1jz sc300 or LS430 - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1jz sc300 or LS430

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-17, 07:28 PM   #16
texan_176
Pole Position
iTrader: (5)
 
texan_176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

My experience is based on owning a 98 SC300 for 8 years and an 05 LS430 for a year.

If both cars were in identical condition meaning the SC did not need repairs just because it is an older car I would go with an SC over the LS if I could have just one car. The seat comfort, design of the interior, view from inside, quality of how the doors are vault like, etc...it is way ahead of the LS. You have to keep in mind Toyota put way more into the R&D of the SC than the 3rd gen LS because they were establishing the Lexus brand. You see and feel the notch of higher quality in the SC and realize it was really something special back in the old days. At a price of more than a BMW M3 in those days it was a risk for Toyota but they pulled it off. The only thing I dislike about the SC is the offset they used on the stock wheels and how they do not fill out the rear wheel wells like the fronts do. Other than that there is nothing to dislike; every line on the body is beautiful.

The LS has tons of more modern features available like park sensors and smart keys on the more basic models while the high end LS cars have auto cruise control and voice commands. It feels like a quality car and the ride quality is amazing. Stuff like huge fixed multi-piston brake calipers were standard equipment; very nice. However, when driving my LS I never got that "wow I am driving something special" thought. It's a great car but lacks the historical significance and unexplainable wow factor. I also disliked how Toyota cheapened the lower trim levels by cutting small corners such as deleting the leather on the door arm rests when all LS cars came with it standard until the 2001 model year. The leather was also way superior on the 90s Lexus models compared to the newer ones; not 1970s Mercedes Benz kind of thick and high quality but very nice for the money. I guess I liked how most SCs were loaded to the gills and the only options were things like cell phone, traction control, Nak sound, heated seats, etc.

I have yet to drive an LC500 to see what they are like but being a low production model I get the feeling it has that something special factor to it and I'm not saying that just because it is a coupe.
texan_176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 01:39 AM   #17
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 4,061
Thanked 61 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_176 View Post
I have yet to drive an LC500 to see what they are like but being a low production model I get the feeling it has that something special factor to it and I'm not saying that just because it is a coupe.
I haven't driven an LC500 either. A bit out of my price range. I've seen a few of them up close though and you're spot on about it having a special and unique appeal. The way it looks and and from the reviews I've seen to date (the hybrid version excepted) it's closer to being a spiritual successor to the original SC400. Not entirely... because the SC (when awakened a bit) and especially the Soarer 1JZ Z30 version was very much a luxury muscle GT driver's car but the impression the LC500 gives and apparently how it drives with the optional Torsen LSD is far closer to that original "wow" formula than anything Lexus has produced in years. It has a great look and despite how it drives it has a classic grand tourer quality.

^^ As to the SC300/400/Soarer, I agree with you. They may not have the modern gadgets and features the new Lexus models have but that's part of what makes them appealing: their over engineered design and, as perceived by 2017 standards, their simplicity. But they weren't considered under-featured cars back in 1991. To be fair though their RHD Soarer cousins did have quite a bit more optional equipment available.

I've always liked the LS400/430 models as being well built and timeless sedans but they don't evoke the same appeal that SC's do. Exceptionally good and handsome sedans but not the same as the first Lexus/Calty coupe.
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 04:49 PM   #18
texan_176
Pole Position
iTrader: (5)
 
texan_176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
I haven't driven an LC500 either. A bit out of my price range. I've seen a few of them up close though and you're spot on about it having a special and unique appeal. The way it looks and and from the reviews I've seen to date (the hybrid version excepted) it's closer to being a spiritual successor to the original SC400. Not entirely... because the SC (when awakened a bit) and especially the Soarer 1JZ Z30 version was very much a luxury muscle GT driver's car but the impression the LC500 gives and apparently how it drives with the optional Torsen LSD is far closer to that original "wow" formula than anything Lexus has produced in years. It has a great look and despite how it drives it has a classic grand tourer quality.

^^ As to the SC300/400/Soarer, I agree with you. They may not have the modern gadgets and features the new Lexus models have but that's part of what makes them appealing: their over engineered design and, as perceived by 2017 standards, their simplicity. But they weren't considered under-featured cars back in 1991. To be fair though their RHD Soarer cousins did have quite a bit more optional equipment available.

I've always liked the LS400/430 models as being well built and timeless sedans but they don't evoke the same appeal that SC's do. Exceptionally good and handsome sedans but not the same as the first Lexus/Calty coupe.
Great post.

The LC is not in my price range but I already want one in the used car market once they drop down to Honda Accord money.

This review is the best I have seen on the LC....this guy totally gets what we see in the LC.

texan_176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 06:43 PM   #19
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 4,061
Thanked 61 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_176 View Post
Great post.

The LC is not in my price range but I already want one in the used car market once they drop down to Honda Accord money.

This review is the best I have seen on the LC....this guy totally gets what we see in the LC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imayu3eHYxQ
^^ That I am not so sure will happen with the LC500 As a stock original car it has all the right equipment and does all the right things and it's much more an attention getter to the onlooker and the driver/owner alike as compared to your average Mercedes SL V8. It's a halo and niche car sold in low volume but not ridiculously low volume. They will depreciate some but will probably still be valued way above a brand new Accord's MSRP even when the oldest ones bottom out in value.

In this case, Lexus built a high quality grand touring performance car that wasn't lacking for anything and wasn't de-contended for the American market... as they have so often done with their performance-minded products in the past (*cough* SC vs Soarer Z30, IS300 vs Altezza, GS300 2JZ-GE vs Aristo 2JZGTE *cough*)
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MN WTB sc300 2jz-ge motor mount brackets adc27 SC400 / 300 Classifieds 1 10-25-17 10:26 AM
1jzgte swap from chaser into 93 sc300 any insight LUIS1993SC Performance & Maintenance 3 07-24-16 12:15 AM
NJ FS 2jz-ge and accessories and sc300 interior 5spd brett14 SC400 / 300 Classifieds 1 06-19-16 03:53 PM
VA trade 2001 gs430 for gs300 Bluegs300 Lexus Vehicles Classifieds 1 03-24-16 05:02 PM
1JZ Soarer and MKIV TT PS reservoirs the same? KahnBB6 Performance & Maintenance 9 02-25-16 10:36 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: