SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1997 vs 1998

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 07:09 PM
ISsparta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 vs 1998

So hi guys I'm pretty new to club Lexus and I have found myself in a sort've debate that I could use some outside opinions. And disclaimer ( I am poor college kid and I am in search of a car that is reliable mechanically such as 2jz/1uz would love to turbo or super charge but simply can't afford to maintain such significant upgrades so just read this knowing that)

so in July just like 100,000's of other people my beautiful 2002 is300 was destroyed by hurricane Harvey in Houston Texas and I'm in the market for another 90's era Lexus because they are just the freaking best.

ive decided I would really like an sc400 simply for the bulletproof v8 since I already had the 2jzGE but there's a problem, I would love to have a 1998 sc400 for the vvti and 290hp and the 5 speed manual shifters that my is300 had but they are Just so Hard to find and can't find hardly any even looking outside of Texas but I can find a bunch of 97-

so the debate is here, should I wait save up more money and just hold out looking for an sc400 98' or would it be just as good going with a clean 97 sc400 with 260 HP no vvti but have intakes exhaust and other mods that get me back up to the power I was missing without compromising reliability? Would having a 97 with a few mods be just as fun as a 98 sc400? Would I really notice the lack of the VVti? If so what mods would you suggest for an amateur mechanic? I'm really stuck wish there were just more 98's out there. LMK
Old 09-21-17, 08:35 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

If you are set on the 1UZ, wait for a 98+. Not only the added power, but the extra gear (5sp vs 4sp auto) and shifter assembly are the benefits.
Old 09-21-17, 10:43 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

98 came with homelink too(garage door opener). Stick it out and you may even find a 99 or 00. Three-spoke wheel and perforated leather in 99+. The 5spd shiftable transmission and VVTi completely change the SC400 for the better. It's like a different car.
Old 09-22-17, 02:56 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

ISsparta, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your much loved IS.

For a stock SC400 I'd also recommend seeking out a 1998-2000 models. The last two years are the rarest though.

For 1998's the steering wheel can always be updated to another compatible Toyota/Lexus unit provided the airbag adaptor wires are still available for the later type wheels. A factory style Homelink visor module, if you really want one, can also be DIY added to a non-Homelink SC visor just like the ones on '99-'00's got. It just takes a little careful work. The raw modules are available on ebay. Power gets drawn from the vanity light wiring in the visor. I did this to my 1993 and it works and looks like it came that way from Lexus.

The earlier non-VVTi SC400's are just as bulletproof but with less power as you know. If emission testing isn't a hassle in your area you could also do worse than getting a 1992-1997 SC400 in good shape, keep the engine well maintained and stock and make your only other major change to it a manual transmission swap (usually a W58). Being in college and on a budget, however, even that kind of project may not be advisable until you're in a more stable financial position.

It is not quite as many unpredictable and precarious variables as is any turbo JZ engine project in an SC on a tight minimal budget. Supercharging a 1992-1997 1UZ-FE V8 is possible, usually with a fully custom Eaton M112 roots blower installation and an upgraded fuel system, but even an NA-T 2JZ-GE build is a more accessible and more widely supported path... and all forms of forced induction on an SC will begin to escalate your budget rather quickly... especially if you do it with a UZ V8 engine (much custom work for a lot of cash to do it right). Also, the 1998-2000 1UZ-FE V8 with 290hp is not a good candidate for forced induction due to the weaker/thinner connecting rods, weaker pistons and weaker ring lands. It is a great bulletproof stock motor however that will last just as long as the 1992-1997 1UZ's.

An SC300 factory 5-speed manual is also a great choice if you really love driving stick. Turbo engines always help change them dramatically but a lot of fun can be had just with the stock engine against a manual transmission. Sans-turbo I'd only recommend swapping in a 4.27 SC300 Auto rear end with an LSD (and a Yellowbox speedo accuracy recalibrator) to help change its acceleration characteristics.

An LSD helps any SC with or without forced induction but you will spend about $1k getting one. And the hard to find Supra Torsens have different characteristics than most aftermarket 2-way LSDs. Add just a bit more to have one installed with the correct final drive ratio you'll need/want.

Any SC benefits from a 1995-2000 LS400 front brake caliper swap. Mild suspension updating and going through any worn suspension components (Daizen steering rack bushings to replace old OEM ones for instance) do a lot to restore anything the suspension has lost due to age.

On a college budget an SC can still be a good and reliable car if it has been maintained well by previous owners. But I would not focus on high horsepower modified examples and just find the stock starting configuration SC that suits you best and only allow yourself a few choice modifications as you own and enjoy it.

A few basic modifications such as the front brakes, an affordable/reasonable updated suspension, wider 17" or 18" wheels with wider good compound summer tires and a basic 4200k plug and play HID upgrade (I recommend this for safety and visibility; a PnP xenondepot Phillips kit is reliable and not expensive) are not going to be out of a reasonable small budget to keep and maintain one of these cars.

A good condition W58 (getting harder to locate now) swap into an pre-1998 or pre-1996 SC400 could also be a nice final finishing touch for those models... but again even that might be pushing too far into project car territory while you're in college even with the swap kits and knowledge base available to do this.

If you very much prefer driving a manual, a stock engine SC300 5-speed is also a great choice which will not require anything major to be changed. They were notably rated .1 seconds faster stock for stock than 92-97 SC400's (C&D clocked SC300 5-speeds at 6.8 seconds in the 90's). Still not "fast" and about the same as your IS 5-speed I think but certainly fun.

Coming full circle, if you're fine with an automatic transmission then a 1998-2000 SC400 would be a fine choice stock for stock apart from an LS400 front brake caliper upgrade.

All in all, there are many options available to you but I would keep it relatively simple to stay somewhat affordable. I do not recommend getting into any turbo setup with a JZ engine right now nor would I recommend getting into the far less supported and pricey territory of supercharging or turbocharging a 1UZ engine.

An SC400's exhaust note, even after only having removed the stock resonators, is very nice

Oh-- exhaust-wise either an SC300 or SC400 does really well with stock-ish looking M2 (aka Manzo) axle back mufflers. Affordable, good quality and very nice sound from either the I6 or V8.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
ISsparta (09-23-17), tiguy99 (12-22-18)
Old 09-22-17, 05:17 AM
super400
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still on my first car, 93 SC400. I've got 288,400 on the clock. It did me great for college. The 1UZ is ridiculous reliable even more so than the 2JZ. It requires very little maintenance. In the 10+ years my family owned the car I've only had to replace my power steering pump, rack, AC compressor, rear struts, trunk struts, just did the timing belt and water pump. On the mods side, I run LED low beams and led tails. Braum elite racing seats, deleted resonators and I'm about to put a BFI on(best intake for the SC400). Being in college, the 1UZ is very reliable. The earlier ones are cheaper, more mod friendly and slightly more reliable than the later ones. I just replaced my timing belt and water pump for the first time. I was still on the factory ones. You can't do that on 98+. With enough mods you can get the early 250 hp 1UZ up to stock 98+ levels.
Old 09-22-17, 07:19 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Finding a well maintained SC400 of any year should serve you well. If you are patient you should wait it out to find a 98+ 1UZ.
I have a 99 SC400 and it is a blast to drive and super reliable.
Whatever you decide to get good luck with you search.
Old 09-22-17, 11:22 AM
ISsparta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thank you very much for the response seems like now what I'll do is just wait for a good deal, too bad they are just so damn hard to come by. Can you give me a suggestion on how much I should spend for a good one? Looks like they go for between 5-8k, does that sound about right?
Old 09-22-17, 05:13 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

That'll give you an idea why the '98-00 SC400s are so much harder to come by. And with them being that much rarer, owners are significantly less keen to sell them. Trust me, I've been asked a lot.
Old 09-22-17, 06:14 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

It took me a year and a half to find my 99 sc400 but i can tell you it was well worth the wait and if i had the funds i would have probably waited another year if it meant finding one with lower miles with black interior. 98-00 are the best once to look for in the 400 and the newer you get the better it gets. Mine has heated seats as well which are nice to have even in florida. Take your time and find a nice late model 400 and if you dont have the option to wait long enough you may want to consider getting some kind of a beater car off an auction or craigslist for dirt cheap as a temporary solution while you find the SC. Ofcourse thats only if you decide you want to actually take the time to find a late model sc400. Im not sure how much these cars go for in TX but in FL a late model sc400 in REALLY good condition goes between 4-10k depending on miledge. I got lucky and found mine for 3k with the paint being really nice and no major issues mechanically speaking. All it needs is a new o2 sensor and lower control arms, but the down side is that the interior is in less than stellar condition and its got 155k miles on it. More you spend on it out the gate the less headaches youll have down the road but i wouldnt reccomend spending more than ~7k, unless its something like a 2000 SC400 with black interior and 45k miles.

Last edited by - V -; 09-22-17 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-22-17, 10:05 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look into your local insurance/salvage auctions, there are some truly gorgeous SC's on there,
And I'm really hoping the VVT-I 400 cars are as nice they say, I'm 70% done in turning my 92 into a 99