SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sold The SC....Now What???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 06:14 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
^ Ok that isn't true at all. There's a huge Japanese aftermarket for the IS, GS, RC and LS cars.

If you're looking for cheap mods, hell no there isn't LOL!. OBX doesn't make parts for cars where the owners gladly fork over $700 for a titanium intake tube. $2000 for long tube manifolds. $6000 for a bolt on HKS supercharger kit

And there definitely isn't any rep aero for those cars. They're starting with the IS250/350s currently
Huge aftermarket in terms of aero products and aesthetics....sure.

As far as performance, I don't the HKS supercharger kit that runs 5psi to give the IS a whopping 50hp increase qualifies...lol.
Old 10-18-17, 10:42 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
After listing the car for less than a week and numerous offers, I sold the SC300 this evening...smooth transaction, the buyer knew what the car was all about.

So, now that the car is gone...the garage looks so empty. I need a turbo car!

Been thinking of the following cars:

- Subaru STI (kinda $$)
- 300ZX Twin Turbo (had one way back and loved it).
- E46 M3 (problematic)

What do you guys think? Any advice or suggestions? I got $15k in total to play with as a down payment.
Hard choice! I would go with the Z, its iconic and its beautiful, great to look at in my opinion, I do got a soft spot for the STI though. So since you owned a 300 TT before maybe go with the STI this time around?
Old 10-19-17, 07:11 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

sucks you sold the car. i was looking forward to seeing your car finished and at some local chicago meets. especially since you were leaning towards that t56 trans route.

my recommendation for relatively cheap and reliable fun with TONS of tuning potential and NEW parts would be a C6 Vette.
Old 10-21-17, 06:55 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Is turbo a must?

If you're out of the Toyota game with no plans to come back, how about a clean RX7? Those cars will climb in value and are gorgeous and fun.
Old 10-23-17, 09:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think I got the perfect solution. they make 2JZ swap mounts for the Z32 now. Problem solved
Old 10-23-17, 09:56 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Well, here she is....picked her up on Sunday from a 72yr old (original owner) in Indiana....literally a barn find lol.

It's a super clean 1991 300ZX 2+0 5spd NA w/ 71k original miles. No rust, no accidents, no mechanical issues, one owner car. Great example and picked her up for a great deal! She will now be the foundation for my 2JZ or RB build...haven't decided yet.

Here are the pics of when I was picking her up...

Last edited by LexIS007; 10-23-17 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-23-17, 10:22 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

That's clean. Congrats on the new car.

I honestly do not blame you for dumping your SC. That car was a rust bucket that was not worth to restore. You'd have to cut and install new body panels and trying to fix the rocker and quarter rust would be a nightmare....and WHY? When there are so many clean rust free examples in the south.
Old 10-23-17, 10:37 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That's clean. Congrats on the new car.

I honestly do not blame you for dumping your SC. That car was a rust bucket that was not worth to restore. You'd have to cut and install new body panels and trying to fix the rocker and quarter rust would be a nightmare....and WHY? When there are so many clean rust free examples in the south.
Thanks man! Yeah your absolutely right, as much as I still love the SC/Supra/JZ platform, my previous car was just going to be alot of work (time & money). I was able to sell 90% of the parts I posted throughout various forums (inlcuding CL), so thank you all who purchased parts from me. I know there are clean automatic SC's out there (this i know for sure), but I am very picky about having factory manual cars....really a personal preference. When I had a chance to buy my cousins SC300 a year ago, for the price I figured it would still leave me with some wiggle room to restore. Turned out to be more work than it was worth....so I sold her for good money and climbed out of what would have been a steep money pit. I now see why people always say look for a good clean body, because that truly is the most expensive part of a build (at least from my experience).

I know this is not a Z forum, but I hope to still be welcomed to share my build with everyone (especially if I decide to go 2JZ).

Thanks.
Old 10-23-17, 10:43 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats on the z32!
Old 10-23-17, 10:45 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

It's a several hour job to convert to manual if you have a lift and know what you're doing, but to repair the amount of body rot would not only take an enormous amount of time and money, but there are no guarantees it will not come back. This is why most or probably all bodyshops never guarantee rust.

Most people make the mistake of buying the cheap car and thinking, I can fix things along the way but next thing you know you needa complete new interior, a full paintjob, rust repair, etc. and you're 15k in the hole just getting it to a clean base you can start modding. Never worth it.
Old 10-23-17, 10:49 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

You definitely did well on getting that clean-*** Z. That's the best way to do it. Get a clean one-owner car (which is VERY hard to do...so big congrats on that), and start modding. Don't have to mess with rust/paint/etc. which are all big tasks that you can't even do yourself unless you're some wizard 1%er that has the experience,knowledge, and facility to do that kind of work.
Old 10-23-17, 11:08 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jadu
congrats on the z32!
Thanks Jadu!

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
It's a several hour job to convert to manual if you have a lift and know what you're doing, but to repair the amount of body rot would not only take an enormous amount of time and money, but there are no guarantees it will not come back. This is why most or probably all bodyshops never guarantee rust.

Most people make the mistake of buying the cheap car and thinking, I can fix things along the way but next thing you know you needa complete new interior, a full paintjob, rust repair, etc. and you're 15k in the hole just getting it to a clean base you can start modding. Never worth it.

You definitely did well on getting that clean-*** Z. That's the best way to do it. Get a clean one-owner car (which is VERY hard to do...so big congrats on that), and start modding. Don't have to mess with rust/paint/etc. which are all big tasks that you can't even do yourself unless you're some wizard 1%er that has the experience,knowledge, and facility to do that kind of work.
Yeah, the mechanical stuff is easier to get away with in terms of "flaws" on most builds because it doesn't have to be in the best shape aesthetically. For example, the sand casting marks (pitting) on an aluminum engine parts, etc... These are things people just expect to look raw, not 100% correct. Unfortunately, we can't say the same for the bodies of cars.

I will be starting to collect the JDM pieces now (99' JDM headlights, bumpers, sides, and tailights). In the meantime, i'll be comparing the price difference of building a 2JZ to an RB. I know the 2JZ will be much cheaper to build, but...if it's only a few grand difference....I will go the RB route.
Old 10-23-17, 03:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

That's a very clean Z32! Congratulations!! A one-owner, low mileage factory manual car. Great find! I remember reading once that the most popular model sold in the Japanese market was one we never got in the USA: the Z32 2+2 TT. You've got a great foundation to build off of.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers suggesting this but being a 90's Nissan with a 5-speed manual nearly identical to what was offered in the Skylines of the era an RB will be nearly bolt-in with a bellhousing swap, won't it? I could be mistaken but I have been under the impression that the Z32 NA and TT 5-speed M/T's are very similar or the same and were also used with factory Skyline RB20DET and RB25DET applications. Just the same, the support is out there these days to install a 2JZ and whatever compatible manual transmission you want.

Although I do think those Z32's need the early 90's OEM add-on TT ducktail rear spoiler parts. They just set off the lines very well, IMO.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-23-17 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 06:22 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Adjusted for inflation, this car was $58k 2017 dollars? For an NA!. No wonder why they didn't sell too many of these.

Beautiful car btw. Keep us posted on the build. And post pics, everyone LOVES pics. lol
Old 10-23-17, 07:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Huh? For some reason I was under the impression that all of those came with a TT motor. Shows you how much I know my Nissans haha.

OP didn't you say you're looking only for turbo cars.

Quick Reply: Sold The SC....Now What???