SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door won't unlock and window won't roll up on hot days

Old 09-01-17, 07:23 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Door won't unlock and window won't roll up on hot days

So we've had our share of hot days here in Sacramento and i've encountered this problem 3 times now. My car is parked out in the burning sun all day. I go out to my car and press my remote to unlock it. I get to my door trying opening it and door won't open. The passenger side is unlocked but not the driver. I would have to use my key to open it manually. The lock switches won't lock or open it either from the inside. I will have to toggle the lock itself for it to open or lock. This only happens when my car is out in the sun all day on 100+ degree days. Then today it was 110 degrees and I went to move my car to the shade. I rolled my driver side window down and when i got to the shade to park my car, my window won't roll up. I initially thought it was the regulator. I tried a few more times to roll my windows up but nothing. I left my car and returned to work. I gave it about 30 mins in the shade and went back to see if it'll work. What do you know, it rolled up.... This is the first time I came across this problem. if the car is cool I have none of these problems. Has anyone experienced what i'm going through or heard of anything like this? One more thing, I noticed that when these problems occur, my driver side of the car is facing the sun. Please help. Thanks
Old 09-01-17, 07:43 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

This is odd. I've never heard of this before but it may have to do with the extreme temperature heat soaking the door lock actuator when the sun is directly boring down onto that side of the car. Maybe the electrical solenoid is temporarily overwhelmed. That is a guess.

The window regulator should not be so affected since it is purely mechanical apart from the electric motor to drive the up and down motion. My guess there would be extreme heat expansion enough to cause the works to be too tight to move within their alignment until the temperature of the mechanism cools down enough. Also, it could be the window regulator motor being overwhelmed by heat. Again, just a speculative guess.

Has the door lock actuator that is affected very new? Has it ever been replaced? Window regulators and motors last a very long time and generally don't need replacing but I'd ask the same question about that.

In the case of the driver's side door lock I think it may be the age and wear on the actuator mechanism if it is original to the car.
The following users liked this post:
1of120 (09-01-17)
Old 09-01-17, 08:10 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Door lock actuator has never been replaced by me. I did replace the window regulator a few years back. The wire on it snapped and i heard it was common. All these problems are new to me, i just don't want to get stranded one day somewhere with my windows down.
Old 09-01-17, 08:19 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

cant say anything about doorlocks but the window issue could also be due to the weather seal around the window. As it heats up it could be old enough that when it expands due to heat it does so in the direction of the window and gets it stuck in place. The way to check this would be to lower the window almost all the way down but leave enough of the glass out so that you can grab it with your hands. When its hot enough where the window wont roll up on its own, try pulling the window up while pulling on the window switch and see if it rolls up. if it does, weather seal is likely the issue, if it doesnt....then i dont know.
Old 09-01-17, 09:41 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

The electrical connections are brittle, and the extreme heat is making them disconnect. Try removing the wiring harness from the door and the parts to check the electrical connections. Clean them and resolder the joints and your problems should go away for the door lock. The windows could possibly be the same problem, but it's more likely what vteruni mentioned about the seals expanding. Try what he said, but wear gloves. Glass get really hot and if you touch them with your bare hands it is going to hurt.

The extreme heat would cause problems with electrical connectors in my old Accord Coupe all the time before I ripped everything out and soldered the connections. I had the same problems on my TL with the windows not rolling up in extreme heat too.
1of120 (09-02-17)
Old 09-01-17, 11:38 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

^ Agreed. I've seen electrical issues crop up when the car heats up and interrupts (thermal expansion) an already weak signal.
1of120 (09-02-17)
Old 09-02-17, 09:19 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried looking at the door handle rod snap connector?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...iy-w-pics.html

Hows your window movement when rolling them up or down? Does it feel like its getting caught or there is some tension? I had something similar to what you are explaining but on my passenger side, it ended up being just the snap connector.
Old 09-02-17, 11:22 AM
1of120
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 6SOARER
Have you tried looking at the door handle rod snap connector?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...iy-w-pics.html

Hows your window movement when rolling them up or down? Does it feel like its getting caught or there is some tension? I had something similar to what you are explaining but on my passenger side, it ended up being just the snap connector.
The connector is good and my window's movement is fine. Its working like it should right now as if none of these problems even occurred.