples to oranges. Personally I would never trade my SC for an LS400/430. I'd just buy an LS as a second car to park next to it.

It sounds like you would have some staged/staggered maintenance coming up with your SC but it doesn't sound horrible to be honest. Whether it's worth it to you to gradually fix those issues for another 20 years of use is down to what you really want, OP. But I will say this: if you really do love the car as much as you say then I would not get rid of it. Close to 20 years ago I let go of a very special older car that I loved a lot but which had some quirks and issues that needed TLC. I sold it for an average price and replaced it with an average car. Years later I still wish I'd never sold it. For me, the SC I have now is still only second to that car I no longer have. And don't get me wrong-- I have PLENTY of love for the SC on its own as a keeper. I let ten years go by before I finally sought out a rear-drive manual muscle car style vehicle that is similar in spirit to the one I let go... albeit in a much more modern and reliable design (SC).

Everything is relative. My point is that IF your SC is a very special car to you... think hard before you decide to let it go. There is always a much more practical to own and slightly newer car right around any corner from cheap used economy vehicles to very, very nice ones like the LS430. The issues you have with your SC at the moment can be fixed. It ultimately comes down to what you want most from a car and if the one you have is special enough to you and set up the way you like it enough to want to get through some repairs to continue to enjoy it. If on the other hand the LS430 appeals to you more than the 1JZ manual SC then maybe that is a better fit for what you like. These are completely different cars, however. No comparing a turbo manual SC with an LS seda

Only being able to realistically keep one vehicle always makes these decisions difficult. The right decision for each of us is different.

All that said, I agree with Duck05. If you don't want to be committed to and accept occasionally doing some long term repairs to your SC then it's not going to be a rewarding ownership experience.

Some notes: the front LCA's, once replaced, last another 20+ years. Same with the steering rack and PS pump. Speaking of those, I believe A1 Cardone is currently where a lot of MKIV owners send their racks for rebuilding and it's 99.5% the same design as the SC rack. Driftmotion sells remanufactured PS pumps at a reasonable price. There is also a factory PS pump rebuild kit you can buy. The PS lines themselves, if leaking, can be rebuilt at a professional pressure hose shop.
Thank you very much for your response. You made me realize how special my SC is to me. From being my first car and going to my first date in, I love the car and decided to keep it for as long as possible. For all the issues I decided to buy a cheap daily and fix all the issues when I have enough income and time instead of avoiding the maintence and abusing her. One day my SC will be show car ready and I will achieve this in due time.
Old 11-06-17, 09:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSC300
Thank you very much for your response. You made me realize how special my SC is to me. From being my first car and going to my first date in, I love the car and decided to keep it for as long as possible. For all the issues I decided to buy a cheap daily and fix all the issues when I have enough income and time instead of avoiding the maintence and abusing her. One day my SC will be show car ready and I will achieve this in due time.
You're welcome, PJSC300. It really is a very individual and personal decision to make. We all face it at one time or another. Getting a cheaper daily car that is easy to run and maintain can sometimes be one of the best ways to keep a vehicle you really love to own and treat it right as you are able to restore or build it. Any classic performance car is a little more work than the norm to keep up but the rewards are always worth the effort if you really like the car. Keeping a special car that has been with you for a long time or through some of the most defining of times can mean a lot.

The SC community is here to help whenever you need it and whenever you're ready
The following users liked this post:
Duck05 (11-09-17)

Quick Reply: 1jz sc300 or LS430