SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Heck with Mods - Part 2, Making my SC look like new

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 11:47 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan that is awesome! Props to you for spending money to make your car look better/perform better than any dealership would have.

I have some questions though.

Why didn't you refresh the look of the car with a front to back 2000 model upgrade, from updated lights, bumpers and moldings, to a 3 spoke steering wheel, updated gauges, gated wood shifter and perforated leather seats?

Just a thought...
Old 02-14-10, 11:37 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

ryan, this was one of the cars that made want to fully restore mines and do all the proper maintenance. glws
Old 02-14-10, 11:52 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 6 years later...

Okay, it’s been a while since I’ve been actively posting on CL. Two kids, two vintage British sports cars and 6 years later, it’s time to say goodbye. I bought a 2006 GS430 as my daily driver a few months ago and I just don’t need the SC400 anymore. I thought I’d pass on a few tips of what went well and what didn’t to help anyone who tries something similar.

Overall:
It basically worked according to plan, quite better in fact. When I made the decision to restore my car and drive it for a few more years, the decision was largely economic. I was planning on driving it for another two or three years and it lasted much longer. It has only been in the last year that I had to spend anything significant on the car (water pump, timing belt, etc).

Wheels:
I kept the original wheels and had them re-chromed. Two problems: 1) You can’t get top of the line performance tires in 16in anymore. In this regard I wish I had put on the GS400 17in wheels instead; 2) If you have wheels re-chromed, go with an expert who focuses on wheels. Some of the chrome hasn’t held up as good as I would have hoped.

Steering Wheel:
Redoing the wheel was a great idea and the new wheel felt great. After a few years though, the wood started getting cracks in the varnish finish and it has gotten worse over time. If I had it redone today I would just do it in leather. Perhaps the quality of AS wood finishes has improved over time, but it was far from OEM quality in terms of durability.

Leather:
The leatherseats.com kit was good and the leather has held up well. The one issue I have experienced is that the stitching in the back has come undone in places. Part of the issue is that the kits were very tight on the seats to begin with. This put stress on the stitches and as they were exposed to sun overtime, they became brittle and broke. Fortunately, I bought lots of extra leather so it would be easy for me to repair this if I desired to. Having redone the interior in a 1966 Triumph recently by a local shop, I now see the value in having the job custom done. You might pay a bit more going this route, but a custom shop can make minor adjustments to fit your car perfectly. One thing I could have done a better job at was conditioning my leather more frequently. If I had done this the leather would be more pliable and this would have put less pressure on the stitches. Realistically, I probably didn’t need to go 100% leather either, especially in the rear.

Suspension:
The combination of the poly bushings and stiffer springs is a little too hard for my taste. The car does handle more aggressively than before on corners and this is nice; however, the tradeoff in comfort is there. If I were to redo this today, I would probably go with something a little softer and closer to stock.

Instrument Cluster:
In retrospect, I should have had the needles redone when I did the other work on the car. My needles were only occasionally flickering and of course only got worse over time. Now they hardly illuminate. The climate control LCD was also an issue. I replaced the climate control system about a year after I started this thread, but over time these LCDs seem to always go dark. Maybe someone has found a solution and the new owner can replace the LCD.

Below is a link to the ad on CL. At this time I am only going to offer it for sale to the CL community. Perhaps a new owner can pick up where I left off. If adding a link is in violation of CL policy, it can be removed. I hope this thread is useful for anyone trying to restore their Lexus. I am rarely on CL, so please don’t be frustrated if it takes me a while to get back to you if you post a question. Oh, one last photo to end with, my new car!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post5229022
Attached Thumbnails The Heck with Mods - Part 2, Making my SC look like new-lexusgs.jpg  
Old 02-15-10, 02:01 AM
fast1IS-SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn. that is one AMAZING sc my friend. perfect. literally PERFECT
Old 02-15-10, 07:31 AM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car looks superb!!!!!

Lots of money put in but it looks like she will give you lots more in return!
Old 02-15-10, 12:09 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your interior is drool-worthy

Jonny
Old 02-15-10, 12:21 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

dam looks we're back in 93....good work!
Old 02-15-10, 12:24 PM
bn_bnntt
Rookie

beautiful car! liscense pate should read: SCTOCK
Old 02-17-10, 02:30 PM
solpowerr
Driver School Candidate

Can you please tell me where you got that AS steering wheel from? It adds that special touch of class to the interior.