SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lexus SC 300 1999

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-17, 04:44 PM
Ethanbds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus SC 300 1999

Hi guys. I’m currently about to purchase this Lexus SC 300. I know a fair amount about them but I’m not to familiar on how they hold value. The one I plan on getting is priced at $7,600. It’s practically brand new it has 76000 miles, it’s been serviced every 3000 miles. Everything in it down to the headlights are mint condition. I think it’s a very fair price for what’s being offered but when I put it into KBB or edmunds it’s comes out with the value around $4000 I know that those aren’t always accurate especially with older cars so I just thought to get some insight from you guys. Anything is appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-14-17, 07:46 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

That's a lot unless its a 5 speed. An auto even with that low miles and great shape is only worth 5k in my opinion.

Most people buying the car's now a days are doing so with the intention of doing some modifications to bring the power/handling up to date. Even if everything is immaculate the rubber bushings in the suspension are 70k miles and 25 years old so its not going to handle as well as it did new. All the seals also have time wearing them down. If it was driven consistently its whole life and never sat for long thats a plus but if it did sit for a while that's not good on seals inside the motor.

You have to consider regular maintenance as well. It's due for a timing belt and water pump if they havn't been done in the last 3 -5 years. Probably new fluids all around, at least coolant. Plugs wires distrubutor cap and rotor are all things they should get looked it and replaced if they never have been
Old 10-14-17, 08:25 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by scsexy
That's a lot unless its a 5 speed. An auto even with that low miles and great shape is only worth 5k in my opinion.

Most people buying the car's now a days are doing so with the intention of doing some modifications to bring the power/handling up to date. Even if everything is immaculate the rubber bushings in the suspension are 70k miles and 25 years old so its not going to handle as well as it did new. All the seals also have time wearing them down. If it was driven consistently its whole life and never sat for long thats a plus but if it did sit for a while that's not good on seals inside the motor.

You have to consider regular maintenance as well. It's due for a timing belt and water pump if they havn't been done in the last 3 -5 years. Probably new fluids all around, at least coolant. Plugs wires distrubutor cap and rotor are all things they should get looked it and replaced if they never have been

$5,000 for a 99 with 76k miles that sounds mint and has maintenance history? Keep dreaming bud.

Post one car for sale that has those specs...for $5,000. Where do you come up with these numbers? Where have you EVER seen a deal like that?
Old 10-14-17, 08:35 PM
Ethanbds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
$5,000 for a 99 with 76k miles that sounds mint and has maintenance history? Keep dreaming bud.

Post one car for sale that has those specs...for $5,000. Where do you come up with these numbers? Where have you EVER seen a deal like that?
so are you agreeing that 76 is a fair price for it?
Old 10-14-17, 08:43 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ethanbds
so are you agreeing that 76 is a fair price for it?
Have you looked at the market? That's a VERY reasonable price considering what you said about the car is true.

$5k estimate was a complete joke.
The following users liked this post:
Ethanbds (10-14-17)
Old 10-14-17, 08:54 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

76 is on a high side, if that’s what you want to pay for the car, do it only if you’re in love with it and drove it around should drive pretty fresh with no noises/squeaks at that mileage, seats should still be mint especially passenger side should look closer to new in visibility, and speedo fresh without any scratches as well as none of the vents are broken or cracked, outside paint should be still flawless not most part engine bay should be clean unless the dealer had it power washed detailed. Underbody check for rust flood corrosion and all that!!!
I would look over all condition of the cars exterior, interior drivability then if everything looks pretty close to new and checked out in my book, then I’d hand the cash over take possession by making sure it’s never been in an accident/rebuilt title and then the car is mine!!!
Keep this in mind clean and honest cars are very hard to come by these days, use your eyes and judgement when buying a car this old, my 2000 still smells like new inside so should the 99 you’re about to buy!!!...

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 10-14-17 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ethanbds (10-14-17)
Old 10-14-17, 08:56 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i just totaled mine.a 93 sc400 with 117k miles and it was mint.just had timing belt and w/p and other things done days before the crash and i am receiving $6500 from the insurance company.So these cars in mint condition are still bringing some good money.$7600 if the car is in mint condition with strong service is a very good price imo. She will be missed!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus SC 300 1999-p1190382.jpg   Lexus SC 300 1999-p1190387.jpg   Lexus SC 300 1999-p1190393.jpg  
Old 10-14-17, 09:50 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

It really depends on who you ask. Those who may have recently purchased their cars for much cheaper will say that it's a bad deal, however those that purchased their cars many years ago when they were worth a lot more would probably be inclined to spend more on nicer examples.

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 10-14-17 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 09:55 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I'll say this again.... post links to some other 99 SC300 right now for sale with under 80k miles, all original, not ghettoed out and have service records that cost less than $7,600.

Facts are facts, otherwise we are just blowing smoke up each other's *** here.
The following 2 users liked this post by 97-SC300:
Ethanbds (10-14-17), kostas86 (10-30-17)
Old 10-14-17, 10:28 PM
Ethanbds
Driver School Candidate

Here’s some pictures for anyone whose doubting the condition. On top of the paint, interior and everything you can see the car itself checks out I brought my friend with me who’s a mechanic and he looked over everything and verified that it’s mint condition. the debate isn’t on if the quality of the car is true, but if it’s about for the condition and price point if it’s a good deal

Thanks

- Ethan

Old 10-14-17, 10:30 PM
Ethanbds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I'll say this again.... post links to some other 99 SC300 right now for sale with under 80k miles, all original, not ghettoed out and have service records that cost less than $7,600.

Facts are facts, otherwise we are just blowing smoke up each other's *** here.
yes thank you! This is what I was looking for ahah
Old 10-14-17, 11:20 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

It looks pretty sweet, good luck with your purchase. Did the passenger side airbag deploy? It kinda looks like a different color in your last pic. Either way, good luck
Old 10-14-17, 11:21 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

you guys arent taking location into consideration. I can tell you in FL there are a few of these for about 7k asking price on craigslist. There is a SC400 98 in tampa for 7k with 76K miles on it but thats for a SC400 and its asking price. Which means if you know how to negotiate that car is more along the lines of 6200. Best way to tell if youre overpaying is to look around you in about 300mile radius and see if the cars go for similar prices. Also since youre buying a later year model car would i be correct in asuming you are keeping it stock? if you are you may want to consider SC400. I have a 99 SC400 and i love it. I just got some wheels for it and plan to lower it on eibach springs but other than that i have no other mods planned for this car aside from a few cosmetics in the interior.
Old 10-15-17, 12:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That looks like a nice car my friend, lovely color combo!!!! I'd say offer them $6000 and go from there. Maybe meet them around $6400-6500. I'd say the AWESOME color combo really adds value, along with the low miles and awesome condition. I really only see two demerits with this car, #1 is that aftermarket touch screen, might be a plus if the guy upgraded all the sound, did a subwoofer and didn't hack the wiring all to hell. #2 is the 2JZ-GE under the hood, ie it being an SC300 vs the way more powerful SC400. 98-00 cars with the V8(SC400) had A LOT more horsepower than the six cylinder SC300. Still the 2JZ is a great motor, its super reliable, velvety smooth, great sound, great torque. It does guzzle the premium fuel and timing belt service can be expensive($600-900), make sure that was already done.

BTW back in 2012 I paid $9,000 for a 1992 SC300, 5 speed, 60k miles, just absolutely freaky fresh mint condition. Its IMO a desireable color combo, pearl white, light tan interior. I mean you could have concourse judged this car in the "original/non-restored" class and it would have placed 1st if I had the stock 15" turbine wheels refinished and detailed the hell out of the wheel wells, underside, parts of the engine bay, etc. I've owned a Camaro that was 2 years old with 19k miles that wasn't anywhere near this damn clean. My buddies started calling my car "The Fresh Lex". Granted I've driven my car since then, it now has 102k on it, it isn't quite as freaky fresh, but its still really damn nice for the age.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-15-17 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-15-17, 05:29 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

A car , like the SC is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it . It's worth depends on who is buying it and what they want to do with the car. Some will value it's originality , physical condition and mileage and are willing to pay for those factors and will just leave the car as it is through their ownership. Some just want to have an SC to modify with a better drive train so they wouldn't want to start with a very expensive shell knowing they won't get much for it's drive train that they will just put aside and are not picky about their paint or interior for how they want to use the car.

It really all depends on what you will do with the car and how much you are willing to spend, OP . Every one will look at it differently . One thing sure , having seen how long cars had been posted on ads through the years , it isn't easy selling an SC regardless how good it is especially if the price is up there. I have seen ads repeatedly put up or closed down simply because no one will buy the car. Not that the car wasn't worth it , it was just that no one was willing to pay for it at the price it was advertised. That is exactly the reason some sellers who just want their car gone will sell it at a very low price especially if they need the money. On the other hand , some buyers who are in a hurry to get one , grabs one that they fall in love regardless of the price specially if they have convinced themselves that it is worth it for them.

Bottom line , you can't depend on what others say about a car's value and why you will buy it. It is you who know what the car's future is in your ownership and how much money you are willing to shell out now to make yourself happy . If you start on a high priced SC , don't ever expect to get back your investment. It is not gonna happen.

Like I have probably said to my wife , "I will keep this vehicle forever till it falls apart" out of the more than 150 cars I have owned in my lifetime . It never happened so she doesn't believe me anymore even with the most coveted MKIVs . And I can't say that I am not benefiting well on my MKIV investments . It is just that we all don't know what the future holds for us and our likes and dislikes change .

Last edited by gerrb; 10-15-17 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC 300 1999