SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Good price for a 99 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 11:53 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Good price for a 99 SC?

What is a good price for a white 99 SC400 with 79k miles on it? It is in nice shape, but does have some issue with the power steering. It is growling and I couldn't tell where it was leaking from. The suspension feels a bit soft and the power windows don't work. I also noticed it doesn't have traction control. What do you think is a reasonable price to pay for it given all the repairs it might need? I know the miles are low but I think it has been sitting for a while and not driven much.
Old 04-11-17, 06:47 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

If a 99 sc400 doesnt have traction control its either not an original sc400 or someone removed the trac unit. To my knowledge all SC400 came with traction control. Normally i would say that power windows could just be the regulators but if the car's electrical system has been messed with it could be something more than that. Check the power steering rack bushings. If they are bad the constant shifting of the rack could cause it to leak power steering fluid. If its the pump then youll need to replace it as soon as you can because its likely leaking right on the alternator. The miledge on it is nice but there are alot of red flags if you ask me. Assuming its a clean title with a reasonable amount of owners, the paint and interior is in decent condition, i wouldnt give more than 4k for it.. If the car is actually a 99 then i might go to 5k because 99s are pretty rare. Only 905 made. I would also pay extra if its got a good black interior as those are the most coveted in these cars. Keep in mind im going off prices in Florida.. I see youre in NJ, im not sure what the prices for these cars are like over there but i cant imagine it would be much different. For reference i bought a 99 SC400 with a 9/10 exterior and 7/10 interior, everything working with 150k miles. It needs the timing belt/waterpump service done and there are a few worn out peices in the interior that i will need to change (armrest, steering wheel, shifter ****). Other than that its in great shape. I paid 3200 for it.

Last edited by - V -; 04-11-17 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-11-17, 07:23 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :)

With all the issues you've mentioned I would say Yep at least 4k. The good conditions low mileage ones are getting rarer each day.. Last week I saw a one owner silver/black 99 sc400 with 69k mile locally for $12900. & that's too much i would say lol. Anyway do the research & keep on looking if you're not sure. There are alot of info on this website. Good Luck
Old 04-11-17, 11:05 PM
- V -
Instructor

Originally Posted by totrider
With all the issues you've mentioned I would say Yep at least 4k. The good conditions low mileage ones are getting rarer each day.. Last week I saw a one owner silver/black 99 sc400 with 69k mile locally for $12900. & that's too much i would say lol. Anyway do the research & keep on looking if you're not sure. There are alot of info on this website. Good Luck
Saw that one too. That thing was CLEAN. Its not listed anymore so it looks like it got sold. Dont know for how much though. hehe
Old 04-12-17, 11:58 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vteruni
If a 99 sc400 doesnt have traction control its either not an original sc400 or someone removed the trac unit. To my knowledge all SC400 came with traction control. Normally i would say that power windows could just be the regulators but if the car's electrical system has been messed with it could be something more than that. Check the power steering rack bushings. If they are bad the constant shifting of the rack could cause it to leak power steering fluid. If its the pump then youll need to replace it as soon as you can because its likely leaking right on the alternator. The miledge on it is nice but there are alot of red flags if you ask me. Assuming its a clean title with a reasonable amount of owners, the paint and interior is in decent condition, i wouldnt give more than 4k for it.. If the car is actually a 99 then i might go to 5k because 99s are pretty rare. Only 905 made. I would also pay extra if its got a good black interior as those are the most coveted in these cars. Keep in mind im going off prices in Florida.. I see youre in NJ, im not sure what the prices for these cars are like over there but i cant imagine it would be much different. For reference i bought a 99 SC400 with a 9/10 exterior and 7/10 interior, everything working with 150k miles. It needs the timing belt/waterpump service done and there are a few worn out peices in the interior that i will need to change (armrest, steering wheel, shifter ****). Other than that its in great shape. I paid 3200 for it.

It was definitely a 99, but for some reason I did not see a trac off button. Actually, I even turned the key to accessory and that light did not pop up on the dash. Weird. My 97 had it. I will have to check the pump and the rack to see if I can spot a leak. Hopefully the rack itself is not leaking. I was thinking in the $2500-$3000 range for the car, but not sure if the owner will go that low.
Old 04-12-17, 06:36 PM
- V -
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusdog
It was definitely a 99, but for some reason I did not see a trac off button. Actually, I even turned the key to accessory and that light did not pop up on the dash. Weird. My 97 had it. I will have to check the pump and the rack to see if I can spot a leak. Hopefully the rack itself is not leaking. I was thinking in the $2500-$3000 range for the car, but not sure if the owner will go that low.
I would certainly categorize that as a low ball offer but give it a shot and see how low he goes. A 99 SC400 is definitely rare so if the owner knows what theyve got they wont let it go for that low. Especially with that low of a mileage. Also depends on the color combo. Black interior gives the seller a higher chance of selling it for a premium cost. Especially if its clean. from what we know about the car id say 3500-4000 is a good deal. Anything more than that and youre taking a risk if there is more issues with the car than the owner is saying.
Old 04-22-17, 12:07 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vteruni
That is incorrect, traction control was not standard on any year SC400. ABS was standard but TRAC was an extra cost option. Traction control came as a cold weather package with the heated seats for all model years. If the car doesn't have heated seats, it won't have TRAC. This is not to be confused with the Snow mode that is standard on all SCs since they first came out.
Old 04-22-17, 03:35 PM
- V -
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
That is incorrect, traction control was not standard on any year SC400. ABS was standard but TRAC was an extra cost option. Traction control came as a cold weather package with the heated seats for all model years. If the car doesn't have heated seats, it won't have TRAC. This is not to be confused with the Snow mode that is standard on all SCs since they first came out.
Thanks for correcting me. Thats good information to have
Old 04-22-17, 05:01 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Thread has run it's course . The OP bought the 1999 SC400 and started a new thread about his car found on the Build Thread Section.